help with installing two operating sytems on my laptop

rluka

First off

I must ask: Is this legal? I would like to install 2 operating systems on my laptop computer using the OEM version of WinXP MCE. I created another partition but when I use the install disc that came with my computer it will only install it in the default partition C. Am I able to modify the disc so that I will be able to install it onto the other partition. Im running WinXP Pro on my desktop (not OEM) and it will allow me to install as many as I like. If this isnt illegal then is it possible to do?

Thanks..Ron L

Sorry, I should have mentioned that Im a newbie here. It would really help if you could be a bit more specific with regards to what Im looking for. I noticed a lot of incredible information that is on the WinXp unnattended install forum, Im just not sure what applies to me.

Thanks for trying anyway

Take care..Ron L

Just search for OEM...

Did the search that you suggested and I didn't find anything. If you dont mind me asking: Why dont you just give me the proper link :yes:

Anyway, I already do have two operating systems installed on my laptop. What I did was this: I made a drive image (ISO) of my C drive. Then I copied it into my E partition (D is the repair partition that came with the computer). Then I used Partition Magic to change the drive letter E to C. So, I have two C partitions and it works. Instead of this I would like to be able to install the operating system on my E drive and not have to change the drive letter. Thats why I posted this question here.

Later..Ron L

First, it is most likely NOT legal to install two copies of Windows on the same computer. Read the EULA and see.

Second, I know you're new, but the forum doesn't like cross-posting (here, Applications Install, Unattended Windows). It'd have been better to ask a mod to move the post. We do have Win MCE forum.

Third, you didn't actually say if the disk does an unattended install or not. In either case it shouldn't be hard to do what you're after.

In either case it shouldn't be hard to do what you're after.

Thanks for your reply and your point is understood. I have been just asking for assistance and I cant seem to find the answer here. Im not getting anything from you or the previous poster above you. Sorry, I was told that this was the place to be for this kind of advice and if you read all of the threads of my post it seems like i'm just getting a run around..What gives?(I could be wrong..I've been wrong before)

Anyway, as soon as I put the disc in it doesnt give me any options like a regular install of WInXP. IT just starts installing on its own so I guess it is an unattended install.

Ron L

Edited by rluka

First, it is most likely NOT legal to install two copies of Windows on the same computer. Read the EULA and see.
I wonder if M$ can actually find that out... I mean, it's absolutely the same hardware...

If it's UA install, have a look at the winnt.sif file, specifically if there're Autopartition and Repartition entries.

Since you already have PM, just hide the first C partition.

As to legality, I don't have Win MCE, so read the EULA. No, I don't think MS will find out easily, as it doesn't need activation after ghosting.

Takeshi

Thanks for that nfo...I'll give it a try. As far as I know its not illegal to have a dual boot system. I have WinXP Pro installed twice on my desktop PC and when I first did it a few years ago I had assistance from Microsoft. I have a non OEM version on my desktop PC. I think the reason why its an unattended install on my laptop is because most people dont know how to install windows on they're own so this makes it a lot easier.

Thanks again..Ron L