Advise on Network Tweaks section

coucou

I follow these easy steps to get F&P Sharing to work:

A) Enable File and Printer Sharing Exception in the Windows Firewall (Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Exceptions Tab -> Check File and Printer Sharing).

B ) Disable Simple File Sharing (Windows Explorer -> Tools Menu -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> Uncheck Simple File Sharing)

C) In Windows Explorer Right Click folder/drive/ect. you wish to share -> Sharing and Security -> Sharing Tab -> Click the Share This Folder Radio Button -> Enter your share name -> Click Permissions -> Cick on Everyone -> Click Remove.

Now comes the part where you have to decide, what kind of users should be able to view this share? Usually for security reason mine is set to Administrator ONLY. This is how it's done for the Administrator:

Click Add button -> Click the Advanced Button -> Click Find Now Button -> Pick the User Type when it's done searching (which in this case is Administrators (Your PC NAME)) -> Click OK button -> Click OK Button

Now you decide what should this user class be able to do? Let's say you wish them to be able to Read and Modify files: Simply click the checkboxes next to the Action (ie. Check Read (where it says Allow) and Check Modify).

You can add as many User Classes and their respective rights here, You can also select a Specific User there.

Once More click OK. and Again.

And Voila your Folder is shared on the LAN. Printers are Exactly the same Except you Right Click on the printer -> Properties and then Select Sharing and then it's just the same old same old.

Now when you browse the Workgroup and select the PC it's going to ask you for the Username and Password Unless you chose Everyone as the Users Class (BE VERY CAREFULL!! USERS ON THE INTERNET CAN ACCESS YOUR FILES IF YOU DO THIS! Provided you are running your Internet connection bridged and it's on a ethernet connection, although this almost never happens it's possible...). If you want to avoid this sort of thing then simply create a user profile of the same name on each of the PC's (Ie. My username is Gnome of usertype Administrator and each PC in the Network has a User Gnome that is a Administrator). If your logged on as this user you can browse all the respective PC's that have your user class in their share and also present on their computer.

Hope this makes sense....

Edited by Gnome

hmm perhaps you have some of the basic stuff not setup for sharing. If it is setup right then its most likely some kinda of reg entry that is wrong. Post your reg entrys for networking and maybe someone can find a problem in them. With all the windows updates I have noticed many reg entries get broken over time and some actually make things worse instead of improving things. I think I might start a thread on network reg entries and finally get a definative list of the best ones to use based on connection type.

Does anyone know if someone else has already posted such a list?

Edited by Madhits45

Finally peopple come to help :) .... I despair. Many many TNX

computer 1 (PC1) start File and Printers sharing without doing nothing

@Camarade_Tux:

Can you ping the machine ?
ping works on both PC1 and PC2 when it follow by the address ex:
ping 168.192.X.X

When i send a ping with the computer name ex:

ping PC_name

It works from PC1 but NOT from PC2.

This gave me the idea to connect PC2 via Windows Explorer/address typing the IP address instead of the Computer_Name ex:

\\168.192.X.X\SharedDocs

IT WORKS :D:D:D

What i have to do in order my computer accept connection to a Computer_Name?

In other world Is there anywhere to translate the IP address to Computer_Name??

Maybe a firewall is blocking traffic. This often happens as Netbios is a real security problem.
M$ Firewall is disabled. I've Symantec firewall (disabled or enabled same problem).
Open a cmd prompt and type "netstat -an" in on both machines : do you see ports 135/137/138/139, 445 ?
YES on both.

BTW, on PC2 i've more ports opened like:

TCP	[::]:7				 [::]:0				 LISTENING	   0
TCP [::]:9 [::]:0 LISTENING 0

What does mean?

Should i close those ports? If so, how?

@Gnome:Very interesting.

A) and B ) was already done.

C) In Windows Explorer Right Click folder/drive/ect. you wish to share ->
I'm looking first for the standard "SharedDocs" and "Printers and Faxes" works. When is done I'll use yr advise.

@Madhits45:

Post your reg entrys for networking
May you let me know WHAT REGs? They're so many...

Regards

coucou

Edited by coucou

coucou- I guess you dont have a seperate network reg file like I do. I keep one specific for those entries to narrow down problems. Seperating them out would be tough. I did it some time ago to fix issues and make it easyer to find problems. If you can do that I'd like to see if we both have something thats the same and maybe causing network slow downs with IE and other apps. I also have that 40-60sec wait time that you have with IE. Wireless however seems to be faster when opening a webpage first time (10-15sec's). Wired is my issue and its both with IE6 and IE7 so its something else for sure.

If anyone has a suggestion I'd be glad to hear it. ANYONE.. THX

Edited by Madhits45

coucou I think the reason why you can only use IP instead of Computer Names is because of the one Network Tweak. Hide PC In Workgroups/Domain? I know you said you're not on a Domain, but as far as I know you do have to be in a Workgroup to be able to share files and printers right?

And here's some questions of my own.

I'm going to be making an nLite'd XP for my gf's computer. Well the way I usually create mine the file & print sharing never works afterwards. Because simply put I don't need them.

But she's going to be using a shared printer at her house. So I have a few questions as well regarding this thread. For one I'll be needing print sharing only, I could careless about file sharing.

In the Component Removal of nLite under Network will NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol be needed for printer sharing? Also anything else needed in that section?

Also in the Operating System Options section is there any specific Command-Line Tools I should keep for printer sharing? I usually just keep ipconfig.exe, as I never use any of the others! Visual Basic Scripting Support?

And then in the Services section. Application Layer Gateway? Distributed Transaction Coordinator? I know SNMP must be kept, and the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, and Universal Plug and Play Device Host!

And then the Network tweaks, I'm sure some of them have to effect the way print sharing is used!

Just ridiculous the crap you need to share a frickin printer :no: I mean is there anyway to share a printer without having to resolve to XP's native way?

I've attached my session.

Thanx in advance!

LAST_SESSION.INI

coucou I think the reason why you can only use IP instead of Computer Names is because of the one Network Tweak. Hide PC In Workgroups/Domain? I know you said you're not on a Domain, but as far as I know you do have to be in a Workgroup to be able to share files and printers right?

As far i remember i did not use "Hide PC In Workgroups/Domain" in Network Tweak.

May someone tell me what reg to check for that function???

Is there a reg to check/modify enabling to use Computer Names instead of IP.

Regards

coucou