running synctoy as a service

newsposter

• 9 months later...

This is old but I found the answer so I decided to help!

I got the below from here http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2...ta-with-synctoy

Schedule SyncToy

No more Synchronize. Not going through that again. I returned to Echo and it’s been working great. The best part is that SyncToy runs automatically at a specific time (at night when I’m asleep) every night. Here are the steps for setting up a scheduled task:

* Click Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Scheduled Tasks.

* Click “Add Scheduled Task” and click “Next.”

* Browse for SyncToy (it should be in the list, if not - click “Browse”), select it, and click “Next.”

* Enter a name for the task (I called mine “SyncToy”), select how often you want to perform the task, click “Next.”

* Select the time and day to start the task and click “Next.”

* Enter your Windows login name and password of a user, so that the application can “get in.” Not a required step.

* Check the “Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish” box and click “Finish.”

* In the “Run” box, add ” -R” (sans quotes and with a space before the dash) to the end of the link AFTER the ” and click “OK.”

Whatever set up you have in SyncToy will run based on the time and dates you selected. You should be able to backup data between your PC and the network drive. Do what you can to backup your important data as anything can happen from a crashed computer to a miscommunication with tech support that unexpectedly leads to a hard drive reformatting.

This is the help file on how to schedule it...

Schedule SyncToy

While you do not have to schedule SyncToy to use it, some users may find it helpful to schedule recurrent SyncToy runs. Perhaps you have a folder pair that takes a long time to sync and you want to run SyncToy in the middle of the night, for example.

SyncToy does not provide a user interface to schedule folder pairs to run at designated times. However, there is a method to schedule tasks using the Microsoft© Windows© operating system.

To schedule a task using the operating system:

From the Start menu, select All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Scheduled Tasks.

Select Add scheduled task to start the Scheduled Task Wizard. You will see a list of possible programs to run.

SyncToy may appear as an option in the list. If SyncToy does not appear in the list, click Browse and go find it.

The wizard will next prompt you to enter how often you want to run the scheduled SyncToy (for example, daily, weekly, et cetera). Select a frequency.

The next page asks when to start the task. Select a start time.

The next page asks for the user name and password to run the program under. Enter your user name and password.

The final page contains an option to open the properties dialog when the wizard ends. Select this checkbox.

Modify the Run textbox to include the –R command line option. –R all by itself will run all folder pairs that are active for run all. If you want to run just a single folder pair, add –R“My Pair” to the end of the command line. Note: there is a space before the hyphen but not one after the R. If the folder pair name contains a space, surround it with quotation marks, as the example above shows. For another example, assume that SyncToy is in the folder named C:\My Folder and that you want to run a folder pair named "My folder pair." Enter the command line as follows, including the quotation marks: "C:\My Folder\SyncToy.exe" -R"My folder pair." Note that there are two sets of quotation marks in this case: one is around the path to the SyncToy program file and the other surrounds the folder pair name.

Copyright © 2005-2006 Microsoft Corporation