XP Enhanced Setup Beta Test

Ok then...

Here is another example where this might be handy, if you are building CD's for your workspace/school etc - U might want to put ALL the tools on a CD but leave the ability to not install certain tools programs on systems that dont require it.

I like this tool,its quite neat, and small. Im not sure i will personally use it but its there if i ever do. :rolleyes::)

i am quite fluent in vb, i have not seen the code to it, but why not use a dynamic array in a seperate function and use the setup name as an enviroment argument and then just call the function, save on all that copy and pasting with no limitations, send me the code and i will look at it properly, and see if it can be optimised.

i personly wouldnt use an app to do all that to decide which apps as i have only 2 machines and would like the same apps on each, so no need for an app like that, but got me thinking though, how about an app to make writing winnt.sif a doddle, with all the extra's, mmmmmmmmmm good idea, i think will get straight on with that when i have got as few days off.....

ooopps didnt see your post bor3d...lol...

Edited by devil270975

This tool look like it could be very useful for allowing you to choose which programs to install. A couple of useful additions would be:-

1) a default set of applications, these would then automatically be set from an ini file.

2) a time out option, which would then install the default set of programs if for instance there was no user interaction after 5 minutes.

I am not quite sure why everyone is screeming for a winnt.sif tools. I am quite satisfied with XP SP1 Deployment Tools. Sure you need to add a few lines yourself, but that's fine with me!

A tool that intagrated both winnt.sif and batch files, would make for a simpler process and a quicker unattended cd creation.

|Drew|

I am not quite sure why everyone is screeming for a winnt.sif tools. I am quite satisfied with XP SP1 Deployment Tools. Sure you need to add a few lines yourself, but that's fine with me!

A tool that intagrated both winnt.sif and batch files, would make for a simpler process and a quicker unattended cd creation.

|Drew|

ok thats a good idea but its starting to take the fun out of it.

:)

neph, i might make an overall program that creates all possible files with ease, so creating an unattended xp cd will be as easy as checking email. right now im looking into methods of doing such, and any suggestions are welcome. this may include creating an image and burning it, but that might take a while :)

You could integrate the MS CDImage tool to create an ISO, although this will force all filenames and folders to uppercase. I've found that using a particular switch with cdimage will keep filename and folder casing intact, but this causes a usbhsci.dll or similar to be "not found" when installing Windows XP.

Well wouldn't it be suffice to create an ISO file? Most people might not want to burn the file directly or are somehow "offended" having to use a different burning tool than their beloved one.

Another thing about the burning stuff would be, that creating using a CD-Burner "plug-in" would cost more time than programming the tool itself.

By the way, I don't think, that it can be done at all. You would need to have the uninstall switches for every program that is currently on the market, not to mention the once using setup.iss files and those which we all weren't able to install fully unattended by now (i still haven't found a clear solution to trillian besides copy & paste).

I think a tool to create the winnt.sif, the needed batches, using a method like your setup.ini, and creating an ISO would be fully suffice to all of us out there. Anothing else would be too much.

As for your need to find a coder: I am still interested! :)

Maybe I should turn it into a driver only based selection. Then I can cut the code down, and maybe release a drivers.cab file that has all latest driver versions for most provided hardware via hardware sites or just microsoft update. Gimme your thaughts on this as well.

Well, well, well. It appears to be that creating an unattended installation will become pretty easy in the future.

B0r3d is currently programming a Winnt.sif tool

Budster is coding a batches tool

and webmedic is compiling a script to slipstream hotfixes

Anything I forgot? Well, in about one month the only thing you need is a serial. Tze there goes the fun in unattanded installations :)

Well, well, well. It appears to be that creating an unattended installation will become pretty easy in the future.

B0r3d is currently programming a Winnt.sif tool

Budster is coding a batches tool

and webmedic is compiling a script to slipstream hotfixes

Anything I forgot? Well, in about one month the only thing you need is a serial. Tze there goes the fun in unattanded installations :)

To be honest i would love it that way, easyer to explain to some people and makes it a lot easier for a lot of people i know who would love to do this but don't know how. And i am not going to do it for them (to busy doing my own).

Remyblade