Windows Media Player for Windows 98se

:hello: I have an interesting question ... I used to juggle the version of WMP i would install on a particular Window 98se system based upon the hardware it was going on. I remember when WMP 7.1 came out, the old 486s would take forever to load media files and it was better to just leave 6.4 installed.

So I want to know, and I'm assuming others would as well, what are the pros and cons of installing each version? I would imagine the only pro of keeping 6.4 (with all updates applicable to it) would be doing it purely for speed. But with each version upgrade, just what exactly is the benefit?

The main thing I'd like to know is if there is any good reason to just stick with WMP 7.1 and not go any further. The other good one would be to know the same for "series" 9 ...

Is there a page with this info on it already prepared? I would definitely take the trouble to compile a table for easy reference for all so any info is appreciated ... :yes:

Edited by soporific

I guess the 6.4 version doesn't support skinning and stuff like that... It only has basic functions but with the latest codecs, it does it's job very well and as you said: it's fast. Oh, and it doesn't have big security holes.

The next versions have mainly cosmetic improvements.. For exemple 7.1 and 8 have skins support and show special effects while you listen to music.

Sometimes versions 9, or 10 can be "usefull" as they have "better" online capabilities and fully support DRM (:})

Check Wikipedia for some info on WMP.

My advise is to keep WMP 6.4 with codecs from WMP 9 (available at: Microsoft)