HELP! Mapped Drive Issues

Stik62

I have recently encountered a Network drive mapping problem. Here is the scenario; a workgroup of 7 XP pro work stations with simple file sharing enabled and 1 file server (win2k3 standard just a file server). Friday the mapped drives on the workstations stopped reconnecting on login. I disconnected the mapped drives and remapped them using a different account with the same problem (I have to right click to open and then login or open and login from windows explorer). Also when i double click the the mapped drive (which happens to be a system drive C:) the "Select which program to open with" window opens and when I right click the mapped drive in my computer Autoplay shows up is this normal. I did not set up the shares or mapped drives but I do know the drives connected automatically before friday.

Make sure that no one has placed an autorun.inf file in the root of that shared drive, which will change the behavior of the drive for clients in Windows Explorer. That'd be my first check - something on the server's drive changed if it is affecting all clients.

Thanks for the help. I did infact find a autorun file and folder on the root. Removed them and no more autoplay! I did figure out the mapping issue. First problem was the pwd for the the user account used to connect the mapped drives changed. Second, if you click "login using different user" you dont get the option to save password as you would if you just clicked finish and allow the logon prompt to come up. This check box must be marked for auto reconnect of mapped drives.

I hate Autorun's...

Normally I just go into the Local Group Policy and disables it permanently FOR ALL DRIVES.

Run GPEDIT.MSC.

Browse to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.

Set "Turn off Autoplay" to "Enabled > All Drives"