[Solved] How to move Shared Documents?

dougiefresh

Problem solved: Post # 9

=================================================

Problem: I need to move "Shared Documents" from %AllUsersProfile% to the path "D:\Shared".

Attempt # 1: I've tried using TweakUI to change the location within the registry, but it never takes....

Attempt # 2: I've manually changed the locations in the registry, but those changes never take either....

Attempt # 3: Tried dragging and dropping to the new location and the computer tells me that the folder is a required system folder and cannot (refuses to) move it.

Attempt # 4: I've got a utility called "JUNCTION.EXE". I rename original folder at DOS prompt from "Documents" to "Documents2", then create a junction at the folder "Documents" pointing to "D:\Shared". Navigate to "My Computer" and "Shared Documents" has been changed to "Documents". If I create the junction with "Shared Documents" instead, it disappears in "My Computer" entirely.

I've tried this entire routine with and without Explorer running, as well as in Safe Mode. Only Attempt # 4 gives me the desired result with the exception of the naming quirk. Anyone have any ideas?

junction.exe

Edited by dougiefresh

• 3 months later...

In practice, you can not move the user profile directories off the user partition.

Even if you set the user profiles on a different drive at install, (by editing WINNT.SIF), the system will create a cache of these on the system drive (ie where windows is installed).

You could do tricks like you have done (eg junction or mklink). I have never tried this.

You can reduce the general stress on the window partition by moving the Local Settings, Temp etc to a different partition. This does wonders, actually. In this case, you just set that location to an alternate drive.

I suppose i never tried to move documents, but rather edited the default 'locations' dialog, and used it to redirect saves.

In practice, you can not move the user profile directories off the user partition.

You can't move the entire profile, but you can redirect some of the directories under the profile to a different location. There are registry settings for My Documents, My Videos, My Pictures, etc, etc.

What he needs to do instead of trying to move it is redirect it. That way when a user clicks on the "Shared Documents" item in Windows Exporer they will be shown the contents of his custom path instead of All Users\Documents.

I never said anything about moving the user profile directories off the user partition. Just the Shared Documents folder.....

You can't move the entire profile, but you can redirect some of the directories under the profile to a different location. There are registry settings for My Documents, My Videos, My Pictures, etc, etc.

Guys, I'm not interested in moving the profile, just the Shared Documents and everything under it. I know of several problems that could/would crop up during moving the common profile folder off the system partition.

What he needs to do instead of trying to move it is redirect it. That way when a user clicks on the "Shared Documents" item in Windows Exporer they will be shown the contents of his custom path instead of All Users\Documents.

Believe me, if I could get something working, I would use that method. Unfortunately, the only method I can think of involves writing an AutoIt script to junction the Shared Ducments folder to another folder on another partition DURING Windows Setup.... I haven't tried this, mind you, but I would think that it would work exactly like I want. Unfortunately, my work shifts are about 12 hours long these days (I just got off), so it may be this weekend before I try it. If you have a better idea, please feel free to offer it..... Thanks!

My reason for doing this is that I don't want to lose the contents of the Shared Documents folder during a PC Recovery operation. The PC/Rec op wipes everything from system part and restores the archived ver to system part. Obviously important data (or at least to me) resides there! How do I keep the data during the PC/Rec op without manually copying/moving the data before the Recovery?

Edited by dougiefresh

The information in this link helped greatly!!! The only thing was that the name of the shared document changed to whatever the destination folder. However, this is easily resolved by moving the contents of the destination folder to a folder named "Shared Documents" (and re-editing the registry to point to that folder). A very tidy solution.... Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Grrr! :angry:

OK I can't get this to work. I'm trying to do the same thing, and annoyingly, every time I change it in the registry as per the instructions above, it changes itself back to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My ______. Shared Docs itself stays, but the subfolders refuse to do so! Any idea what the problem might be? I created the folders + copied over the data, and \Documents\My Pictures doesn't appear elsewhere in the registry, same for music and video. Any idea what keeps setting it back and how to prevent that? Or other ways to change it?

EDIT: Never mind - I forgot the part about creating the new string values. :blushing:

Edited by Idontwantspam