Why you need to install IE7 even if you use Firefox or Opera

TravisO

IE7 is a massive security overall from IE6 and whether you like it or not, parts of the OS makes calls to these APIs and HTML rendering DLLs. If you view some types of help, run MS Office, MS Money or use most any HTML editor then you are indirectly using IE. So go ahead and install IE7, it's actually faster than IE6 and doesn't use more memory. As an added bonus, installing IE7 won't change your default browser settings, so it won't steal focus away from Firefox or Opera or whatever you use.

I'd say that IE7 is possibly the biggest security fix to Windows ever, but XP SP2 comes in a very close second. Only a fool would intentionally leave arguable insecure DLLs and APIs on their system, upgrade and forget about it.

PS: yes I think the new UI In IE7 is quirky, even iTune-ish like. I know MS spends millions on user testing and is always taking steps to make their apps easier (for new users, current users don't really matter in the long run) but I'm not sure I like the new look of IE.

PS: I have reposted this to my blog at

http://thespoke.net/blogs/travisowens/arch...x_or_Opera.aspx

IE7 is a massive security overall from IE6 and whether you like it or not, parts of the OS makes calls to these APIs and HTML rendering DLLs. If you view some types of help, run MS Office, MS Money or use most any HTML editor then you are indirectly using IE. So go ahead and install IE7, it's actually faster than IE6 and doesn't use more memory. As an added bonus, installing IE7 won't change your default browser settings, so it won't steal focus away from Firefox or Opera or whatever you use.

I'd say that IE7 is possibly the biggest security fix to Windows ever, but XP SP2 comes in a very close second. Only a fool would intentionally leave arguable insecure DLLs and APIs on their system, upgrade and forget about it.

PS: yes I think the new UI In IE7 is quirky, even iTune-ish like. I know MS spends millions on user testing and is always taking steps to make their apps easier (for new users, current users don't really matter in the long run) but I'm not sure I like the new look of IE.

PS: I have reposted this to my blog at

http://thespoke.net/blogs/travisowens/arch...x_or_Opera.aspx

Why don't you post this on digg too? Many people don't know that without IE installed they may be vulnerable

because of all the various applications that use IE libraries.

all the various applications that use IE libraries.

Yes, and IE7 does break some of them. Just noticed the IBM DB2 installer won't work anymore since I installed IE7.

And while I do think it sucks, it's still useful to test websites against this new browser (along with all the others).

And IE7 still downloaded tracking cookies which I thought it was s***.
Shows just how much users know about their browser. The option to enable/disable cookies has been present probably since the very first versions of IE. For sure I know the IE 5.5 I'm using has this option, and 7 likely has it too.

Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy

There's all your cookie settings. Block, allow, etc.

Sites in the Trusted Sites zone may still be able to use cookies (and should, if you use Trusted Sites for its intended use) depending on the security settings for that zone.

My IE 5.5 is configured to accept cookies in trusted sites zone, and block otherwise but still allow session cookies (that are deleted when the browser is closed).

How do you know that the cookies are still being downloaded and stored? Does the Cookies folder grow after you've deleted its contents and browsed a few sites?

Sorry, but I must say IE7 sucks.

God, I do love a compact and concise technical evaluation of a product. :thumbup

Well, that settles it. If thunderthud thinks it's crap.....then that's good enough for me. :yes:

NO I.E.7 here!

B)

(where's that Smilie for "I'm just foolin' around" ???)

The sites that I visited from IE6 had the same problems with IE7, though the problems were never present in Firefox.

Most like because these sites are detecting your browser version and output 1 CSS for Firefox, and another for IE. IE7 can render CSS2 fully, so it's not IE7 that is the problem, it's the websites in question.

Update: after reading some of the posts further down, it seems I was incorrect about full CSS2 support in IE7. I'll have to test it later on, but for now I'll have to assume the worst.

Edited by travisowens

IE7 can render CSS2 fully

Totally wrong. CSS support in IE7 is hardly better than IE6. CSS is the weakest point in IE (well, that and security). Firefox (and Opera, and ...) has WAY better CSS support. Just see for yourself... IE7 has tabs and is somewhat more secure [supposedly], that's about it. Standard support? The IE team doesn't care. In another 50 years maybe IE will support proper xhtml mime type too... I don't see why you would blame the website and accuse them of doing browser sniffing when CSS support in IE is known to suck badly (again, check acid2 test results and such). Lots of websites don't work right in IE7 (e.g. slashdot.org)

I think too many folks are quick to bash IE (any version) just because it has M$'s name on it. I've been testing IE7 since beta1 (which was pretty unstable and annoying), but the newest release ain't bad--I've encountered few compatibility issues with it and since I keep firefox loaded, I can always switch to another browser if something doesn't work.

travisowens was mearly pointing out good reasons to upgrade even if you use other browsers--he was hardly endorsing the use of IE7 as a web browser.

Personally, I like it--the tab settings are a great improvement over IE6, and I like it better than firefox just based on personal perference.

Different people have different web surfing habits and different needs from their browsers; what may be a major fault in one persons perception, may not even be an issue to another.

Let's all be glad we live in a world where we can choose our own browsers!