overclocking an old cirix processor or overclock an 866Mhz P3 or a 700

awergh

my mandrake box (cirix-300 233Mhz) is a my samba server

ubuntu 5.04 didnt work

my computer which is 98se\xppro\linux (suse or ubuntu)

has a 700Mhz Celeron Processor

but im going to probably get a Pentium III 866Mhz

so can i overclock a 866Mhz P3 to 1Ghz

why not just buy a 1.1GHz celeron off ebay?

it is a 370pin socket right? if so, just hop onto ebay and look for a faster 370pin processor...im no big fan of overclocking, too many risks.

i have a ton of processors out of computers at the dump..i pulled one out that i regret [466MHz] but all the others are 866+...i have them as a backup for my old tower in case it dies. in fact, it almost did a while ago. if you've got xppro on it, just opt for a faster processor, it'll last longer.

i dont really use xppro, its just there for something that doesnt run on 98se or for testing

ive already flashed the bios so that the maximun speed processor i can support is a 1Ghz procssor

im planing to get 3 PIII 866Mhz Processors

so i dont mind over clocking one to 1Ghz

• 1 month later...

Naaw, that's not a linux toaster... this is. :D

I saw that when it was new, had to google a bit to find the link. (yeah it isnt running nix in the pic but it sure could!)

Anyways, don't overclock a cyrix... better yet fry the thing by running 12v and gnd leads across it, then roundfile the thing and stick in a nice PIII cpu. I still use tons of PIII cpus around here, those things are very good performers.

Lesee... dual p3-600, P3M1Ghz laptop, P3-500 laptop, dual celeron 433, dual celeron 400, 3x P3 933 chips waiting to go in an STL2 and another mobo. Yeah, I guess I am a bit P3-mad.

Edited by jaqie

it is super socket 7.

socket 7 @ 100FSB and a few other (multi voltage) capabilities.

note in such old mobos, it is done with jumpers or dip switches manually and great care must be taken to set them correctly for the cpu intended.