XP installs - not all created equal?

jayroller

Ok, first the question, then the possibly specious reasoning behind it. :)

Do Windows XP (Pro) installs vary in stability?

Now, on a semi-regular basis (approx 5 months or so) I have an unerring tendency to do something completely stupid - a bit of a speciality of mine when it comes to computers :D - and at that point I reinstall XP. In the first instance, the basic OS goes on, followed by SP1a (although now of course its one cd with sp1a slipped in - cheers guys :D ), and usually I won't update the rest of the hotfixes for a couple of weeks, if at all (well, just the criticals). Now in the intervening time, I've seemed to notice differences in the stability of the os - nothing major, but little glitches here and there. For example, no matter what I try (regfixes etc), xp currently insists on only remembering the settings for about 60% of folders at any given time, and not always the same folders either. Curious. Other things, like the refresh times of the desktop icons, this time round they're occasionally sluggish Last install was a 'perfect' install, with no problems i could notice at all. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it time for me to start shopping for one of those white, long sleeve jumpers with the arms that tie at the back? :rolleyes:

I would suggest that you get the one with the buckles instead of tying. The bucks are easier for someone to put on you... :rolleyes:

I have noticed what you are saying. For me it is to the point that if I can get things to run smoothly I will live with it. I had a very smooth running system and for some odd reason deiced to do a clean install and it has taken me 3 months to get things almost as good as they were....

:)

You're not alone on this one, every XP install seems slightly different every single time. Microsoft works in mysterious ways unfortunately!

You can fix the problem where specific folders don't remember your view settings by deleting the following keys from the registry and rebooting straight after:

BagMRU and Bags in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\

Here you'll have a other way of sorting that problem out.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...KB;EN-US;813711

The URL gives >> "The article you were looking for, is not currently available, or you may have mis-typed the address. Please check and try again, or return to the Search page to locate the article you need.

View information on how to use search."

:)

Ok, here is what is says.

WORKAROUND

==========

To work around this problem create a BagMRU Size DWORD Value in both of the following registry keys, and then set the value data for both values to the number of folders you want Windows to remember the settings for. For example, to allow Windows to remember the settings for 5000 local folders and 5000 network folders, set both values to 5000.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

Important You may need to adjust the BagMRU Size values for your specific situation. Increasing the BagMRU Size values increases the amount of information stored in the registry. When you use roaming user profiles, registry information is copied to a server when you log off and copied to your local computer when you log on. As a result, you may experience performance issues if you increase the BagMRU Size values for roaming user profiles.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and then click "OK".

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

3. On the "Edit" menu, point to "New", and then click "DWORD Value".

4. Type "BagMRU Size" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

5. On the "Edit" menu, click "Modify".

6. Type "5000" (without the quotation marks), and then "click OK".

Follow these steps:

1. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

2. On the "Edit" menu, point to "New", and then click "DWORD Value".

3. Type "BagMRU Size" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

4. On the "Edit" menu, click "Modify".

5. Type "5000" (without the quotation marks), and then click "OK".