Upcoming Vista User

Dexterous

Hi, I'm looking forward to using Vista a lot and will buy it as soon as a final version is out, so for now I'm just trying to get answers to how tweaking works in Vista compared to XP. In other words - does the freeware tweaking applications out there, like TweakUI, TweakFX etc. work with Vista?

Took a look in the 'Vista Tips and Tweaks' thread above, but that doesn't look too good when compared to tweaks available for XP... so not the same I guess ? :no:

- Jon

Thers always been a problem with tweaks for any of the MS OS line, the fact that a single update could render tweaks ineffective. Vista is no different except that this time everything has changed so there is no basis yet upon which to base overall which tweaks work and which don't other than a persons interaction with the system.

I don't believe the freeware tweaking tools you mentioned fully work with Vista at this time. I've no doubt that there will be some tweaking tools available in the near future. In the mean time there are tons of tweaks available for Vista built into the OS already in the hidden receses of the OS in obscure little places in the various GUI's, and also available such as those in the 'Vista Tips and Tweaks' sections. I've even posted some that work and will continue to work, but I have about 75 more I haven't posted yet that are waiting for the RTM because their effectiveness has changed from build to build so i'm waiting to see if they continue to work in the RTM.

Hi, I'm looking forward to using Vista a lot and will buy it as soon as a final version is out, so for now I'm just trying to get answers to how tweaking works in Vista compared to XP. In other words - does the freeware tweaking applications out there, like TweakUI, TweakFX etc. work with Vista?

Took a look in the 'Vista Tips and Tweaks' thread above, but that doesn't look too good when compared to tweaks available for XP... so not the same I guess ? :no:

- Jon

Edited by Spooky

• 2 weeks later...
Besides not knowing what RTM means

RTM stands for Release to Manfacturing. It is the final build of Vista; the version that eventually ships out to the public. According to Paul Thurrott, it is scheduled to be created next week (possibly tomorrow, even), but not distributed yet.

Welcome to MSFN ;)