Installed IE7 Silently Successfully

Dvij

The pack supplied above does not work in an unattended installation scenario without validation. Are extra switches required?

No, just use a genuine XP and it works fine and silent.

Dont know about Nlite , i dont use that crap , no offence.

@urbanriot

Its made with winrar

Edited by muiz

No, just use a genuine XP and it works fine and silent.

Well, I do use genuine windows, and none of those installers posted here on forums won't install - just because i chose not to install the WGA spyware on my PCs (and I don't see why I would want it). And yes, it IS genuine. All you get is an error message in a log file.

The solution (like I've mentionned in another thread) for those who don't want that WGA junk on their PCs like me is to use IEAK to make their own installer. I've tried a few builds using IEAK on systems that don't have WGA installed (legit, just without that spyware), and they install just fine. Either there's no WGA check, or it skips it if it's not installed. No errors in logfiles or anything. No idea if it would work on a system with non-genuine OS and WGA installed (or not validating for some reason).

So in short, even with a genuine copy of windows, this won't work, unless you install that MS spyware too (thanks, but no thanks!)

Then why reply here? :}

This installer works fine , my XP is 100% genuine , and NO i dont have that WGA installed.

So if you do not know what your talking about, what are you doing here, no offence.

Edited by muiz

Then why reply here? :}

This installer works fine , my XP is 100% genuine , and NO i dont have that WGA installed.

So if you do not know what your talking about, what are you doing here, no offence.

Perhaps you're talking about the one you linked to (I haven't bothered looking, and it's not even for the OS I'm using). But if it's just the original installer using the same switches, then it WON'T isntall unless you also have WGA installed - all you'll get is a "IECUSTOM: Setup cannot continute because this system doesn't pass the Windows Genuine Advantage validation check. Please run the setup program again in attended mode." error in ie7.log - it will NOT install. Had you even tried, you'd know... (yes, that's on a real 100% legit install, just without the WGA spyware installed). Besides, your installer couldn't tell if it's a legit install without WGA, yet you say it needs to be legit (it couldn't tell without it). Using IEAK it installs perfectly fine, there's no WGA checks at all. But, a IEAK-made installer will work exactly 100.00% of the time, wheter if WGA is installed or not, wheter if you're connected to the internet or not, or if WGA says it's valid or if it mistakenly thinks it's not... The ONLY installer I'd ever use is a IEAK-made one.

You might wanna know what you're talking about before you call others clueless. Pot, meet kettle...

RogueSpear: yes, VERY much so.

Edited by crahak

muiz, sometimes you can be a real a$$hole, no offense.

I wouldn't say that .. but it seems that he wants to contribute without contributing .. if you know what I mean

"Here, take it and leave me alone" - attitude :)

Edited by utw-Mephisto

I hate to say this, but I've been making installers with IEAK and the resulting installation source will still require a WGA check of some kind. I've tried this many times now in many different ways. At work I have a few dozen laptop computers that get mounted into vehicles. I generally don't have these laptops connected to any network when I set them up. Just pop in a DVD and let them go.

This is fairly easy to emulate in VMware by just disabling the VMware NIC. If you look in %SystemRoot% for the IE7 log file after the install fails, it clearly states that installation was cancelled because a WGA check could not be completed. So I imagine at this point I have to make a choice - either plug in the laptops while they install or come up with some kind of "unofficial" method of installation.

There is one scenario that I'm curious about as I have not tried it yet and that would be OEM SLP systems. With that method of install and WGA integrated into your source, network connection or no network connection, your system will report as genuine according to MGADiag.exe. With a VLK install this is not the case.

I hate to say this, but I've been making installers with IEAK and the resulting installation source will still require a WGA check of some kind. [snip]

This is fairly easy to emulate in VMware by just disabling the VMware NIC. If you look in %SystemRoot% for the IE7 log file after the install fails, it clearly states that installation was cancelled because a WGA check could not be completed.

That's odd, because that's exactly how I checked (not installing WGA, and disabling NIC), and it's worked perfectly every single time (had no problems on physical machines either). No WGA fails at all (but I got that error with EVERY single other installer though). I'm using Win2003 R2 Standard VLK though (WGA spyware NOT installed), so XP might behave differently.

Might have to look into that one a bit further...

Edit:

Just had a quick peek, the extracted packages won't integrate merely because the _SFX_CAB_EXE_PATH and _SFX_CAB_EXE_PACKAGE environment variables aren't set (that might be "fixable"). That would solve the problem in an elegant way (already integrated, versus installer that only works half the time). They have to be set to the right thing, otherwise update.exe complains it can't find the destination directory (wrong error message). Setting them to what seems like the right values (_SFX_CAB_EXE_PATH to the directory where the SFX update is located, and _SFX_CAB_EXE_PACKAGE to the SFX update filename) leads to another error message (An error occured while attempting to integrate this software update package. Verify that the architecture, language, and service pack levels of this software update are valid for the target distribution folder), as seemingly it can't get information about my (very standard) build for no reason ("GetBuildInformation: Error 0x3 while trying to retrieve target OS version information from j:\build\i386\." and "GetTargetOSInformation: Error retrieving build information: GLE = 0x3"). BTW, there is also a _SFX_CAB_EXE_PARAMETERS env var which can be set. Also, update packages are digitally signed, and maybe it checks it (there is code there to do so at least) I also tried replacing package installer (update.exe) with other versions just for fun, and I've also tried the /s switch (same as /integrate really) - still no go.

Side note: All the update.exe always had the integrate switch, it's only iesetup.exe that doesn't have it (the main installer which gets launched by the SFX), so likely the integrate code for that is missing altogether (older installers seemingly don't have it either - at least not beta3, so not an option).

Worst case scenario we might be able to "manually" integrate it from the inf files. Having looked at the idndl.exe/nlsdl.exe/xmllitesetup.exe packages so far, there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary (but then gain, maybe the main one is special)

Edit2: Well. Too f'n bad. Screw IE7. It's a crappy browser anyways, and definitely not worth that much hassle. If someone manages to make a integrator of some kind, I might reconsider. Until then, I'll be IE7 free. Like I needed a reason not to use that POS...

Edited by crahak

It's entirely possible that 2003 would be different than XP. While this isn't OS related exactly, I notice that Microsoft makes you validate in order to download Windows Desktop Search 3 for XP but not for 2003. I'm not doubting your success, but believe me when I tell you that I tried every conceivable thing with IEAK as far as options. It would appear that when IEAK performs it's sync to download the install files, it is downloading files which are identical in every way - including MD5 sums - to the install source you would normally get for XP.

Hi I had installed IE7 silently with my unattended xp sp 2 cd. It worked fine. For this you need to have a genuine copy of windows xp (which will pass the WGA validation process). Download the IE7. Rename it to IE7F. Copy it to svcpack folder in your i386 folder. Add ie7f.exe /quiet /passive /nobackup /norestart to svcpack.inf file in i386 folder (along with other updates, hotfixes, programs - if u wish).
Do you know if it needs to be activated before it can pass WGA?

maybe there is a fix in this "genuine" routines coming out when M$ releases the IE7 as an update via automatic updates. i read few days ago that this will be sometime during october 30th.

i dont use it and i dont like it at all, it lacks many things that is worthless talking about them. but hey, many of us are addicts to have all stuff current. and customers like IE so why dont pleased them with the new version...

hope the auto update installs fine via svcpack.inf or with the integrate switch.