XP Enhanced Setup Beta Test

Here is a beta test of my Windows XP Enhanced Setup.

Please post voiceback to anything that could be added later and any bugs. I know currently that if you just select the "Applications" checkbox and "Drivers" checkbox, it won't do anything. The Install.cmd and Drivers.cmd are created by the program. Other than that, look through the setup.ini and pay attention to the following:

- Need to have XPES.exe in $OEM$\$1\install\ folder

- Need to also have own hotfixes.cmd, main.cmd and end.cmd

- For any programs that require 2 or more commands (ie registrations and so on), Create a seperate .cmd file for it, and use 1="/min %systemdrive%\install\install_dir\install.cmd" in setup.ini (examples inside of setup.ini)

- Need following for winnt.sif:

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\main.cmd

%systemdrive%\install\XPES.exe

%systemdrive%\install\install.cmd

%systemdrive%\install\drivers.cmd

%systemdrive%\install\hotfixes.cmd

%systemdrive%\install\end.cmd

main.cmd has:

- any extra programs used for install

- copy over mscomctl.ocx to %systemroot%\system32\ for xpes.exe to work properly (see copy command under main.cmd)

end.cmd has:

- regtweaks.reg

- hacked .dll's

- shutdown command

Recommended testing on Virtual PC, and hopefully someone with help write a program to create the setup.ini file :)

Download:

http://rob.f7lans.com/XPES_Beta1.zip

hm interesting. How does it handle the second cd? On another note does it work. I notice that you replace the dll's and stuff but dont require the removal of the cd which will cause this to fail since the system will pull hte origianl dll's from the cd which will still be in the drive.

Other than that it looks good.

it's a programmable interface via the setup.ini that will allow you to select your applications, say if you want to use the cd on another machine, and dont want all the applications/drivers on that machine. this is for anyone that wants a different setup per machine but does not want to create a cd per machine.

this is part of the install, right after the first batch file, so you can select the desired programs. the program turns the unatttended install into a partial unattended install, but also allows the user a choice of what to install.

yes after looking over what I had seen I understood a little better. On a side note why is it limited to only 40 applications? Also is there a way to use it twice maybe ot get more than 40 apps?

I mean I know how I could use it twice now by simply putting it into another directory but I curious also to see what you have to say about it.

well, i limited to 40 applications and 20 drivers because im not that great with vb code, and just copied and pasted it over and over. if you want to, i could send you the code and you could optimize it, or i could just paste more lines in for up to 100 maybe, i dont know.

i repeat, im not a programmer :)

i worked on this for 2 days while searching for code that would fit. so im a newbie coder.

:/

Please post voiceback to anything that could be added later and any bugs.

hopefully we can work together to produce an overall gui for the after install that looks really nice and easy to use.

lol although I'm a programmer I program under linux and do php code. I'm kind of averse to vb and have never really looked at it much. Usually just long enough to barf and then get back to work.

So I'm afraid I would not be much help with vb and also have no way to compile the stuff. So is there a way to shut off the cd checkbox if a second cd is not defined in the ini file. That could make it a little more automatic.

Before I read this threat I was sure I wanted an completly unattended XP Setup (start installation -> go to bed -> wake up -> having a brand new windows xp). By now I am not quite sure if I really want to have a fully unattended DVD.

Let me sum your thoughts up Budster:

You insert the CD/DVD which holds all necessary files to install Windows and let's say the other MS stuff (such as DirectX and WMP) install Windows completely unattended and after the first boot your tool shows up and asks what to install next?!

Looks great for me. But only if you have to install at different maschines. I am not that much of a coder, but if you like we could develop that tool together (maybe two free-time-coders make a real one :)).

One thing I am missing is an "Advanced" Button with an option to enter a new User Company Name which will be used by all the Applications. But that's already a Details thing.

I think this would be suitable for the LAST thing after your unattended setup. For the things that you may not always want installing - for instance you might not want Nero 6.0 installed everytime when 6.1 was released.... or you might not want the catalyst's on the CD installed everytime because you might wish to use Omega or even more upto date versions.....

Im sure that u wont want to keep reburning your DVD after EVERY slight build change to your programs :) and updating them after they have been installed is not always the best way (especially with drivers).

Actually, that is exactly what I want. Everytime I rebuild, I just drop in the latest items (drivers etc....) then reburn. Course my friends won't be able to do that, but they can rip the stuff off the DVD and make their own if they want.