need to clean computer, QUICK

So christopher, you're following my PC Maintenance guide and running the applications from one of the Anti-Malware packages? If so, which package did you get and are you having any problems with anything?

THUS far, everything appears to be fine and a pretty simple process.

a little time consuming, but its what i expected since im using several programs to get something accomplished.

some of the programs i didnt get downloaded in the package i got, didnt get spyblaster, about b, win def, and ewido out of 10 or so programs on the list.

hope ill be fine just using the other ones.

but it was very helpful.

i'd like to thank every/anybody for their contribution.

i've been a member here for quite sometime and usually always get what i need solved relatively quickly. i appreciate it.

i still dont seem clean. (COMPUTER).

avast is picking up stuff from time to time, and it seems like when i open IE something happens.

i always get these popups too that tell me to "clean" my computer or something is wrong. i def. don't click on them because i think they're apart of the problem.

any final last steps?

i posted my hijack logfile somewhere

try running all of the scans from safe mode. In machines that have or are severly infected many times you will have better luck cleaning them when in safe mode where alot of the spy/malware does not load.

i did, that was a part of the process.

i guess i can use firefox, but i def. dont PREFER it over ie.

i cant transfer my bookmarks or set it as my default

i dont even know where the options are anymore!!

plus its so much harder to view myspace on firefox cause all the tables are out of wack and i have to scroll right all the time to view almost every horribly designed page.

and images all have to load/reload up on firefox it takes forever sometimes im so impatient :(

ie was a lot quicker/easier for me. apparently more costly too :(

I'd boot that system with a CD (Hiren's, MiniPE XT, Norton Antivirus even) and run the cleaning programs on it.

When you boot from an infected hard drive, all the nasty buggers are running and in control before you can take any action against them. :ph34r:

That's one reason they keep showing up, even AFTER you think they've been deleted.... :no:

I cleaned a system recently that had over a hundred viruses, trojans and other malware. It took several hours to get it all cleaned up. And even then, I'm certain it wasn't REALLY clean.

Your best bet now is to save all your data and stuff, then repartition and reformat that drive and reinstall your OS cleanly along with just the apps you'll use. And be sure to disconnect everything from the computer except mouse, keyboard and monitor (no web connection especially) before you re-do everything.

I empathize with you, but here are the facts:

1. Default installations of Windows are VERY vulnerable and will be compromised/infected within MINUTES of being connected to an unprotected network (like the Internet).

2. IE as a web browser is a frakkin' invitation to the nasties. USE FIREFOX and lock it down with available extensions like NOSCRIPT, ADBLOCK PLUS, and others. Get these extensions where you get Firefox.

3. Install a firewall like ZoneAlarm (free) and anti-virus like AVG (free) BEFORE YOU CONNECT THE COMPUTER TO ANY NETWORK - THIS INCLUDES THE INTERNET. The very first thing you'll do when you finally connect back to the web is download updates for your AVG. This combination will protect you from just about everything (except things you deliberately install - be certain of what you install!!!).

4. Use a tool like nLite or Ryan VM's fine Integrator to create a slimmed-down Windows install CD that will have fewer attack points coming out of the gate. nLite, in combination with the clean install outlined here, will harden your computer tremendously and make it almost impervious to nasty malware and the type of crap you're (unfortunately) dealing with now....

I've done hundreds of clean installs over the years (maybe over a thousand), and the more you protect your system before going online, the better it will be for you. ALSO limit the programs you install to ONLY WHAT YOU REALLY USE. Find a junker PC to test crap out on - you'll be able to sleep better at night. :yes:

My heart goes out to you. But we all learn best from situations like this. Hey - I had to learn stuff the hard way ---- MANY TIMES.

But after about thirty years I got religion about backups, clean installs, computer and network security and all the nastyware that floats around constantly on the web.

Best wishes from Atlanta, GA. USA. Get Well Soon!

:hello:

I checked over the files, all of them have SpywareBlaster in them.

Windows Defender was removed as it was still beta and not really necessary.

Go ahead and scan with Avast, let it do a boot time scan first, then a thorough scan in Windows.

def think there's some sort of IE prob cause i cant even browse IE w/o some dumb popup now.

when im on firefox everything is fine but when i go to IE i get problems.

i have IE 6.0 i think do i need 7.0?

can i even get 7.0 on XP SP1?

why am i still under attack?

this is so sad. i've never had problems til the past 2 days.

no idea what to do all i have is that sbc yahoo protection but i dont think its good

now im getting icons on my desktop and weird favorites and im on firefox now but not ie but in ie i get another toolbar that i cant remove either and my default page goes to some weird virus "clean up" page that i refuse to click links on

anything free and helpful i can do to clean my computer ASAP?

A web page hijack is typical malware. :rolleyes:

Never trust those sites, they get payoffs to be rated best.

Trying it on my server and... ...ugh, popup ads while updating? :thumbdown

Used Ghost to revert my drive since I had major work to do and just trash AntiVir. Oddly the license was only good from now till the end of February, whereas Avast would be good till the end of next year with a free renewal.

well here's an update

i finally surrendered to SP2 (xp) ..

i had it once, but the first time i had it it caused me to lag really bad.

this time around everything seems ok.

i got a lot more of the fixes/security updates

and now have IE 7.0 (which i really like)

so since those, i havent had any problems...

that i'm aware of. but i guess i should re-download hijack this and post another log to see if you guys notice anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Never trust those sites, they get payoffs to be rated best.

According to AV-Comparatives, AntiVir detects more viruses than Symantec. I've tried it, I don't like it's update feature, but the rest looks good.

ok after reading this thread, i'll give you my two cents:

get removeit pro from this majorgeeks.com link:

[ http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5205 ]

you don't really need the enterprise version but it's not expesive, I've been using the free version now for 6 months & this program has caught stuff avg did not, nor NOD, nor avast!. I keep avast running becasue it's the best of the freeware version i've tested so far. I run removeit pro daily for updates and scans. yeah the free version you have to do things manually, but hey it works

as far as browser speeds go - try opera [ opera.com ] it has the fastest rendering engine on the market today and it won't leave you wide open to attacks like microsoft web browsers do. I locked my IE's behind a pasword locker so it can't be used on my system. I've had no problems with viruses/malware running the app's I do.

my list of software: mdzipf.goolepages.com/techie

I'm always available to help any one who needs it. I'm a retired IT/COIS college instructor. I've been testing programs, and operating systems for years now. my knowledge is here to help you or anyone who needs it.

Peace

Edited by profmike