nLite for Vista - Taming the Beast

PoserOfAllTrades

nLite for Vista!  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a version of nLite that supports Windows Vista?

• Hell yes!!!
    • Nah, I'm sticking with XP anyways.
    • I don't really care...
  2. 2. Don't you just love nLite?

• YES!!!
    • It's nice, but still kind of hard to use...
    • Not really...

no, those that turn on a TV Player, game console and DVD player are smart because they know not to touch what they don't know.

that's why the dude that works uses a DVD player nothing wrong with that, that's the smart way. you don't get it, what I meen is that people who are using computer and don't know something about it want microsuck or others to make them know it without them needing to study it (which is obviously impossible), that what fireinthedawn means, that because of those people microsuck is making their "software" worse, without them software would only need to improve and not mess around too much with id***-proofness. and duude, anything like "me" being "smarter" is not mentioned anywhere, where did you get that from ? not to mention that "I" am entirely irrelevant to the subject...

Edited by monohouse

no, those that turn on a TV Player, game console and DVD player are smart because they know not to touch what they don't know.

that's why the dude that works uses a DVD player nothing wrong with that, that's the smart way. you don't get it, what I meen is that people who are using computer and don't know something about it want microsuck or others to make them know it without them needing to study it (which is obviously impossible), that what fireinthedawn means, that because of those people microsuck is making their "software" worse, without them software would only need to improve and not mess around too much with id***-proofness.

Only thing that they are guilty of is believing commercials and how easy it is, then if they are even a fraction interested it's hard to give up but they didn't invest enough time.

and duude, anything like "me" being "smarter" is not mentioned anywhere, where did you get that from ? not to mention that "I" am entirely irrelevant to the subject...

Not directly but the point is well taken.

no one here except you is making a point about me, this is not about me duude, what point taken ? I don't get it. believe me duude, if everyone was willing to study computers properly, we would not have idiots or lam0rs at all, and companies would try harder on making the software good instead of wasting lots of time making as much bloat as they can, and if you think that me smart or makes you think that I mean that I am smart - you are wrong, there are many things that I do not know, and I don't touch them, but what is different about me and the idiots and lam0rs is that I am willing to study what I don't know and if I am not willing then I just don't touch it, unlike the lam0rs and idiots who are dropping the blame on the people that made the software that they are wrong, while it is the user's fault no to wish to study first, and wanting to know everything without it.

Edited by monohouse

yhe I know about what to choose, but that is not what fireinthedawn is about, he's claims that people are not willing to study things, and I am trying to claim that he is right because in everything in life, you have to study it because you use it, and computers are not different, you can't expect people to use computers without studying them do you ? isn't that why there are computer studies ? or is that dude gonna claim that I am wrong about that ?

it would be actually better for the pople who don't know much about computers to use it without having learn much. of course they may need to learn "how to learn turn on the computers or what the hell is cap lock" if you want to come down to this extreme... but for example, a banker, you cant expect them like spending hrs to learn how to do a certain operation after hrs of work isnt it?? And as for the "Computer Studies", man, I think u gone way too far..... so, you are saying the one who havent done "Computer Studies" or "Computer Science" dun use computers??? I dun think all people can become a programmers isnt it? and those subject are mainly about hard-core things (programming, how networking works, etc) and heck, you cant all users can do thing like that isnt it??? lol

and you are really missing a point in the principle of programming........ Designing a better interface and so that people who don't know much can still use it without spending hrs to learn! And also Good usabilility means that safer if there are life critical operations that needs involving computers...

Edited by Tails

Have you tried this:

// Disable enforcement – no signing checks

Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks ON

// Enable enforcement – signing checks apply

Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks OFF

// Disabling integrity check on an alternate OS

// specified by a GUID for the system ID

Bcdedit.exe –set {4518fd64-05f1-11da-b13e-00306e386aee} nointegritychecks ON

Taken from MS

In another (more recent) MS doc (which I can't locate atm) they stated that that switch would no longer be valid sometime before the final release, and if I recall correctly, it stated something along the lines of "perhaps even as early as beta 1." Afaik, this was put into effect with the first RC2 release (5600?), and definately doesn't work on my system (5744), I've tried half a dozen different possibilities, and always have to reboot with F8.

edit: is it just me, or has this thread gone WAAAAY off-topic?

another edit: fireinthedawn, afaik, in all previous windows version, all the graphics on-screen have been handled by the CPU, so that when viewing the desktop, the graphics card did virtually nothing of the actual rendering work. By using the video card to do desktop rendering and in 3d-mode, Vista not only takes a load off the CPU, but provide more eye-candy and a generally better looking desktop. Don't like it? It can be disabled (google for it, can't remember exactly how atm), or else use some other OS.

and monohouse, if only certain, well educted geeks are the ones who should be using computers (as you've stated on the previous page), and you are indeed one of these geeks, why the hell do you need nuhi to create a supreme ultra-slim nlite for vista for you, ie why can't you do this stuff on your own? And furthermore, why are you using forums to promote your way of thinking? Web forums were created as an easy method for inexperienced computer users to communicate their issues, but mailinglists and usenet are where the true geek subculture live, so go join some and leave nuhi to his great work ;-)

one final edit: don't worry about me thinking that you're smart...between your posts and your website, you've got me convinced otherwise. FYI, the QWERTY keyboard originated on the typewriter, which was invented many many years before the home PC. And I've been using computers since I was ~8 (Apple II/e's in school, 8086 at home) and I still look at the keys a good portion of the time, and almost never think about the caps lock key (which was also present on most typewriters). Does that mean that I can't use linux? I hope not, I am right now...

