Quick Launch

Use a VBS file, but you have to run it after the system starts... Here is the source of the file that Im using... Just copy and paste and rename to XXX.VBS...

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.Run "control.exe"

Wscript.Sleep 5000

WshShell.AppActivate "Control Panel"

Wscript.Sleep 1000

WshShell.SendKeys "^{TAB}"

Wscript.Sleep 600

WshShell.SendKeys "^{TAB}"

Wscript.Sleep 600

WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"

Wscript.Sleep 2000

WshShell.SendKeys "t"

Wscript.Sleep 600

WshShell.SendKeys "t"

Wscript.Sleep 600

Wscript.Sleep 2500

WshShell.AppActivate "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties"

Wscript.Sleep 1000

WshShell.SendKeys "%q"

Wscript.Sleep 600

Wscript.Sleep 5000

WshShell.AppActivate "Control Panel"

Wscript.Sleep 1000

WshShell.SendKeys "{TAB}"

Wscript.Sleep 600

Wscript.Sleep 600

Wscript.Sleep 600

Wscript.Sleep 2500

WshShell.SendKeys "%{F4}"

Wscript.Sleep 1000

Cheers

HFA

ok I have a batch file that does allot of work it checks for the install files and if it does not find the ones for my apps it asks for a 2nd cd then that batch itself lanches all the inf files to get the pretty looking stuff going. This does the grunt work. The inf installer then does most all of the installs.

As a final thing the inf installer then calls my custom.cmd the custom does all my custom bits. It deletes unwanted backgrounds and screen savers. Deltes links off my desktop. Deletes some quick links. And does whatever little bits I need it also executes the vb script. The inf installer for some reason does not like to call vb scripts. I even call it correctly but oh well. Also to note i use a little progy called cmdow that hides my command windows so you dont see the ugliness.

The custom.cms would also be were I would add custom favorites and the like If I used ie. I have also found a command line version of rar that does not need any reg hacks or the like ot get it working. It is compiled from linux sources for use on windows. I will most likely use 7zip though as it compresses better than rar by a fairly good amount.

Rar is only about comaprable to microsofts cab. They both produce files very simmilar in size and although smaller than zip 7zip still beats them out.

I had 16 megs of files zip cut them down to 13 megs cab and rar were about 10 megs and 7zip was 9 megs.

Great, ill give this a try today.

@webmedic - I modified one of the inf files you posted in another topic and used this to run a .vbs

HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Applying Icon Layout Script",0,  "wscript \install\\iconlayout.vbs"

I also have a question for you, in the same example you gave you use %systemdrive% in most of the runonce statements but in the [strings] section you give systemdrive="C:" - How does this deal with an alternate drive leter during install?

Thanks

Paul

ok here is the thing for the registry it does not translate the %systemdrive% variable like everything else does so you have to provide that. Now I ried to make it as easy as possible for the majority of people by setting it up that way but if you want to do something really custom you will need to change that drive letter.

Great, ill give this a try today.

@webmedic - I modified one of the inf files you posted in another topic and used this to run a .vbs

HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Applying Icon Layout Script",0,  "wscript \install\\iconlayout.vbs"

Paul

thanks for that I was using csscript instead of wsscript.

I can't get this to run properley.

If i run it after my desktop has appeared it runs fine but when i add it as the last entry in my startup.cmd / inf it either completes before the desktop starts or the start menu poping up inhibits it from running correctly.

Any ideas?

Paul

yup just fine I use this comand in my cmd file.

start cmdow /run /hid cscript %systemdrive%\install\system\Tools\quick_links.vbs

you could just use this though

start cscript %systemdrive%\install\system\Tools\quick_links.vbs

cmdow is a little progy that you can use to hide windows.

Can we just clear something up.

hfa71 & webmedic the keys and cmd you speak of, when are they started? before the desktop loads and after minisetup or after the desktop appears.

I only have one startup.inf that is called from the guirunonce section of winnt.sif and this does all of my mods at the end it fires the vbs for the quicklaunch but it appears to have completed before the desktop starts or is inhibeted by the start menu poping up.

:)

ok I dont have an first_boot.inf that does all the work for guirunonce. It does behind the scenes stuff and it starts up my apps.inf. My apps.inf then as it's very last step to run cutomize.cmd.

Customize.cmd does all my cleanup work and as it's very last step it does this.

When all this completes of course at returns controle back over to first_boot.cmd which I then use this in.

shutdown -r -f -t 60 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 1 minute, this will give enough time for the shortcuts to update and for the shell to fully load before its ready to restart!"

I find that one minute is just long wnough to do all this stuff that the quick_launch.vbs neds to do. Now this is under virtualpc so under reall ghardware it would neot need this much time but 1 minute is still good for me. Then the system reboots when it comes back up all is good to go.

That vb script is not that hard to do. I also found I have better use by running the vb scripts from batch files than from inf files.