DirectX 10 for XP

Aegis

DX9.0L is a special version of DirectX 9 for Vista only that allows DX9 games to run with Vista's new driver model. It's not possible to run D3D10 on XP without running in pure software emulation.

Pure software emulation... bet that would run Battlefiel2142 really nice :-D

"...facts & frictions" ?... uh ?

maybe that "9L" is a vaporware in fact ?

i know what is a 4L, but Wikipédia says D&D is only at version 3.5.

who is trustable ?

/frictions

about facts, i highly doubt that "brand new specially optimized directX" can run dx9 games faster/better on the same hardware than a "normal" dx9 under XP...

some benchmarks (with *old* hardware) will be required to make this a decent argument (but it may require a move @ nvidia/ati for updated drivers supporting old board ? i don't know)

anyway, people (like me) needing a new machine for Vista may prefer to buy something like, um, an XBox, or a PS ? (at least, PS makes no noise) :D

+++

who is trustable ?

/frictions

about facts, i highly doubt that "brand new specially optimized directX" can run dx9 games faster/better on the same hardware than a "normal" dx9 under XP...

+++

9l is the directx9 release for vista (for better backwards compatability with Dx9 games) it isn't for XP at all

[quote name='The Inquirer'

So we are back at the beginning - you need to buy a new graphic card and a new OS to have the hardware DirectX 10 acceleration on an API that supports it.

So, in order to get DX10 one will need at least a new video card, possibly new mobo and that opens a whole new can of worms and upgrades. DX10 may be very important to hard-core gamers, but what about the casual gamer who wants to play a game only occassionaly? Considering the draconian licensing restrictions on top of that, someone please remind me why I'd want to "upgrade" from XP?

who is trustable ?

/frictions

+++

9l is the directx9 release for vista (for better backwards compatability with Dx9 games) it isn't for XP at all

Yes, i saw.

Please let me re-word my words (i'm unsure you understood) :

I highly doubt that dx9L (the "brand new specially optimized directX"), under Vista (two words i omitted because it seems obvious that a software designed to run only under Vista will be run only under Vista), can run dx9 games (here, dx9, without the "L", is to be taken in its general meaning of "Win32 games using DX9 API") faster/better on the same hardware than a "normal" dx9 under XP...

In short, take a computer, install XP+dx9, benchmark a dx9 game. (thus the hardware should fully support dx9 features, but no more).

Then install Vista+dx9L on the same computer, and bechmark the same game.

And i highly doubt that the second run will be faster/better than the first one.

You can label these doubts "better backwards compatability".

I'm waiting the final releases of all this stuff to see if "L" means "Lighthened" or "Lowered" or "Looser" or "nothing" (sh*t, no L here :P )

++

DirectX 10 should be made for Windows XP SP2 and above and Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above. Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are good opertaing systems, so they should make DX10 for them. People have a right to complain by being forced to upgrade so fast if thewy are already running a good OS that deserves to be supported for a while like WIndows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP1.

DirectX 10 should be made for Windows XP SP2 and above and Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above. Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are good opertaing systems, so they should make DX10 for them. People have a right to complain by being forced to upgrade so fast if thewy are already running a good OS that deserves to be supported for a while like WIndows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP1.

it isn't that they won't make DX10 compatible with XP and 2003, it is they can't, the amount of changes that they have made to the UI and graphic sub systems means that there is no way to port those features and advancements back tp XP and 2003, the Sub systems of boths OSs would not know how to handle those new features.

@delprat

i agree with you fully :)

until we see some actual bench marks and realife tests there is no way for sure to state that one will be faster then the other. hopefully we will be able to see those tests soon!

but remember the aero UI is also using the directx 9L api for itself.

meaning, any performance increase will probbally be taken back by the api, until they find a way to completly unload the UI during game, then have it right back for when you ALT-TAB.

I think, its still gonna see performance loss across the board until vista sp1.

But personnally, I only wanna see the areo UI, vista ultimates super prefetch , and ready boost, ported to xp. :D

Edited by gdogg