Stop services permanantely

Thunderbolt 2864

You know what amazes me... people that spend hours fiddling with services. It's a complete waste of time, the only thing it does is reduce functionality.

When people mess around with services, I picture them buying car then opening up the hood and throwing away different parts.

The logic goes like this:

Hear, hear!

To note, the memory dump files uploaded to Microsoft's Watson servers via WER are gone through via an automated process to gather stack and symbol data, so unless there's a real need (read: big problem needing more research), no human sees the actual dump data. I will have to concede that it's technically accurate that data about you could possibly be buried in the actual memory register addresses of a process dump if that data was being actively worked at the time of the dump, but that does no good in determining the problem - thread and stack data, plus CPU registers, are the important parts of a dump.

It is important to remember and understand that Microsoft does provide mechanisms for you to continue to use WER without sending data from specific applications (or to use WER locally, and send nothing to Microsoft), and since WER is the wave of the future for error reporting (WER is deeply ingrained into Vista/Longhorn), turning it off is an option for those paranoid about personal data being on Microsoft servers. Just be aware that the WER is configurable, either to not send for specific applications or to not send at all (but still collect data locally - and optionally forward it to your own Watson server(s)).

Here what amazes me people who seemed to be intelligent would make such unintelligent statement.

jcarle

When people mess around with services, I picture them buying car then opening up the hood and throwing away different parts.

Now since my brother a professional motobike racer he would never used a bike without

removing the extra weight. His bike is for only one purpose to race, people may build a

computer for one purpose also.

jcarle

If you want performance, stop trying these damned miracle tweaks and make some real changes.

Upgrade.

I am handicap live on a goverment pension and have 3 kids so where would someone

like me find the extra money to afford these upgrades.

I am handicap live on a goverment pension and have 3 kids so where would someone

Save every cent you get/earn? Live with what computer power you have and use programs like CCleaner and Diskeeper 2007 to keep it defragmented and clean? You'd be surprised how much junk sticks around on peoples' machines. I had a guy just the other day get excited because I cleaned up his start-up list and junk/temp/cache and his system shutdown faster and took much less time to load up.

Dell sells someone a 3 GHz desktop with 512 MBs of RAM, but due to all the absolute crap they pre-install on the systems, it lags worse than 3000ms ping online gaming! Solution? Reformat immediately after you have it up and running. :)

Edited by Jeremy

Here what amazes me people who seemed to be intelligent would make such unintelligent statement.

I don't find it unintelligent at all. I very much agree with everything he said.

Now since my brother a professional motobike racer he would never used a bike without

removing the extra weight. His bike is for only one purpose to race, people may build a

computer for one purpose also.

Some users might build a computer for one single purpose, kind of like your brother does, but those are exceptions.

I am retired and on disability insurance, and I'm single parent (2 daughters), so I'm not exactly rich either (just had to buy winter clothes, xmas is coming, etc) and I'm building a very nice Core 2 Duo rig... Not on credit either. Hardware's cheap nowadays.

About error reporting, like cluberti mentionned, it's an automated process (it looks for a Bucket ID in a database). And the data being sent is very minimal (not a full memory dump with all usermode memory of running apps and such - that'd be WAY too big, more akin to a minidump - not even a kernel mode dump). Countless errors are sent in everyday, it's not like some guy sits there, looking at them manually, trying to gather information about you or your habits. The main reason is to find culprits (usually bad drivers or faulty hardware) and help people resolve their problems.

Edited by crahak

My computer is faster then 90% of people's computers based simply on the fact that instead of tweaking in windows, I upgrade my hardware.
Now tweak Windows and you'll really find out what the hardware you paid for can do.
Dell sells someone a 3 GHz desktop with 512 MBs of RAM, but due to all the absolute crap they pre-install on the systems, it lags worse than 3000ms ping online gaming! Solution? Reformat immediately after you have it up and running.
I did that with a (Lenovo) laptop I bought recently. First thing to go into the CD-ROM drive? The XP CD :D

I did a test to see how long it'd take to boot up, the original preinstall took over a minute. After the clean install it's approximately 10 seconds, and as I mentioned earlier, BootVis managed to get it down to ~7.

That car analogy isn't exactly accurate; just as those who don't know much about cars would probably not be messing around with them, those who aren't very familiar with Windows will not be doing much tweaking. Disabling services etc. is for those that know what they're doing.

i disagree with the fact that disabling services has no performance increse.

Why not have a test take a PII 400Mhz with 64MB RAM

do a blank install of xp pro on it and try using it.

now disable the redundent services.

did you notice a difference?

some people need some of the services that are enabled but the average user doesnt need remote registry etc.

