Unattended problem with RIS

hdavid

Dear all,

I've set for my company a RIS server and I'm having some difficulties with the ristndrd.sif.¨

I've been looking for days but I couldn't find any solution to solve my problem.

The first problem I have is the autologon. As soon as winXP is trying to login the first time (just after install) login isn't working. I know it's because the system is trying to login with the local account on the domain instead of login local.

Below is my sif file

The second issue isn't really a issue but it's annoying. During the first start, WinXP is starting the activation with the activation sound (I'm using a OEM corporate licence) but doesn't prompt anything and then skip directly to the login. I guess I'm missing something in the sif file.

Any help are very welcome

[data]floppyless="1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

OriSrc="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

OriTyp="4"

LocalSourceOnCD=1

UnattendInstall=Yes

AutoPartition=0

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemPreinstall=Yes

NoWaitAfterTextMode=0

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

OemSkipEula=Yes

UnattendSwitch=yes

WaitForReboot="No"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

InstallFilesPath="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\NC4000"

LegacyNIC=1

KeyboardLayout="Swiss German"

[userData]

FullName="blabla"

OrgName="blabla"

ComputerName=%MACHINENAME%

Productid=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

[GuiUnattended]

OemSkipWelcome=1

OemSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=%TIMEZONE%

AdminPassword="mypassword"

AutoLogon="Yes"

AutoLogonCount=1

[Display]

ConfigureAtLogon = 0

BitsPerPel = 32

XResolution = 1024

YResolution = 768

AutoConfirm = 1

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=41

Dialing=Tone

LongDistanceAccess="0"

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000409

UserLocale=00000807

InputLocale=0807:00000807

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[NetServices]

MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[identification]

DomainAdmin="sa_ris"

DomainAdminPassword="mypassword"

JoinDomain="europe"

DoOldStyleDomainJoin="Yes"

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff=Yes

DefaultThemesOff=Yes

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\temp\setup.cmd

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition=Yes

UseWholeDisk=yes

[OSChooser]

Description="Mobile NC4000 Windows XP"

Help="This will install Windows Professional in a standard configuration."

LaunchFile="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType="Flat"

Thank you in advance for your great forum.

David

Edited by hdavid

Hi!

U can prolly fix the autologon features from within the .sif file but I use the registry to add the values to the installation:

Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

1. Value: (Alt)DefaultDomainName (REG_SZ) with the NetBIOS name of ur domain, e.g; mydomain

2. Value: (Alt)DefaultPassword (REG_SZ) - specify the password of the service account for example

3. Value: (Alt)DefaultUserName (REG_SZ) - specify the serviceaccount user name

4. Value: AutoAdminLogon - Yes/No

or even better:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...maticLogon.html

Hope it helps...

Hello Br4tt3

I'm pretty sure that what really causes the login problem, is that you have not specified whether or not to encrypt the pwd.

Its kinda silly, cause if you chose EncryptedPassword=Yes - it wont work

But still you need to tell it, that the password is not encrypted like this: EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

Try it out and let me know if it works

Kind Regards.

Martin Andersen

Example

[GuiUnattended]AdminPassword="password"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=105

The first problem I have is the autologon. As soon as winXP is trying to login the first time (just after install) login isn't working. I know it's because the system is trying to login with the local account on the domain instead of login local.

That's exactly what is supposed to happen: the AutoLogon setting configures the computer to log on with the local Administrator account. Could you explain in a bit more detail what is going wrong?

The second issue isn't really a issue but it's annoying. During the first start, WinXP is starting the activation with the activation sound (I'm using a OEM corporate licence) but doesn't prompt anything and then skip directly to the login. I guess I'm missing something in the sif file.
Add "AutoActivate=Yes" to the [unattended] section to see if that solves your activation issue.
I'm pretty sure that what really causes the login problem, is that you have not specified whether or not to encrypt the pwd.

But still you need to tell it, that the password is not encrypted like this: EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

Actually, EncryptedAdminPassword=No is the default value, so adding that shouldn't make a difference.

Edited by Ctrl-X

QUOTE(hdavid @ Oct 18 2006, 01:41 PM) *

That's exactly what is supposed to happen: the AutoLogon setting configures the computer to log on with the local Administrator account. Could you explain in a bit more detail what is going wrong?

When a computer is being installed using RIS, it will assume logon to the DOMAIN as default. instead of the local machine.
QUOTE(prey @ Oct 18 2006, 02:38 PM) *

Actually, EncryptedAdminPassword=No is the default value, so adding that shouldn't make a difference.

Yes this seems like the logical way of approaching it, but I have never the less seen this in real life, so I still think the the line should be included.

ok, i've justed finished to test with the "EncryptedAdminPassword=NO" but no success. :realmad:

WinXP still want to log on the domain by default.

I've no problem with login on the domain instead of local but how do I set the sif file correctly to have a autologon (on the domain).

I know that the winlogon info are defined in the registry but at the [GuiRunOnce] stage it's already to late because I would need to login at least 1 time to set th registry correctly.

is their a way to set registry "before" the [GuiRunOnce] stage ?

do anyone have any input to help me ?

Thanks in advance.

David

Hi David

Im sorry to hear that dint work out. It been long since I used RIS, so I'm not sure about this next suggestion...

Could you try and make the installed workstation join a Workgroup instead (not sure that RIS will allow this) and then make a script that will join the computer to the domain after a successful autologin.

If there is no domain to log in to, there is no question to where the login should apply...

I made such a script myself once using the free AutoIT language.

Of course you may want to increase the number of autologin's to fully automate this process

Otherwise I don't really know what to tell you.

Kind Regards.

Martin Andersen