Yet Another XP Mod - yAXM Project

Thanks a lot for trusting me. :w00t:

I'm going to update the different programs then check webcams and bluetooth both work correctly (eventually I have the corresponding hardware and two really different hardware configurations).

I think I'll make a new thread when ready (be more readable and more appealing). ;)

Windows installed successfully on a real machine.

List of success:

• Bluetooth and webcams work without problem
  • No software refused to install, no problem with IE7
  • Good stats everywhere
    • 17 minutes to install (or even less), from the real beginning (booting from CD), including 2 minutes to format the drive
    • 90 seconds to copy all files (textmode part)
    • 20 seconds to boot on a laptop from POST
    • see the attached screenies

List of problematic things

• UAA (KB888111) should be integrated
  • I got a "invalid workgroup name" error during setup, this made the setup not unattended; this did not occur inside VMWare and in both cases windows was unable to find any network-related component at this stage of setup.
  • Windows' display was set to 8-bit color which was really ugly.
  • Some softwares to update (Maxthon, N++...), some others to delete (CPU-Z which has no interest here and should be updated weekly, and nVu which is far from being a nice app imho)
  • The "Automatic Updates" service is not removed by nlite, I'll add the corresponding files in the remove box nuhi told me it was needed by IE7
  • lots of apps are .7z files which are extracted during setup using 7za.exe so you see tons of command boxes. But I now know how to easily get rid of them.

:)

PS: This screenshots were taken before installing any driver.

PS2: one of the svchost is corresponding to DCOM, I don't really know what to do with this. And of course, wuauclt.exe should be removed.

PS3: once again PAE is activated. This looks like a SP2 problem and it is a big waste of resources (-30% memory)

post-57090-1163261421_thumb.png

post-57090-1163261431_thumb.png

post-57090-1163261442_thumb.png

post-57090-1163261520_thumb.png

post-57090-1163261528_thumb.png

Edited by Camarade_Tux

I know nothing about MUI : I never had any chance to play with this.

I still need to write a few small progs. The one I'm thinking to ATM will be used for translation : I updated one file and this prog make translated copies of it. In fact it should be ready but I can't make up my mind on the syntax. I think I'll go for:

string_to_translate§§translated_string

Also, because of IE7, I have to check all my IE-related tweaks.

Modular, as modules, sections, parts, for example, I want to know how do you get an 134mb cd, it's interesting for me, I'm trying to do an WXP spanish edition that can be so fast and small in size, it¡s amazing what you had designed with start times and size and all this things....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very busy at school but I still work on this.

I've made the process a bit cleaner (less files on the CD, less windows poping). And I broke a bunch of things (used UniExtract to get .7z files instead of installers but did not update all entries yet).

I'm checking that I can remove Automatic Updates without affecting IE7 (nlite doesn't remove this service if IE7 is slipstreamed).

Also, I am moving localization and registration data outside the installers. So I can easily remove my registeration infos from the CD and you may easily put yours (though >90% are freewares). And for the localization, this is easier to maintain, takes less space on the CD and on the hard drive, and I can put as many langages as I need to (localizations are always space hungry : > 50MB for all softs).

@Cygnus, Christmas holidays are hopefully close. :w00t:

@bionicmaster, I rely heavily on .7z archives. For an application, I usually expand the whole archive to a directory (that can be changed) and then, I have a script that will discover the langage of windows and that will only put the needed langage on the HD. Same applies to registration data as I said.

So you won't find real modules but rather big archives (this saves quite a lot of space) and there are scripts that dynamically decide what to extract.

I don't know if I'm clear so I'll post an example when I'm back home.

PS: I'll try to get a test release in two weeks. ;)

I'm very busy at school but I still work on this.

Best of luck with your studies!

I'm checking that I can remove Automatic Updates without affecting IE7 (nlite doesn't remove this service if IE7 is slipstreamed).

Excellent I'd LOVE for that to be removed!

Also, I am moving localization and registration data outside the installers. So I can easily remove my registeration infos from the CD and you may easily put yours (though >90% are freewares). And for the localization, this is easier to maintain, takes less space on the CD and on the hard drive, and I can put as many langages as I need to (localizations are always space hungry : > 50MB for all softs).

WOW this sounds like a great feature...

PS: I'll try to get a test release in two weeks. ;)

Excellent, but take your time (even tho I'm salivating at the thought of this!)

:thumbup CT! :wub::lol:

Edited by piXelatedEmpire

In 7 days, I will have loads of time to test it. However, I think I'm going to work with my dad after the 27th. Either way though, I'll have quite a bit of time to test this out. And, it'll be tested on a PII 366 Latitude CPi that I'm getting for Christmas :P

Since I'm about to make a test release, I'd like to improve the first post of this topic. Which points do you think should be more developped, what is not being explained, do you want more details on how to customize it further ? And so on. Thanks. :)

My problem is I've spent so much time on this that it's hard to expose it to somebody who in fact knows nothing about it. :(