nLite for Vista - Taming the Beast

PoserOfAllTrades

nLite for Vista!  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a version of nLite that supports Windows Vista?

• Hell yes!!!
    • Nah, I'm sticking with XP anyways.
    • I don't really care...
  2. 2. Don't you just love nLite?

• YES!!!
    • It's nice, but still kind of hard to use...
    • Not really...

Umm, MS has a program that allows Dev's to certify their own drivers for FREE. Above that there is a program where for a small fee, much smaller than before, that MS will test and digitally sign the drivers.

I also believe that only the self certification, which MS leaves up to the Dev's to be honest, is all that is required for x64 Vista due to the kernel restrictions which on Windows IMO is a great thing.

The task at hand for the Dev's is for all of the developers to simply make their drivers x64 vista compliant to within MS's guidelines and then self sign them.

that "free" certification requires "that you have a Class 3 Commercial Software Publisher Certificate from Verisign. This costs $500 per year, and as the name implies, is only available to commercial entities."

smaller companies such as the company that made the temperature monitor for my DFI board will most likely be unable to conform to/afford this, and this goes for small time developers who work on SpeedFan, and the fact that motherboardmonitor is now discontinued.. how am I going to monitor my temps in this OS?

True, speedfan works when I boot using F8, but it would be such a blessing if the Vista implementation of nLite disables the Driver Signature Enforcement.

Same goes for apps like DeamonTools, and although I haven't tried it yet as (en)codec packs haven't been updated yet, I suspect DVDdecrypter.

Nuhi, if you manage to fix this, there'll be a million thankfull users :)

until then, i think i'm gonna head on back to the x86 ver, when I can be arsed reinstalling.

Have you tried this:

// Disable enforcement – no signing checks

Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks ON

// Enable enforcement – signing checks apply

Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks OFF

// Disabling integrity check on an alternate OS

// specified by a GUID for the system ID

Bcdedit.exe –set {4518fd64-05f1-11da-b13e-00306e386aee} nointegritychecks ON

Taken from MS

The common mistake most people make is thinking having more RAM

will help. Come on this is Windoze we're talking about - if you have 1Gb

of RAM, Vista will use 800Mb of it. I can guarantee that if you had 2Gb

RAM, Vista would use 1.6Gb of it and if you had 4Gb RAM Vista would

use 3.2Gb of it, because thats how it works, XP is the same.

If you install XP on a machine with 64Mb RAM, it will run, on a wing and

a prayer and theres no "Fast User Switching" possible on 64Mb RAM but

XP will run. So then why is it - if you install XP on a system with 512Mb

RAM it uses more than 90Mb? Because thats the way it works! It doesn't

use 90Mb+ on a system with only 64Mb RAM because thats impossible!

This is what really sucks about Windows, it just rapes your resources at will.

No I am no fan of Linux, I actually think it sucks a lot more than Windows,

but at least Linux runs on something like 32Mb RAM and if you have 4Gb

RAM it STILL runs on the same - 32Mb RAM.

Not completely true. In fact, BSD and probably Linux use more RAM than any windows : they use as much RAM as possible.

The thing is these OS have an aggressive memory management whereas windows has a conservative one. The second swaps what he thinks is useless. The first one swaps as late as possible.

In the end, *nix use more RAM but lags less often. RAM should always be used at 100% but never wasted).

So when I ran Vista (Beta 2) in VMware, installed on 512Mb RAM (because

it WILL NOT INSTALL on any less than 512Mb RAM) then powered it off and

dropped the RAM to 224Mb it ran just as smooth as it did on 512Mb RAM.

Hope next nlite will have the tweak to enable installation on systems with less RAM.

If the Vista version of nLite is the same as the NT one then you will be able

to cut the RAM in half to about 400Mb. Vista has 40 running processes (I think)

I mean come on - FORTY processes? What the hell is that? Why does it run so

many? Get it stripped out - down to maximum 20 processes and about 50%

of the services ripped.

*nix have much more processes (but maybe not threads).

It's probably the kernel that does not perform the same way.

I think you should work on removing services and programs, plus adding tweaks, because these are the main problems Vista faces now.

