Some of my tweaks don't apply during installation

Hello,

I'm applying my reg tweaks during the T-12 using cmdlines.txt. I'm using the following command:

"REGEDIT /S Tweaks.reg"

Most of the tweaks are working, but some of the key values won't "stick".

For example, I have the following entries in Tweaks.reg:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WebView\BarricadedFolders]
"shell:System"=dword:00000000
"shell:SystemDriveRootFolder"=dword:00000000
"shell:ControlPanelFolder"=dword:00000000
"shell:Windows"=dword:00000000
"shell:ProgramFiles"=dword:00000000

The ControlPanelFolder isn't added, but the rest of the values are.

The value is 00000001 after installation is completed. How come?

The same goes for the following tweaks:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ScreenSaveActive"="0"
"SCRNSAVE.EXE"=-
"NoAutoReturnToWelcome"="1"

I'm still having a screensaver showing up after 10 minutes.

Am I doing something wrong?

Allright. But the guide at http://unattended.msfn.org reads the following:

Actually, the HKCU tweaks imported at T-12 modify the Default User account settings, because the Default User's hive is loaded into HKEY_CURRENT_USER at that moment. When a user logs on to a machine for the first time, the user settings are taken from the Default User account. Hence, the HKCU tweaks imported at T-12 apply to all accounts ever created. That is why I have two separate REG files (HKCU and HKLM). I import HKCU tweaks from cmdlines.txt, and no matter how many user accounts I create, they all have the same initial user settings.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/17/

Accually, I have like 50 HKCU tweaks, and there's only 5 of them that don't work. The rest work like a charm. That's kinda odd...

Edited by troxy

As I said here sometimes HKCU tweaks don't stick when applied at T-12, presumably what happens afterwards (other components, progs) overrides your settings.

I find some Explorer tweaks in particular don't stick. As a workaround, you could re-apply them at first logon using for example user RunOnce.

Edited by Takeshi

For the screen savers , I remove them with nLite. Windows SSs are very primitive and not that enjoyable.

I install some commercial and some free SSs, instead.

Examples are: Snoqualmie, Mechanical Clock 3D, and WorldClock.

I haven't got your issue anymore.

However, if the "BarricadedFolders" tweak isn't applied well at T-12, just follow Takeshi's advice. I do it that way.

I tried adding the reg keys using RunOnceEx. But the shell:ControlPanelFolder and some other stull still won't apply.

But if I run the reg file by double clicking it, right after first login, it applies.

What the heck. :}

But if I run the reg file by double clicking it, right after first login, it applies.

What the heck. :}

Yes! This is why I'm using HKCU-RunOnce, where the reg files are applied after a user logon.

I'd first check the ROE command is correct before assuming the tweak doesn't apply.

Actually all the startup reg keys execute AFTER user logon. Previously I incorrectly assumed that some were before. In my recent tests not using autologon, the logs definitely confirmed otherwise. But user RunOnce, as we now know, executes last so conceivably it might be better.