nLite for Vista - Taming the Beast

PoserOfAllTrades

nLite for Vista!  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a version of nLite that supports Windows Vista?

• Hell yes!!!
    • Nah, I'm sticking with XP anyways.
    • I don't really care...
  2. 2. Don't you just love nLite?

• YES!!!
    • It's nice, but still kind of hard to use...
    • Not really...

For whatever reason, Microsoft has never truly allowed users full control over the operating system they have purchased. For whatever reason, software like Accessibility tools, internet browsers, media players and e-mail applications are forced to be installed on windows based systems, even if the user doesn't ever, EVER use them.

This is what we have nLite for. Nothing feels better than taking a 3GB installation and trimming it down to 1GB.

What if we could do that with Vista? Turning an 8GB install into 4 would even be a hell of an improvement.

There is just so much junk and clutter in Vista that many users just won't need. (IE Windows Mail, Movie Maker, Accessibility Tools, etc.) All the fancy GUI's and new features for programs we never use anyways just take up disk space and bloat the system.

I know that, personally, when Vista comes out I will want to use it for the increased security and DX10 that only Vista can bring, but at the same time, I don't want a bunch of crap on my system that I will never use.

This is where the guys at nLite come in.

They have already done and INCREDIBLE job on nLite and I can only hope that they do the same for Vista.

Let's vote, seriously here. Let's show the nLite devs that we appreciate their work (by posting stories about current nLite use) and let's also show them that we want to see the next-gen of nLite for Vista.

Until Microsoft realizes that normal users don't want all the crap they have built into the OS and make an installation system that allows users to actually customize their own systems, nLite is all we have (that's arguably the easiest)!

increased security

has not MS being saying that about there all of there windows OS

?

arrr

i think most people will stick to there xp ver of winodws

if you got hardware that will not have drivers for the lastest

like some TV tuner cards and other hardware

but i hate to say

you gotta wait for the dev kit comes out for vista

before doing any editing / mod

but im sure its out there but not for all yet

Camarade_Tux, lol good point.

PoserOfAllTrades, it's already made, but it requires time to be ready for public, also it will need final tweaking when final Vista is released.

When you're all so eager, judging by the new topic every few days regarding this subject, I could release it a little earlier for you to play with it.

Don't ask when but when someone else asks will there be one, tell them yes.

Camarade_Tux, lol good point.

PoserOfAllTrades, it's already made, but it requires time to be ready for public, also it will need final tweaking when final Vista is released.

When you're all so eager, judging by the new topic every few days regarding this subject, I could release it a little earlier for you to play with it.

Don't ask when but when someone else asks will there be one, tell them yes.

Wow, didn't expect nuhi to post in my thread. Well, since you have seen the post, I want to thank you for nLite, it really makes a huge difference and is a great help for power-users like myself.

If you need a beta tester for the Vista version of nLite, send me a PM and I'll be happy to test it for you!

the organize (command bar) has got to go !

and if it's possible at all, it'll need nlite to do it

also there's like 50 settings I change on a stock vista install , no way I'm installing vista again if it's not with nlite

I for one don't plan on migrating to Vista. If I'll see myself forced to install it, it will be on a virtual machine under Linux. I hate eyecandy with a passion, and I don't see much of an improvement under all the crud they'll add.

Not to bash MS, but I have a feeling that one of the core areas Vista will want to really shine in is DRM. Also, this will probably be in the top 10 features (quotation marks spared) people won't want :P

Even though I'd like to use this small and fast XP version forever, I'll need to upgrade to vista because of DX10. And with an nlite for Vista it won't be so bad, so I can remove the bloatware and unneeded crap.

Ok I'm having the naming issue...it was planned to be named Veestah (Vista + Cheetah, don't laugh ;))

but some people told me it's not that wise, what do you think, is 'nLite for Vista' better? Maybe shorter like 'nLite Vista'...hmm even makes sense.

Ok I'm having the naming issue...it was planned to be named Veestah (Vista + Cheetah, don't laugh ;))

but some people told me it's not that wise, what do you think, is 'nLite for Vista' better? Maybe shorter like 'nLite Vista'...hmm even makes sense.

The name "nLite Vista" would be a good choice, but maybe you will get problems with Microsoft.....