Why you need to install IE7 even if you use Firefox or Opera

TravisO

I had to uninstall IE7 because it made my system blue screen too often and I now need to reinstall Windows to clean it up. That's what you get when you install a browser that updates system components. I also don't like how IE7 needs to download "more" before installing. I'll wait for the full release.

First off... IE7 is the full release now... Were you getting blue screens with the betas perhaps? The finals have been stable as far as I can tell (due to the lack of "bad" news about IE7's stability on the web).

People who are complaining about the security of IE7 already... come on! Firefox 1.5 also had security errors soon after it's release. Chances are you're not going to find all the bugs in your testing. All software today is in a perpetual state of beta. :P

First off... IE7 is the full release now... Were you getting blue screens with the betas perhaps? The finals have been stable as far as I can tell (due to the lack of "bad" news about IE7's stability on the web).

A full release doesn't say, "Please wait while we download something we forgot." A full release can be installed on another planet that doesn't have Internet access. A full release of IE5-6 is 88MB, why is this one only 15 MB? What did they leave out to put a 15MB browser that sucks in a better light compared to a 6MB browser that doesn't suck?

The blue screen is with the release a couple of days ago. I knew better than to touch a beta browser I expect to never use anyways. I installed it to see if they straightened out that mess of a tab system, nope, it's as confusing for noobs as ever. I think the Yahoo toolbar tabs addon is better designed.

I'm definitely going to wait until the first set of updates come out.

A full release doesn't say, "Please wait while we download something we forgot." A full release can be installed on another planet that doesn't have Internet access. A full release of IE5-6 is 88MB, why is this one only 15 MB? What did they leave out to put a 15MB browser that sucks in a better light compared to a 6MB browser that doesn't suck?
Where did 6MB come in? Are you starting the IE/Firefox war again? Everyone's seen enough of it already.

When it comes to downloading part of the installation - why does it matter. It's an internet browser, so what's the big deal if you're connected to the internet when you install it?

The blue screen is with the release a couple of days ago. I knew better than to touch a beta browser I expect to never use anyways. I installed it to see if they straightened out that mess of a tab system, nope, it's as confusing for noobs as ever. I think the Yahoo toolbar tabs addon is better designed.

If you've been getting blue screens, then I'm guessing that there's something else going on with your system. I've installed IE7 on my laptop and desktop, and I've seen lots of people around my university use it. And I haven't seen anyone get a blue screen because of it. Googling "IE7 blue screen" doesn't bring up anything relevant...

The mess of a tab system? Microsoft took the tab-system from the Mozilla crew, so if you want to point the finger, point it at the Firefox developers. target="_blank" brings up a new window in Firefox and IE7 - thanks to Firefox, who set the precedent. Opera puts the new page in a new tab - the way tabbed browsing should be. I'm talking about Firefox without extensions here - noobs don't understand extensions.

The mess of a tab system? Microsoft took the tab-system from the Mozilla crew, so if you want to point the finger, point it at the Firefox developers. target="_blank" brings up a new window in Firefox and IE7 - thanks to Firefox, who set the precedent. Opera puts the new page in a new tab - the way tabbed browsing should be. I'm talking about Firefox without extensions here - noobs don't understand extensions.

You're blaming innocent folks for no reason here. MS didn't copy really firefox for tabs. Basically every browser out there has tabs, firefox wasn't anywhere near being the first (nor was opera). Why would it be FF's fault for Redmond's bad choices? As for the target="_blank" behavior, there is NO reason to blame FF for that either (the IE team makes the browser do what the hell they want it to - their own fault if they copy anyone's bad ideas, and no one else's), and if you don't like the default behavior, at least using FF you can fix it (or you can have the browser let you know before you click that it is one such link instead). Edit: seemingly, that behavior has been "fixed" in FF 2! You're putting an awful lot of unjustified blame on FF for absolutely no reason. The IE team is very capable of royally screwing things up by themselves, they've proven it time and time again ;)

And as for downloading part of the install, it does that even if you ise IEAK. There is no good reason not to include this by default, forcing us to slowly re-find/download/apply new stuff every single time on every PC (easily takes as long as the IE install itself). Internet connection or not, I think it's stupid. Had firefox packed 95% of their browser and force you to download the other 5% upon install, you'd have been blaming them again?

Edited by crahak

My only point about the way that IE handles new targets is the fact that they didn't want to change the existing "standard" and perhaps draw some of the Firefox market back to IE. The less "re-learning" users have to do the better.

Hi,

With regard to any version of Internet Explorer, I think (from what I've come across on the net and personal experience with 98SE) that the fact that IE is so heavily tied into all versions of Windows, in itself creates major vulnerabilities and "holes" that malacious programs can use and exploit.

I ran Win98SE for years with IE as a stand alone browser (thanks to IEIradicator - then 98lite) with fewer problems than the default Win98SE. No known viruses or attacks! Never updated Windows itself, except for internet connection bug fixes i.e. dun 1.4 and vctp .386. Proving that it's not essential to have any browser tied into a computer o/s.

Is whatever ease of use??? the average computer user gains from being able to browse the web or their harddrive from one application... worth the constant stream of critical updates and bug fixes?

With regard to other browsers in general, they have (for me) one major advantage over any version of IE... they're more pro-active and generally quicker at fixing and up-dating their browsers.

Waywyrd. :huh:

ie100e0.gif

IE v1.0... there's no cookies settings whatsoever. It seems the first set of cookies settings came with v3.0.

My feelings about IE7.0 are that it is a required install... I have it installed at work, to protect my bench machine that tends to see the nastiest spyware/malware/viruses... And of course the occasional coworker who likes to go to malicious websites with IE.... :}

IE7 seems pretty secure, in my tests. It's ok in my book... and my book is just one sentence repeating, for 300 pages. :P