network slooooooooooow

cspm2003

hey, it's me again with a nother network problem. I got my network all setup, 1 server, 6 clients, and in the beginning everything was really good. But since today everything is just slow. It takes like 5 minutes till the contents of my mapped network drive on the server get displayed, and datatransfer is very slow to.

someone knows why tbe network would slow down that much, or how I can tweak it?? thx

To start with, you can disable the scheduled tasks on networks to speed up things a bit. Browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\ and delete the key:

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

And, in your NIC Properties (in Device Mananger only) change the network speed from Auto Detect to 100Mpbs TX Full Duplex. Do this on 2 machines to test.

Have you checked the router? How old is the router? New? Old?

Wait, you might want to scan your server for viruses! :) First unplug the server, and leave the other PCs connected and see if there is a change in speed...Or try pinging each individual client...

It's a brand new linksys router. I dont think/hope the pcs are infected with any kind of virus, I have norton antivirus corp. server running on the server, fully updated, and norton antivirus corp. clients on each workstation. Could it be that that slows it down? The AV clients are managed by the server

I would check all computers if one's not running some network/internet activity thats overloading your router...Also, upgrade all drivers for lan cards and upgrade firmware for router (if you have some decent knowledge of that sort, i take no responsibility)

Hope that helps any..

I would check all computers if one's not running some network/internet activity thats overloading your router...Also, upgrade all drivers for lan cards and upgrade firmware for router (if you have some decent knowledge of that sort, i take no responsibility)

Hope that helps any..

I checked the intranet status of the server, it was at 4% of its max