File Cache? You mean the stuff CCleaner cleans out?

Of course most people tweak things to those extents. I wouldn't ever leave the Services alone, I meant I wouldn't remove them with nLite, but I would still disable and set to manual most of them. Pagefile, I just set the initial and max value the same. I have 2GBs of RAM so I usually set my page file to 1GB or so.

Edited by Jeremy

I watch this topic since the beginning and it was quite interesting, although it looks, that it is turning into a flame war. I have 1,5 GHz and 1 GB RAM. I know for sure, that my PC is faster after tweaking. Clean instalation of Windows XP loaded more than a minute, after tweaking it took about 20 seconds less and my nLited setup (with many services removed) takes 30 seconds and since pressing the boot switch until loading WinXP it takes about 35-40 seconds. It is also noticable, that PC and other aplication runs more smoothly, eg OpenOffice opens in 5 seconds instead of 10 and so on. My Windows folder has 400 MB and I have 5 services running, I start DCOM service only when some MSI installer needs it and I have no problem whatsoever, IE7 or WMP11 work fine without "so needed" WMI service. In fact my PC is much more safer, so I do not need any windows updates after SP2. Just my 2 cents to this matter. angel.gif

Edited by TheTOM_SK

Then why are you running Windows XP?

Why not have a test take a PII 400Mhz with 64MB RAM

do a blank install of xp pro on it and try using it.

now disable the redundent services.

did you notice a difference?

Did you look at the design specs for Windows XP?

You know, again, I re-iterate what I said before. More performance comes from upgrading, not disabling services.

You don't run Windows XP on a 256MB of Ram, you shouldn't even on 512MB. XP is greedy when it comes to system resources, and that's by design, hence why I recommend to all my clients 512MB as a minimum but 1GB as standard. Also, often neglegted is the hard drive speed. A lot of delays comes from waiting for the hard drive to find and/or load data.

If the load that Windows XP puts on your hardware with a default installation is a concern, then you shouldn't be using XP, you should be using Windows 98 SE.

And tweaking, in general, is a very vast word. I specifically referred to act of disabling services. There are some forms of "tweaking" that are just maintenance. Constant defragmentation and eliminating most unneeded startup programs (3rd party) is usually sufficient "tweaking" to speed up any computer. But I don't consider disabling Windows XP's default services as tweaking, I concider that crippling more then anything else.

It is also noticable, that PC and other aplication runs more smoothly, eg OpenOffice opens in 5 seconds instead of 10 and so on.

Just out of curiosity... how do you attribute your "lightened" XP install to a fully third party program loading faster? OpenOffice has absolutely no dependencies on XP, and AFAIK it can be run fully standalone. I'm missing the link between two independent systems here... (Windows & OO).

You also forgot to mention that with just those 5 services running, you've limited yourself greatly in the programs that you choose to use. I give a personal example with Apple's iTunes and my iPod video. I wanted to update the firmware in my iPod for a number of reasons (gapless playback, better UI, etc), and the only way to do that was by using iTunes7. The Apple Firmware Updater doesn't exist for the firmware revision 1.2. Don't get me wrong - I hate iTunes with a passion, but it's the only way to do it.

So I go ahead and install it, and plug in my iPod. Nothing. It doesn't show up in iTunes at all. After several hours of troubleshooting, I find a solution on the net which requires starting several services:

Network DDE DSDM

Network DDE

ClipBook

Routing and Remote Access

Terminal Services

Server

Now - I ask those who say that disabling services is a good thing - most of the services in the list are the ones that are either removed or disabled, right? What would andromeda's clients do if all of a sudden, iTunes wasn't working like it should? And then he comes back and tells them - "Oh... I had to undo something I did a while back. Sorry." Personally, I wouldn't rely on that tech support again.

It's one of the reasons I don't use nLite anymore. I spent more time configuring my computer to make all the programs I needed work than I did using the programs themselves. Sure, it makes windows load this extra 5 seconds faster, but then you spend another 30 minutes reformatting, and then another 2-4 hours installing everything else again... so where's the time saved?

Zxian: very good points. Totally agree.

jcarle: yes. I don't know what's the point of arguing how Windows run on hardware that's like over 6 years old. I had a faster PC than that before XP even came out (and I had that much RAM on a pentium 1). I just given away my last CPU that was under 3GHz this week (an Athlon XP 2400+ that was in the kids' PC, along with motherboard and RAM). My new slowest PC is a P4 3.06GHz with 1.5GB RAM. With the prices of hardware today, I can't see a reason to use a P2 400 with hardly any memory at all - very much making jcarle's point: if you're running on that kind of hardware, it's not some tweaking you need, but a computer out of this century!