RE:Changing boot up info(Newbie)

rluka

Hi all :hello:

I would like to install 2 operating systems on my laptop using the WinXP MCE 2005 disc that came with it. I created the second partition but the problem that Im having is this: My windowsxp disc will only install onto the first partition ©. How can I go about changing it so that it runs like a regular WinXP install disc which will give me the option of choosing which partition it will install into? I also have a small repair partition (D) installed on my laptop. Can I also change that?

This will be my very first time using this great little program so I would really appreciatte your help.

Thanks..Ron L (rluka)

I think you are getting this wrong, nlite should be run with "standard" XP CD, it is possible that your particular CD is not a "standard" OEM one, but rather a "modified" OEM one.

Knowing make / model of your laptop might help, however you should look here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=75761

It is possible that your disc is not really an XP install disc, but rather a "Recovery CD", in that case you need to rebuild a CD, in this thread on the 911CD forum there are some related useful links:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16381

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Playing with partitions is always risky, so remotely advising someone to do it is tricky. What does it say when you try to install on the other partition ? Normally you should be able to do it unless it is not big enough. Also you want to "change" you D:, to what ?

What I usually do is set an other partition active and install XP after that. That way, it install on the new C, there is no mixing of the 2 systems and I install a boot manager myself or change the active partition and can reboot in the first system.