Users and computernames

Hello,

I'm almost ready with my first unattended XP-cd. I've made it with all the help I could find on this site.

There a few little things that I don't understand:

1- I've one DVD and many computers to install. These computers must al have a different name and all those PC's have different users. Is it possible that every installation gets its unique name. I read something about a UDF, but how does that works?

2- I use OnceRunEx.cmd (made with the OnceRunEx.cmd creator). When I start the .cmd on a VM, I see how office is installed, but later on, it isn't vissible in the startmenu, it is not even installed. The installation of Adobe is good.

example of my OnceRunEx.cmd:

mdow @ /HID

@Echo Off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\win51ip.SP2 SET CDROM=%%i:

SET PP=%cdrom%\Software\

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Programs" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Microsoft Office 2003 std NL" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%PP%office2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%PP%Adobereader7\ar7.msi /qb-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Sun Java 1.4.2" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%PP%SunJava\jre-1_5_0_09-windows-i586-p-s.exe /s /v/qn" /f

EXIT

Who can help me?

Kind regards,

Danny

1- I've one DVD and many computers to install. These computers must al have a different name and all those PC's have different users. Is it possible that every installation gets its unique name. I read something about a UDF, but how does that works?

You can only use that option when you're installing Windows via winnt32.exe:

/udf:id[,UDB_file]

Indicates an identifier (id) that Setup uses to specify how a Uniqueness Database (UDB) file modifies an answer file (see the /unattend entry).

The UDB overrides values in the answer file, and the identifier determines which values in the UDB file are used. For example, /udf:RAS_user,Our_company.udb overrides settings specified for the RAS_user identifier in the Our_company.udb file. If no UDB_file is specified, Setup prompts the user to insert a disk that contains the $Unique$.udb file.

If you start the computer from the Windows product CD and run an unattended Setup, you cannot use the /udf command-line option for Winnt32.exe.

You're probably better off specifying UnattendMode=DefaultHide in your answer file and then leaving out the ComputerName, FullName and OrgName entries. That way you'll be prompted for this information during setup.

2- I use OnceRunEx.cmd (made with the OnceRunEx.cmd creator). When I start the .cmd on a VM, I see how office is installed, but later on, it isn't vissible in the startmenu, it is not even installed. The installation of Adobe is good.

It sounds like the installation is rolled back. By default Office 2003 creates installation log files in the %TEMP% folder. See if there's any error messages in those. You may need to specify the full path to the transform file, but I'm not sure about that. Alternatively, use the /qr switch instead of /qb- to get some more information during Office setup.