IE 7 - Breaks RunOnceEx?

I have an interesting problem. No matter how I install IE7 (unattended install of stock IE7 download at T-13 through svcpack.inf, unattended in RunOnceEx through IEAK customized install), after IE7 is installed RunOnceEx will not run at all. The registry entries are imported, but they are not executed.

I have also tried to execute RunOnceEx without a reboot using the (rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess) command, nothing runs.

Before you ask, yes, my copy of Windows is genuine.

The only variable is IE 7. On installs with the same exact updates and programs, but no IE7, RunOnceEx works fine.

Anybody have any ideas? Is this by design in IE 7? I know one other person had a similar problem in a previous post, is it just us or is anybody else seeing this?

I'm pretty sure that IE7 creates RunOnceEx entries of its own. When I updated my PC, I got a window that looked like the RunOnceEx output the first time I rebooted it. I should verify that on a virtual machine and see if that really is the case...

i am having the exact same problemm, and i have been baffled by this problem for almost 2 days which i ultimately tracked down to IE7 just like you. RunOnceEx works fine until you install IE7 and reboot. after that its bye-bye RunOnceEx . i dunno if it is purposely disabled with some hidden variable to enable/disable, or if it is a bug.

RunOnce still works but it has it own quirks and is not as neat as RunOnceEx.

So just scratching my head for now, until somebody comes up with something better :wacko:

Edited by studguy1

• 2 weeks later...
i am having the exact same problemm, and i have been baffled by this problem for almost 2 days which i ultimately tracked down to IE7 just like you. RunOnceEx works fine until you install IE7 and reboot. after that its bye-bye RunOnceEx . i dunno if it is purposely disabled with some hidden variable to enable/disable, or if it is a bug.

RunOnce still works but it has it own quirks and is not as neat as RunOnceEx.

So just scratching my head for now, until somebody comes up with something better :wacko:

I am glad I found this thread because I am having the same problem. I may need to put a ticket in with MS on this.

Edited by snooz

This is occuring due to a change in the iernonce.dll file. You can still launch the RunOnceEx process by copying the IE6 version of the iernonce.dll file into any location and executing the runonceex command using it, but IE7's iernonce.dll file is the culprit. Not sure if it's by design or an unintended consequence, but that's the long and short of it.

This is occuring due to a change in the iernonce.dll file. You can still launch the RunOnceEx process by copying the IE6 version of the iernonce.dll file into any location and executing the runonceex command using it, but IE7's iernonce.dll file is the culprit. Not sure if it's by design or an unintended consequence, but that's the long and short of it.

Hey Club,

If you replace the ieronce.dll in system32 and dllcache did you notice any adverse symptoms in IE7 or did it work perfect?

The proper way to do this in Beta 1 was to slipstream using

IE7BETA1-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe /INTEGRATE:D:\XPCD

After Beta1 the /INTEGRATE switch disappeared, which has quite a few people in the ms newsgroups in wondering what happened. The best you can do is hope that nLite will be able to do it soon (tI've heard it will work in the next version) or hope that MS releases a new installer that will allow slipstreaming (/INTEGRATE switch)

-jdhawk

After Beta1 the /INTEGRATE switch disappeared, which has quite a few people in the ms newsgroups in wondering what happened. The best you can do is hope that nLite will be able to do it soon (tI've heard it will work in the next version) or hope that MS releases a new installer that will allow slipstreaming (/INTEGRATE switch)

-jdhawk

How is this relevant?

-jdhawk

How is this relevant?

Haha. Its an informative post. You're right, I did not in fact provide a solution, just some information on the subject since I have been toiling over this issue myself.

Slipstreaming used to work (Beta1) and I have a feeling that it will work in the near future. You've been able to slipstream every other IE install, and I'm sure this one will eventually be the same way.

Good luck "putting in a ticket" to MS to make their installer work in a post install script though (which will probably be ignored)

-jdhawk

How is this relevant?

Haha. Its an informative post. You're right, I did not in fact provide a solution, just some information on the subject since I have been toiling over this issue myself.

Slipstreaming used to work (Beta1) and I have a feeling that it will work in the near future. You've been able to slipstream every other IE install, and I'm sure this one will eventually be the same way.

Good luck "putting in a ticket" to MS to make their installer work in a post install script though (which will probably be ignored)

We are not trying to install IE7 through runonceex. We are trying to install other things through runonceex and since IE7 is installed it doesn't work. IEAK, installer etc is fine but this is a bug in the dll. I open a case submit the bug and they either know about it or not but either way it is non-decrement since it is a bug. They will fix it.

This post bears a striking similarity to the one I posted here. :P

Good news. Until the hotfix is available, I've just moved IE7 down to the bottom of my RunOnceEx.cmd file with the /forcereboot switch, so that the other stuff I want to install via RunOnceEx installs properly. After IE7 installs, the system gets rebooted, but there are no more RunOnceEx things for the new dll to mess up.

• 4 weeks later...
Good news. Until the hotfix is available, I've just moved IE7 down to the bottom of my RunOnceEx.cmd file with the /forcereboot switch, so that the other stuff I want to install via RunOnceEx installs properly. After IE7 installs, the system gets rebooted, but there are no more RunOnceEx things for the new dll to mess up.

I put it just before the cleanup.cmd line in RunOnceEx.cmd and used /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart

and used the cleanup to reboot.

seems to work just fine :)

edit: seems I was a bit premature :(

It works, but only after rebooting the second time.

Edited by mrfret