[Question] Multiple Hard Drives

<SparTacuS>

In the days of DOS and FAT32/16 it was possible to make one drive appear as a diectory of another - effectively making multiple drives appear as one (bigger) drive.

The command escapes me now (a senior moment) and I was wondering if such a thing is possible under XP.

Thanks jondercik.

For anyone interested - The DOS command that my old grey cells were refusing to recall was:

JOIN d: [d:path]

JOIN d: [/D]

Purpose: Allows access to the directory structure and files of a drive through a directory on a different drive. (In DOS Version 6, this program is stored on the DOS supplemental disk.)

After joining a drive to a directory, the files stored on the joined drives can be accessed as if they were on the specified directory.

Anybody know of a 3rd party way to do this?

I guess I should have searched more B4 asking -

The answer is to convert the disks to dynamic disks and create a spanned volume.

MS links for this;

Convert to dynamic

Spanned volumes

Edited by <SparTacuS>

not under XP, server can though

XP can do this. You can mount the partition in an empty NTFS directory to get more space.

To do mount a drive into an empty NTFS folder.

1. If your system drive isn't NTFS already, make it so by typing the following command into a command prompt: convert %systemdrive% /FS:NTFS
  2. Create a folder on the system drive. Let's call it C:\Other for now.
  3. Go to right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
  4. Select Disk Management and find the second drive.
  5. Right click on the partition on the second drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths
  6. Click on Add and select Mount in the following emtpy NTFS folder. Browse to the location of C:\Other.
  7. Click Ok until you're back at Disk Management, and then close that window
  8. You're done!

You can also use Junction Points, but those are a little more complicated I think.