ACPI multiprocessor or MPS multiprocessor?

sonnet

Can anyone explain me the difference?

I'm making a light version of windows server 2003 and I have this to select on computer type.

On my pc I have a dual core Intel.

Can anyone explain me as well what to select on "Data execution prevention"?And should I disable "OEM preinstall"?

Edited by sonnet

You'll want ACPI. The main difference is power management.

DEP:

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help prevent malicious code from running on a system. In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, DEP is enforced by hardware and by software.

The primary benefit of DEP is to help prevent code execution from data pages. Typically, code is not executed from the default heap and the stack. Hardware-enforced DEP detects code that is running from these locations and raises an exception when execution occurs. Software-enforced DEP can help prevent malicious code from taking advantage of exception-handling mechanisms in Windows.

Back to the top

"OEM PREINSTALL" - depends

about DEP: if you want extreme security, set it to "always on", for increased (default) security, set it to "optin". If you (like me) hate those annoying messages confirming that you really want to load an app you just downloaded or the activex installation blocking "feature", set it to "alwaysoff"