Edited by amp_man

Forsome reason i feel compelled to add..

I'd love to disable that driver signing having to press f8 at startup! its danged annoying, considering ican't get a signed 64bitwireless driver, everything else is fine.

since theres some kind of vista = usless to people who haven't tried it argument going on, i'd like to say, i've been using vista as my main os since RC1, and since build 5728 i've actually taken xp off repartitioned and now only have vista, i find xp slow in comparsion to vista, i love the search features in vista, at first i thought, Holy c**** what have they done to the start menu now?! but once you try it, its amazing!

I also feel like adding, to me, computers are atool, they should be as easy as possible to use, whever i've written software in the past, i've always tried to make it easy for peopel to use, results, my friends who aren't really into computers, find it easy, my friends who are 'elite' at computers find it stupid because its not complicated enough and don't seem to like how they don't feel supieror anymore...at least thats the impression i get, theres a reason we progressed from dos! (either way neither appricate the time it takes to do things! and assume becaus it doesn't look complicated, means it is very simple :realmad: )

and back to topic, i think vista with nlite would be great! I don't belive there will be a performance difference, but It would be nice to claim some space back and not have so many processes running!

It's out, but for now alpha:

topic here

Hi there nuhi. Been using nLite ever since it appeared on german sites (i made the irfanview addon and

some other things for www.german-nlite.de some time ago but left that place recently for personal

reasons, but never mind that).

Some friend of mine who was also active in that board told me of your new vLite today (which I think

is the best name because it's short and therefore easy to remember) and i gave it a try. I was able to

cut down the Iso's size to aproximately 1.74 GB with RC 5744 which is nearly a third less in size, also

the overall processing didn't take much time either.

I haven't installed yet, but vLite itself worked fine and I remember some time in '04/'05 where nLite

didn't, so here goes my question:

1. I'm sure when the time is right, you'll add multilanguage support vor vLite

so I can choose vLite to have ger/eng lang.

When will that be and will I be able like with nLite to edit the lang file myself?

2.Unattended options please. Thats the main reason many people (me too) use nLite.

Do you know if there is some file like the winnt.sif that can be editet manually?

Another thing: I guess it's the first time we actually meet though I'm using nLite for at least two years (and

a little more) so let me tell you how much I admire your work. That is one nice piece of software, keep up

the good work: You're the man. (Lemme know if u need help with ger.lang file, maybe I can help out a little :D )

nuhi.. i tryied it 1 time which worked good until i tryed to install it

1. problem: it started from cd but then showed me a booterror!

2. after making the iso by myself it was working and installed fine until first reboot! there it canceled setup and sayed it was not able to install vista because one or more compients werent installed

3. now i`m not able to load any new sessions! it says everytime this error

http://dynaletik.de/Sereby/privat/vlite-error.png

it says this on a fresh installed xp too!

German:

Hast du geschaut ob das/der/die wimfltr installiert ist?

Im Installationsordner von vLite ist der ordner vlite\wimfilter\x86

Da drin Rechtsklick auf die wimfltr.inf und Installieren auswählen.

Ka ob das was hilft, aber versuchs mal.

English: Did you install that wimfltr properly?

There is a subfolder in the vLite directory called \wimfltr\x86

In there is a file called wimfltr.inf Right click and "install" maybe

helps, but I'm not quite sure. Give it a try :)

I'll try installing right now... hope that it works...

Edited by borizb

Deutsch:

ja habe ich 100x gemacht bis ich hier gelesen habe dass der filter in xp drin is also hab ich mal xp cd source angegeben und schwupp hat er ihn installiert! muss nurnoch neustarten

english:

*FUNZONE*

learn german o.o better for me to translate

*FONZONE-END*

i tryed that 100x until i read here that this filter is installed with xp so i selected the xp source cd and it installed the filter! now i just have to reboot

Okay, sounds good. I never experienced that myself but good to know if that'd happen :D

I've got another problem which might not be a problem at all, just something i happened to find out:

@nuhi:

When you start vLite and have selected the source for the vista files, vLite aks which version of Vista

you'd want to create. That's a little dangerous, because every key only works with the corresponding

version e.g. Ultimate Keys with Ultimate Ed and so on.

I have 5744 beta as resource and a key for that one. I tried and selected HomeProfessional or whatever

and when trying to install using the key from M$, setup tells me "Invalid Key" or something like that.

I know it's not a bug, but do you think there is a possibility to enter the key in vlite first and it tells the user

what edition it's made for so you can't accidentially select the wrong edition? Some kind of "key checker"?

Maybe you know someone how can create such a plugin. That'd be great, but not top-of-the-list-necessary.

by the way: that was the reason i did not install the vlite vista but a default one i'm now running with

so many problems that i really consider not to use vista at all until i get to have new hardware and

working vista drivers meaning i will hardly do any testing until then, sorry.