User's on Win2k3 server are unable to read certain files

seskanda

I installed active directory on Windows server 2003 Standard, and everything works fine when i log in as administrator. However, when i created a domain user, and then (after much trouble) was able to login as the user; i can't view/open any type of document (txt, doc, etc.) or archive (zip, rar, etc.) I either get an 'Access is denied' error or some thing incoherent shows up in the file. What can i do? I am still fairly new to Win2k3 and AD. I do know that it revolves around permissions; i just don't how to set them, especially in this case.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by seskanda

Domain users shoud NEVER be able to log on locally to the server box, unless using Remote Desktop!

I know this, so i found out a website that told how to let domain users log on the server. Nonetheless, assigning the user to the builtin Operator groups: Backup, Server, etc. still does NOT allow them to view docs and archives.

Domain users shoud NEVER be able to log on locally to the server box, unless using Remote Desktop!

I know this, so i found out a website that told how to let domain users log on the server. Nonetheless, assigning the user to the builtin Operator groups: Backup, Server, etc. still does NOT allow them to view docs and archives.

you have to assign certain right through ACL on the folders you want users to access, but again, if you can, avoid allowing your users logon locally on the server box.