Must i reformat HDD ?

m16si

I got a MSI motherboard which is way better from which i have installed right now (epox 8k5a2)!

Must i reinstall windows when i change motherboard ?

Because i tried new motherboard but it stopped when windows should load and restarted whole computer (blue screen :( )...

I don't want to reinstall windows because i have some important things installed and i don't want to lose them :( .

Please help

Thnx

m16si

Edited by m16si

Hi m16si

First of all do a backup of your sys. If you are presently unable to boot your system, use something Like UBCD4Win to access and copy your data (www.ubcd4win.com)

Now to the problem in hand. You should be able to do a Windows installation repair to resolve the boot issue. Use your Windows XP CD, and boot on it. The first time it asks you to press "R" to repair do nothing and proceed as if you where making a fresh installation. Windows then examines the disk and discovers an already installed copy of itself. At this point you are again given the option to repair it, and this time select YES.

From here on it will look like a standard installation with all the setup screens questions etc, but when your system reboots for the first time after the installation, your old Windows should boot, and most of the problems should be fixed.

You may need to re-install drivers and Windows updates again, but your have preserved your programs and settings...

Happy installing :)

Kind Regards.

Martin Andersen

Edited by prey

When you change motherboards, you're changing the hardware configuration, which Windows saves each time it's installed. As Prey said, just do a repair install, possibly needing to install updates again. After that, you should be good to go. :hello:

It can be even easier than that.

If you are using the same processor and therefore the same HAL then the problem you have run up against is an unknown HDD controller. find the drivers for the HDD controller on the new motherboard and when booted on the old machine right click on the inf for the HDD controller and select install.

Shutdown the system and move it. This has worked for me on all but a handfull of machines I have attempted this with.

If you are using a different processor on the new motherboard then you also need to verify what HAL the old board had and what HAL the new board should have. Chances are it should not be a problem.