nLite for Vista - Taming the Beast

PoserOfAllTrades

nLite for Vista!  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a version of nLite that supports Windows Vista?

• Hell yes!!!
    • Nah, I'm sticking with XP anyways.
    • I don't really care...
  2. 2. Don't you just love nLite?

• YES!!!
    • It's nice, but still kind of hard to use...
    • Not really...

DX10 I don't know, but if I (and I did) managed to make DX9 as big as only one file (d3d9.dll) which is what ? 1,703,936 bytes long ? and some other additions like 253,440 bytes ddraw.dll 338,944 bytes dsound.dll and maybe only a few others with which dx9 games run without needing to install a full version of dx9 AT ALL, maybe there is hope for vista yet ?

yes duude I know about your problem, you want user friendly, that is a compromise which I don't have to be bound by that is what my deleted edition is for, those that don't compromise and delete everything possible.

but I am not here to discuss really everything possible, if you select ALL components for removal with nLite you still get around 80-100 MB ISO, which is excellent to at the same time maintain user friendly, what if you could do that for vista ? that is what I mean !

let's make a deal, you make < 100MB Vista ISO possible, I make < 100MB Vista C:\windows ?

and of corse < 50 MB Vista RAM at boot (with drivers).

Edited by monohouse

I get what you said and I think it's quite impossible if you want Vista for what it is. Well we can do a simple comparison in maximum removals, Win98 is like few MB, 2k is smaller than XP, it's natural to assume that Vista must be bigger than XP. Simply look at Explorer.exe, not to mention all the other files that you'll have to keep. Now if you think about res hacking...not worth the trouble, use XP or 2k.

if the deletion potential is not good enough, then why would you be willing to work on it ? if there isn't that much to gain from it's deletion then it's not worth investment, unless there is obvious evidence that it's deletion is actually worth investment, but you claim there isn't why develop it anyway ?

What is that faulty logic now about?

Lets see the facts:

- Vista is new, I like new

- Safer

- Nicer

- More user friendly and more productive

- Dx10

- Internal sound processing at 32bit

- More stable in case of crash

Don't confuse your size obsession with my goal to have less enforced processes running.

what really irks me is that when I read up on the operating system they made mention of things like how the OS itself is going to make use of the Video card GPU, etc. the Size in Term of bytes about the operating system isn't what bothers me, it's that it's going to be infested with crap that puts a strain on my memory and my video processing and CPU for more or less no benefit except fancy visuals and supposed user-friendliness. The industry has gone -way- too far trying to make things user friendly with big red flashing lights with huge sounds and the end result is that it's bloated with crap that does little more but slow you down. If you don't understand windows the way it was originally set up in Windows 95, You never will. Just give up.

Almost everything was built to be completely self explainatory and yet people still need guides because they're afraid they might break something or the like. But that's just part of using a PC. You'll never be good at it unless you break something and learn how to fix it.

I started to use pcs at the tender age of 8 years old. It was easy for me. I never reffered to a single guide in my entire experience. To say that I had an advantage because I was so young so getting used to the idea really irks me too. That's just an excuse for intellectual laziness.

those of us who understand what's going on have given everyone else a billion guides and security warnings etc told people what to watch out for, and yet the same stuff keeps happening. At what point do we stop being sympathetic?

Edited by fireinthedawn

"idiots are always the problem" but more than that, computers were originally used by the right people and were designed to be operated by those people, they were never intended to be used by those who were not supposed to know them, so like in any subject in life, first go to school then come to work. computers do a wide range of things, you can't simply have one big button on the screen and make it do what you whant, you need several, and when it's several it's no longer id***-proof, so for idiots there will be no computers, idiots do not belong there, computers were not originally made for idiots were they ? so microsuck and lately linux too are trying to turn computers the other way around towards idiots, but that is a problem because there are too many keys on the keyboard for idiots to be able to handle, so they created the mouse for them, soon the idiots will take over and remove the keyboard from computers.

and nuhi my size obsession=my processes obsession=my memory obsession if you bothered to look at my site's main page

- more stalbe in case of crash ? that's funny ? how does crash ralated to stable ?

- new is not good unless it is better than old, better means smaller and faster so it's not

- safer would mean less security holes which means less things on the system running so it's not

- nicer ? graphics has significantly improved but at what expense ? 350 MB memory use at boot without drivers

- more user friendly, and more productive, can't argue with that, although... is there anyone here that cannot accomplish the same tasks without it ?

