Lite Windows

andregcasal

Ok, people, the purpose of this post is to provide a way to shrink your source to the absolute maximum. In this post is provided a "Last Session.ini", that you can use with nLite, that removes ALL the possible components and files. Also included is a little tutorial on how to zero-byte some files that are impossible to remove but don't necessarily need to have information on them. I'll ask you guys to keep it simple, just post links to tutorials on how to slim down Windows installation sources further that nLite, post tutorials, or just post the files you deleted or "zero-byte'd". Please don't post unrelated material as i would like to keep this thread as clean as possible.

Statistics:

ISO file size: 69.4MB

Saved space: 30.6 MB (this is only the beginning!)

RAM consumed: 17.5MB (with no programs running)

Installation time: 5min. (on a fast computer)

changelog

Out, 30

• Added How to zero-byte files instruction
  • Added "Last Session.ini" attachment

Out, 28

• Creation of this topic

How to use the Last Session.ini file

nLite alone you can shrink a CD-size source into roughly 100MB, with the "Last Session.ini" provided in this post you can have a source with about 70MB, that means faster installations and 30 precious extra Megabytes (at least, for now) are taken away from the source.

I will describe a very simple way to use the "Last Session.ini":

1. With nLite aimed to your source, select "Import" in the Presets screen and select the "Last Session.ini" you downloaded from here
  2. In the Remove Components window select "Advanced" and delete the files from the list that you are absolutely sure you need (use the list below)
  3. Do the same with the boxes
  4. For this post we will suppose ALL the boxes where selected so the source is the smallest possible

Use this list to check if you will need a certain file (step 2)

Green files CAN be deleted.

Red files CANNOT be deleted.

Alphabetical order:

8514FIX.FON - 3KB - Don't delete if you need to use fonts for individuals who have low vision. They allow to change system fonts with bigger fonts.

8514OEM.FON - 4KB - Don't delete if you need to use fonts for individuals who have low vision. They allow to change system fonts with bigger fonts.

8514SYS.FON - 3KB - Don't delete if you need to use fonts for individuals who have low vision. They allow to change system fonts with bigger fonts.

61883.INF - 1KB - Driver used by cameras. Don't delete this if you connect your camera thru firewire.

61883.SYS - ...KB - Not present in I386 but is in TXTSETUP.txt... WTF?

ACCESSOR.INF - 6KB - Deleting this file will prevent you from acessing the "Add/Remove Windows Components". See here.

ACLEDIT.DLL - 45KB - Description: Access Control List Editor.

ACLUI.DLL - 44KB

ACPI.INF

ACPI.SYS

ACPIEC.SYS

ACTIVEDS.DLL - 73KB - Don't delete if you use Active Directory Service Interfaces (ADSI).

ACTMOVIE.EXE - 2KB

ADSLDPC.DLL - 67KB

ADVAPI32.DLL

ADVPACK.DLL - 42KB

Random files:

LOGONUI.EXE - 125KB - Windows Logon User Interface. If you delete this file, Windows will display the classic logoff and logon prompts; however, you can reboot to Windows without it.

MSHTA.EXE - 12KB - Non-essencial system process needed to execute HTA files. Don't delete if you use Windows Post-Installation Wizard (WPI).

OEMBIOS.BIN - 12.5MB

OEMBIOS.CAT - 4KB

OEMBIOS.DAT - 4KB

OEMBIOS.SIG - 3KB

YAHOO.BMP - 1KB - No idea. But i suspect it isn't needed.

Components that (i think) should be removed by nLite but aren't:

BATMETER.DLL - 12KB - Don't remove this if your using a laptop.

IMAPI.SYS - 59KB - Don't remove this if you want to use IMAPI burning.

Next to be tested:

AEC.SYS

AFD.SYS

AMDK6.SYS

AMDK7.SYS

How to zero-byte files:
  1. If the file is cabbed, decompress it with WinRAR and delete the cabbed file. When replacing with 0-bit equivalents, you should rather have a .CAT extension (not .CA_)
  2. Open with Notepad
  3. Select all (Ctrl+A) and delete
  4. Save file

List of files that can be zero-byte'd:

All CAT files inside ASMS can be "zero-byted" - 55KB

SPx.CAT - 416KB (x beeing the Service Pack number)

MSTSWEB.CAT - 5KB

HPCRDP.CAT - 6KB

OSCCAB.CAT - 7KB

I could use a hand testing the txtsetup.txt files :whistle:

Last_Session.ini

Edited by andregcasal

I may be wrong but imapi.sys is not necessarilly only related to IMAPI Burning.
IMAPI.sys = IMAPI Kernel Driver, see http://www.dynamiclink.nl/htmfiles/rframes...s/info_i/40.htm . It looks like it is only used with IMAPI burning. I'll try burning a CD without this file asap.

EDIT: Test successfully completed. imapi.sys CAN be deleted and it won't be needed for burning software.

Edited by andregcasal

logonui.exe = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0 - Windows Logon User Interface. If you delete this file, Windows will display the classic logoff and logon prompts; however, you can reboot to Windows without it.
When we remove LogonUI.exe and reboot to Windows, it asks for an Administrator password, which is blank. Does anyone know how to bypass this so Windows log's on directly to the desktop? Edited by andregcasal

First 10 entries tested, with a total of 14 files that can be deleted from the Windows source, saving 274 KB of precious space. Now i'm going to do a break. Maybe tomorrow i test 10 more. If someone is interested in slimming down your source, feel free to test and report back to us :)

See you around,

André Casal