Not all Services Start when computer boots up...

karl_009

Hey,

Am new to using nlite and I have looked every where to find a similar problem like this and I have found one or two that come close but still no joy in what’s going wrong.

I made a custom WinXP CD with these setting and tweaks;

[Components]

;# Keyboards #

All the ones I don’t need

;# Languages #

All the ones I don’t need

;# Network #

MSN Explorer

Windows Messenger

;# Compatibility #

Compat01

Compat02

Compat03

Compat04

Compat06

Compat07

Compat08

Compat09

Compat11

Compat13

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]

clock.avi

[Options]

ClassicSetup

ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

TargetPath = "WINDOWS"

temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

AdvTweaks

[Patches]

[services2]

[Tweaks]

Boot and Shutdown-Ctrl-Alt-Del at logon-Enabled

Boot and Shutdown-Logon Page-Classic

Boot and Shutdown-Status Messages-Extended

Desktop-Internet Explorer icon-Show

Desktop-My Computer icon-Show

Desktop-My Documents icon-Show

Desktop-My Network Places icon-Show

Desktop-Recycle Bin icon-Show

Explorer-Classic Control Panel

Explorer-Show hidden and system files

Internet Explorer-Set Homepage-www.google.com

My Computer-Add Administrative Tools

Network-Allow receiving Remote Assistance-Disable

Network-Disable Simple File Sharing

Network-Remote Desktop-Disable

Privacy-Disable Error Reporting

Start Menu-Add Administrative Tools menu

Start Menu-Show IE Favorites

Taskbar-Disable Language-Bar

Taskbar-Disable Windows Tour popup

[unattended]

DisableOem

ComputerType = Automatic

HibernationNo

CustomLocales

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12

RestorePointLife = 30

DefaultThemesOff

DefaultStartPanelOff

DesktopTheme = Windows Classic|Windows Classic stye|Normal

AutoUpdates = 4

AutoUDay = 5

AutoUHour = 15

ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

So with all these settings I make an bootable ISO and test it on MS Virtual PC 2004 before copying it to CD but every time I install XP to the VPC, four services have started they are;

Plug and Play

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Terminal Services

Windows Audio

The rest are just stopped, yet all the “Start up Types” are at there defaults but they just don’t start.

Hope you can help me with this problem or tell me where am going wrong.

Thanks

Karl

Hey,

I know about the service DCOM Server Process launcher but that is one of many that don’t start when the computer boots when I make the custom CD I do not remove or change any of the service but most of them still don’t start.

Any ideas what might be causing them not to....

Thanks

Alot of services are dependant on others....for example you might have 3 enabled and will get a popup that they can't start because of one that is disabled....you will have right click on a Service Properties then check the tab 'dependencies'...though Nlite is a good tools for some..its a nightmare for many.

Check your event log. Best to leave the services alone and manually configure them later.

Look for a program called pserv. When you have your services set up the way you want them, make an xml template that you can load for each new install.

Edited by Grope For Luna

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, i've been spending a while making my own all-in 1 XP DVD and the last few test burns did exactly the same thing.

As well as installing stuff like firewalls, & all those lovely add-ons those cleaver people have made, i've put OFFICE in there and created my own .cmd files that alter both the order of and the icons for folders in the Start Menu. i also altered a lot of system/drive icons too.

sorry, rambling...

anyways for some reason some of the services didn't start like you say.

i think it all came down to what i was installing after the 1st main reboot after XP had finished installing itself, or something and BASICALLY the machine needed ANOTHER restart to get those services working

in the last cmd file (called cleanup) i put the line:

ECHO.

ECHO Restarting the PC in 1 minute...

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 1 minute, this will give

enough time for the shortcuts to update and for the shell to fully load before its ready to restart!"

then issued some clean up commands (delete temp files, move etc)

and this seemed to work ok for for that install (well i restarted by hand...i wasnt going to waste both another DVD & the long time to install the stuff again, but i strongly believe it 2b the prob' on mine)

hope this helps

:)

In some of my posts Nuhi has said there is an issue with either removing or disabling services with nlite. It seems that its more trouble then its worth really. Everytime I use it something strange happens and either something I want is gone or some other service is not available.

I would recommend making a new disc and keep all services default and trying not to remove any. See if the same thing happens then. I bet your problem will go away.

Hey ppl,

Thanks for all ya advice, using the process of elimination I found the problem that was causing my XP CD to stop working.

I was using the oobe_cleaner.cmd from this post ---> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...414&hl=oobe

an when I left this out everything seemed to be working fine nlite seems to do the job :D:D just thought I would let everyone know incase anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks again.....