- Dx10, which is what ? I have something better "- no OpenGL support" what do you think of that ?

- 32 bit audio processing, that's probably the most irrelevant of all, nobody uses DX/Wave for professional audio and all ASIO interfaces use 32-bit sample processing anyway

Edited by monohouse

monohouse, what idiots, I don't get it.

- drivers are processes, if they crash they are restarted, less prone to BSOD

- new is better in software since standards change and need an update

- it is safer, go to microsoft.com and read why

- it is nicer to me

- you can do same with 98 unless you want new stuff to do things faster

- dx10 is great, check the specs

- do you know of a video player with asio support?

ok.. I'm a bit tipsy, but wth.. Moonhouse.. stfu. Nuhi.. you da man!

seriously, Vista has been out for a day or two to TAP members and the like.. nLite for Vista cannot be anything more than Alpha right now, and if it is.. then Nuhi is a greater programmer than I think ;)

there is *no* way Vista will ever be 0.01GB.. XP (at a functional level) can be reduced to about 120 megs, and Vista has many more core files, larger core images, more librarys, the list is endless.

Just let the app develop at whatever pace Nuhi seems fit, because lord knows no-one else is gonna do it. And if you feel like nLite for Vista will never meet your requisite needs.. then so be it. There's a thousand other people using nLite that are looking forward with the utmost anticipation for a Vista version of nLite.

Nuhi.. all the Kudos, man :)

take all the personal hits, shove em in a box, and then pile all the thanks you get from people that actually give a s*** on top of the box :P

"idiots are always the problem" but more than that, computers were originally used by the right people and were designed to be operated by those people, they were never intended to be used by those who were not supposed to know them, so like in any subject in life, first go to school then come to work. computers do a wide range of things, you can't simply have one big button on the screen and make it do what you whant, you need several, and when it's several it's no longer id***-proof, so for idiots there will be no computers, idiots do not belong there, computers were not originally made for idiots were they ? so microsuck and lately linux too are trying to turn computers the other way around towards idiots, but that is a problem because there are too many keys on the keyboard for idiots to be able to handle, so they created the mouse for them, soon the idiots will take over and remove the keyboard from computers.

for me, you are the 1 who seems like an ******, if computer is not meant to be user-friendly, we will all be still in the "DOS" ages, and no more technological advances, banks, and all other will still be using hand writthen records. And also if Computer is NOT originally meant to be used by other people, why company bothered to sell computers?? people can just make on their own! Computers and Software ARE meant to be user-friendly. That why the university do have courses like Human Factors and usability, and they do involve how to make better software. Although, I would not use Vista, because it is too bloated, but I would not telling other NOT to make those kind of software, because is useless for you! People making software because they need one and the market don't have those kind of software. And Also, calling others who don't know much computers are ****** is not good either, I don't think you know how computers works straight from you born, you still have to go though n00b stages.

If you are that leet, why don't you just stick with DOS?? and why use XP, 2000 or something like that??? and heck also, Linux can be both user-friendly as you want and non user-friendly as you want. you don't have to install X-Window, GNome, KDE, etc. what you need is only install the command-line interface like slackware, and is that enough for you so-called ****** people???

Edited by Tails

really ? then tell me why some don't know what the caps lock key does ? is that part of computers to be designed for idiots ? if computers were designed for idiots why are there 114 keys on the keyboard which the idiots need so badly that they never even look at them and the only time they use it is when they need to type something, and even when they do, they have hard time finding the keys ?

yhe I know about what to choose, but that is not what fireinthedawn is about, he's claims that people are not willing to study things, and I am trying to claim that he is right because in everything in life, you have to study it because you use it, and computers are not different, you can't expect people to use computers without studying them do you ? isn't that why there are computer studies ? or is that dude gonna claim that I am wrong about that ?

Edited by monohouse

I'll answer with a question to avoid saying the obvious.

Will you tell me that people who like to turn on a game console, TV and DVD player are wrong and those who have all that in a single PC box are smart?

If a person is working 8-10 hours a day and comes home to watch a movie he has to first study how to setup Windows? It's not very nice to think that you're smarter than others only because your hobby is "futuristic".