Frozen C: drive, common files help.

breadandbubbles

Some months ago, i posted here about a small issue i was having with Utorrent. On my Windows XP Pro. PC, i have two partitions. The C: drive is about 10gb, and the remaining 200 and something GB makes up the D: drive. basically, i bought Deep Freeze, and i keep my C: partition, where windows is installed, completely frozen, while leaving the D: drive thawed. while its not for everybody, it works great for me. the best protection ever, as far as im concerned.

the only catch is that some programs, like utorrent, dont work well with this. you have to make sure that there are no files in relationsion to any program you need to make changes to ont eh frozen drive.

a long time ago i posted about this and i received excellent replies directing me to move the files from the "Common Files" folder on my C: drive to my thawed D: drive. which worked great!

however, this was with uTorrent v1.4. I recently upgraded my uTorrent to v1.6. and suddenly, it doesnt work anymore. i went to the common files folder, and nothing wabout uTorrent was there. i did searches on my C: drive for "uTorrent", and still nothing. anybody have any ideas? everytime i add a torrent to uTorrent, it disappears by the time i reboot my pc.

everytime i add a torrent to uTorrent, it disappears by the time i reboot my pc.

Have you changed the directory paths set in uTorrent to save all new, current and completed torrents on the thawed drive?

Why did you upgrade to v1.6 if everything was fine with 1.4?

Unnecessary upgrades. One of the common sources of problems.

Bug fixes, improvements, potential security vulnerabilities being fixed, new features, etc. Whose to really determine whether an upgrade is necessary or not? I suppose you're still running Windows 98? Looks like it from your signature. Off-topic, though.

But did you really notice any of those bugs that were supposedly fixed? Or have you any need for those new features at all?

However you did, quite apparently, notice what broke as a result of the upgrade. :lol:

Yes, I still use Win98SE. I alternate between that and XP.

Edited by LLXX

However you did, quite apparently, notice what broke as a result of the upgrade. :lol:

Well, uTorrent doesn't exactly save the info to an external file like .INI, and since it's only one EXE file, he probably deleted the older one, threw in the knew one and forgot to reset the directory paths. Simple to fix.

thanks guys!

yea, id set the torrent directories. i think the application data may be what im looking for. im busy reformatting, right now.

actually, off topic, but i used a usb stick to restore my drivers upon fresh install of windows, and i got a warning bubble saying that the usb slot i was using was using too much power. i pulled it out, and when i reinsterted the stick........nothing happened. the stick didnt work. nothing is recognized. did the usb slot i was using burn out> or did windows shut it down? whats up?

Application Data

I have my directories set to another drive and looked in that folder because I am well-aware that programs store configuration info in there, but it was empty.

did the usb slot i was using burn out> or did windows shut it down? whats up?

Try rebooting and insert it again, I've had that happen a couple of times, granted it was a different message, but I've had Windows not recognising it before.

I don't know if it's the same, but I've gotten "power surge" errors the same way, with certain devices. There should be an option given to you to reset it (again, if it's the same).

Also, there are multiple Application Data folders. Make sure they aren't hidden.

• 3 weeks later...

not sure I exactly understand your question but here goes:

Show Hidden Program or System Files

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Application Data is found in

\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data

you can jump directly to the appdata folder for the current user by opening the run window (winkey+r) and entering %appdata% then enter.

Likewise you can try searching (winkey+f) for µTorrent appdata files such as "settings.dat".

I reccomend making µTorrent "portable" or "self-contained" consult the FAQ

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_...ovable_drive.3F

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_...ser_profiles.3F

• 2 weeks later...