PC shutdown & Screen of Blue Death

nichos

Was multiplaying last night, with 5-10 others & chat & fsNav windows on the screen, while vigorously manouvring, from high & short to get on the approach, the PC shutdown with ScreenOfBlueDeath then proceeded to restart.

It happened last week as well when I rejoined & again with same result.

I suffered a few weeks ago catastrophic failure, see Quote below, and managed with XP repair to get all back, whilst others said the same thing caused them to reformat etc.

Maybe my recovery was not complete?

Any help to avoid reformating will be appreciated.

Quote:-

on Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:29pm, luke wrote:Downloaded & installed F-Secure, a new free internet security program pushed on to me by Barclays Bank.

Then it asked to restart, it booted up to windows then BSOD flashed by, then shut down and started all over again and so on & on.

Unable to get into Safe Mode. In XP pro sp2 the "F8" key gives menu to choose boot media, ie flopy cdrom etc.

Used "Bart PE" boot CD and deleted all entries about that F-Secure internet security, then used its SpyPot (very old version) and fixed problems found (no viruses reported) but rebooting problem still exists.

Any sugestions of what could be the problem?

MODIFY:

Run Repair xp and managed to get to Safe Mode. F-Secure was still there, deleted it again via Add Remove Progs, restarted and all now seem OK!, no reboots. Did AVGfree virus check with no results.

Would still like to know, if possible, what caused this catastrofic upset.

Home build

Asus A8N 32 sli deluxe

Chipset nF4 SLI x16

AMD 64 3.5+ Venice 2.2ghz

Corsair twinx 2x512mb

MSI 6600gt 128 PCI-E

Maxtor sata 160mb

PSU EZ cool 550w

XP sp2

X45

What did the BSOD say? That might help to figure out whats wrong.

If the computer automatically restarted after the BSOD, do this to make it stay on screen:

Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Goto Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery: settings -> UNcheck "automatically restart".

Thanx for the "auto restart", it said the usual that if it happens again see the admin chap.......

I am at a loss on what causes it, in normal use the PC is OK, maybe the fs9's load kicks it out. And fs9 was reinstalled after the total failure recovery.

Without the STOP code and other memory and module data that was on the BSOD, it'll be hard to determine what's going on. If you can disable the "Automatic Restart" in the Advanced Startup and Recovery section of the System applet in the control panel, you should be able to see that data the next time the issue occurs.