Pentium 4 CPU Temp too high?

Aaron

I've got a P4 3.0GHz CPU, and have monitored its temperatures over the last few days. It averages at around 65ºC (148ºF), and can go up to 73ºC. Is this too high for a P4 to run at?

By the way, some of that thermal stuff came with the P4, was I supposed to put this on? I wasn't sure cos the HSF mounted and locked in perfectly.

By the way, some of that thermal stuff came with the P4, was I supposed to put this on? I wasn't sure cos the HSF mounted and locked in perfectly.

What thermal stuff?

If the thermal stuff came with the chip yes you should have applied this before inserting the new chip to the motherboard :)

Yes that temp is way TO HIGH!

1. You should have gotten a custom heatsink for it and never use the generic one they send with the cpu

2. Use artic silver or a high performance thermo compound. It should have been placed on the top of the CPU about as thick as a piece of paper.

3. Grab some lent free paper towels and use some kind of citrus cleaner on the bottom of the heat sink. Rub it hard. It's called lapping.

My p4 2.4 overclocked to 2.8 has NEVER GONE over 41C. And that is with a mega full load.

Read my tutorial on the front of MSFN. The one I did about upgrading your heatsink. That will give you an idea of what needs to be done.

**edit**

Here it is:

http://www.MSFN.org/articles.php?action=show&id=26

Dunno, it hasn't got a name on it. But then I don't need it on do I as the heatsink fits on perfectly without moving about.

Edit: How does thermal compound make all the difference? Its only some sort of glue isn't it? Anyway, I've ordered some artic silver, need to find out a good quiet HSF though.

thats the stuff that conducts the heat effeciently between cpu and heatsink, its definately why your having heat issues. the heat from cpu isnt currently conducted effeciently to the heatsink where it can be spread and dissipated.

its not just a glue.

thats the stuff that conducts the heat effeciently between cpu and heatsink, its definately why your having heat issues. the heat from cpu isnt currently conducted effeciently to the heatsink where it can be spread and dissipated.

its not just a glue.

exactly!

Check out the Zalman series!

Very good product line. I got a 5700-cu, and im very happy with it!

Very quite and keeps my spu between 35-45C

The Newer 700 series look very promising aswell. I have sold a decent amont at work and they are decently quite.

As for the thermal paste use Artic silver 3, its the best! IT droped my temp 3 degres.

Good luck and follow the guide xperties posted, its a good one.

|Drew|

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

I've ordered a Vantec Aeroflow HSF, Artic Silver 3 compound and a heatsink lapping kit.

For now, I've underclocked my 3.0GHz to 2.0Ghz and the temp is steady at 39C until the parts arrive.

Thanks for the help everyone! :rolleyes:

I've ordered a Vantec Aeroflow HSF, Artic Silver 3 compound and a heatsink lapping kit.

For now, I've underclocked my 3.0GHz to 2.0Ghz and the temp is steady at 39C until the parts arrive.

Speaking of Underclocking how do you over clock??

:)

Speaking of Underclocking how do you over clock??

You rasise the Front side bus (FSB). This can in 99% of all cases be done in BIOS. When overclocking you should keep in mind:

- If you are not able to lock the PCI/AGP bus it will be rasied with the FSB

- The RAM frequency will we raised with the FSB if you can't lock it

- Raising the FSB will potentially make the CPU unstable, rasing the voltage on the CPU will stabalize it

- Raising the voltage will generate more heat, thus extra cooling might be needed. Overheating the CPU might destroy the CPU.

:)