After stopping about 15 services my system works much better. It would work even better if the system would be 2-3 GB(for 32 bit people) and had very little of the stuff it has now.

Adding drivers, updates, and all the rest(except unattended setup) isn't really too important for the first version, I think. Anyway, updates, drivers etc will be available later so there's no hurry.

About size: Why does the winsxs folder take so much space? Do we really need all the stuff there?

I think you should take your time, to make it as bug-free as possible.

Do you plan to add new features to Vista nLite, or will that come later?

No need to make it sticky or anything, in a week tops I'll be posting first alpha version.

Someone tested it on the RTM and it works just fine!

Is the alpha version ready yet? :hello: Can't wait to get this BloatWare trimmed down :thumbup Keep up the good work, thanks for nLite btw, it totally pwns :D

from Camarade_Tux

No I am no fan of Linux, I actually think it sucks a lot more than Windows,

but at least Linux runs on something like 32Mb RAM and if you have 4Gb

RAM it STILL runs on the same - 32Mb RAM.

Not completely true. In fact, BSD and probably Linux use more RAM than any windows : they use as much RAM as possible.
The thing is these OS have an aggressive memory management whereas windows has a conservative one. The second swaps what he thinks is useless. The first one swaps as late as possible.

In the end, *nix use more RAM but lags less often. RAM should always be used at 100% but never wasted).

the way that linux runs its program is more HARD on the memory

BUT .. heres the killer

if there is a Kernal UP it can be DONE without the need for restarting the PC for the changes to take place

and its loads the programs into memory which helps on the speed

thats if i can recall right ...

yes: the *NIX ( BSD / Linux ) use more memory but once you closed that program ... its feee up back up

Edited by ZcWorld

the way that linux runs its program is more HARD on the memory

BUT .. heres the killer

if there is a Kernal UP it can be DONE without the need for restarting the PC for the changes to take place

and its loads the programs into memory which helps on the speed

I did not really understood what you wrote. Could you clarify it a bit ?

Btw, another good point for Linux is its modular architecture.

yes: the *NIX ( BSD / Linux ) use more memory but once you closed that program ... its feee up back up

Same applies to windows : memory is returned to the OS which can do what it wants with it and which usually caches it.

Forgot to say I prefer a version of nlite that does not remove much but that is stable. Keep in mind XP and Vista installation procedures have nothing in common !

Edited by Camarade_Tux

i am missing ipx protocol... i need ipx protocol.... help :wacko:

does anyone know how to add ipx to VISTA ? thankx

wth?

how are you missing ipx in Vista?

and also.. what has this got to do with nLite? why not post in the Vista forum?

I haven't even found a way to remove IPX in Vista yet, so I have no idea how it's missing.. but you're posting in entirely the wrong forum :)

You'll get a much more positive and helpful response if you post in the Vista forums :)

I vote for a separate version of nLite is it going to be able to delete Vista, but no, this is beyond ANY limits, no way an 8 GB "OS" on my system, but if you can get it to be around 0.1 GB or maybe like 0.05 I will consider to try it then. it's more crap than I can handle, I am going to make a few versions of xp so that they would be optimal on my site, if you do manage to make vista/2003 etc... smaller or faster than any version of my xp, only then I will be willing to try it.

I don't recommend going for development of vista before nLite has been fully capable of deleting everything within xp (and it is only half way there right now).

in my opinion deletion of vista is, impossible, and if possible, will take at least a few years to fully delete it like bold fortune did, it appears that we are loosing the battle unfortunately, the people are not able to keep up with the amounts of crap that bill is making all the time, if you really want to delete vista good luck to you, but I think that investment in such a project would be overkill due to the amount of crap to delete, heck I don't know anyone that has achieved a fully deleted version of xp yet, how can you hope to fully delete vista ?

monohouse, nlite will be getting the updates but anything further removed gets less user-friendly and less people would remove that component...and above all I don't expect any big speedups beyond already achieved.

Lets not change the subject here but 100MB Vista, c'mon I bet only DX10 is that big. And if you don't need it for example then stay at XP, nothing wrong there.