Integrating SATA and RAID drivers with HFSLIP

Oleg_II

Attention! This method is supported by last official release of HFSLIP but it still needs testing and maybe improving. Unfortunately I can't test it myself as I don't have SATA/RAID drivers. Please report your experience and suggestions about using it. If you feel like interested in supporting the database and even creating universal packages for HFSLIP SATA/RAID integrating feature please go ahead and share your knowledge :)

Simple method of integrating other drivers could be found here.

The idea was inspirated by reading this topic. Interesting link too.

Big thanks to glentium and iTwins for testing, catching bugs and giving advices! :thumbup

First step: preparing driver files.

Copy to hard disk all files from the floppy disk with SATA/RAID drivers that came with your motherboard.

You may also use drivers from others SATA/RAID driver packs.

Second step: preparing folder structure.

Create folder HFEXPERT in HFSLIP directory. Go inside this folder and create STORAGE subfolder in it. Place all driver binaries in this folder.

Third step: creating database file.

Download our database file*, extract it and place STORAGE.INI in STORAGE folder.

Advanced users may create their own much shorter driver database file with only two sections: [HardwareIdsDatabase] and [sCSI] using drivers TXTSETUP.OEM file (use downloaded file as an example).

*scankurban should be credited for creating and sharing the information used in it.

If HFSLIP finds any SYS files in HFEXPERT\STORAGE folder it will add four sections to TXTSETUP.SIF. That will let you use SATA/RAID support during Windows installation :)

Database file STORAGE.INI may not be up-to-date. If your SATA/RAID controller is not installing check if it is in the database or post the content of TXTSETUP.OEM file here so that we try to help you.

storage.zip

Edited by Oleg_II

Oleg...

Situation in 61014c:

1) Multiple INI files are accepted; they should start with "STORAGE" and end with the .INI extension. Long file names are accepted but spaces are not. Examples: STORAGE.INI, sToRaGe1.iNi, STORAGE999.INI,... Their contents are copied into TXTSETUP.SIF

2) SYS files are compressed into SOURCESS\I386, and entries are added in TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF

3) Other file types are merely copied into SOURCESS\I386 (uncompressed, and no references for them in TXTSETUP.SIF or DOSNET.INF)

Edited by Tomcat76

Unfortunately I just setup my RAID machine recently or I would use it to test this. There is probably a way to simulate this with VMWare but I am not at home right now to tinker with it.

But with VM you can only test a very limited set of scenarios.

Tomcat76

Disturbing you again ;)

I replied you in test version topic about it:

No the order of sections is not important. It's fine now.

I'm not sure about SYS files only. I think only SYS are refferenced in section SCSI.load of TXTSETUP.SIF.

And I see some other files in packages: DLL, EXE, CPL, TAG, VXD and PDB.

CAT and INF files are not refferenced in scankurban's version.

I think it's not important right now.

Maybe other files needed in TXTSETUP.SIF and DOTNET.SIF too. It's better to mentions them too only under [sourceDisksFiles] section.

Only TXTSETUP.OEM is definetelly not needed.

TAiN :hello:

Thanx for trying to help :) No problem, it should work in theory as it works when doing it manually according to reports (I specified the link on such topic in Unattended Drivers Forum). We just need to create full STORAGE*.INI files and find out which files are needed and which can be omitted.

Edited by Oleg_II

Tomcat76

It's =1,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4 for all files according to scankurban.

It's = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4 for SYS files in TommyP's example.

It's = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1 in Anderz's example (he made it uncompressed but according to others it's not necessery).

Two more tutorials (including MSFN's one) state = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1 for SYS files.

Too many choices.

Now I'm thinking of what: maybe you are right just placing them into i386 but don't add into TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF - when installing drivers Windows will search for them in i386 folder on CD too.

But anyway if you don't mind let it be =1,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4 for now. If something goes wrong after testing it's simple to change the string :)

Camarade_Tux

You mean you can not install your RAID driver using this method?

Edited by Oleg_II

Camarade_Tux

No, of course it's better not to test on the work computers :)

Tomcat76

Thank you!

PS

Probably I have to buy one motherboard that needs installing SATA drivers (can't afford to buy more then one right now). Have other hardware including a couple of SATA drives (can use it untill the end of October, this computer doesn't need drivers because it maps SATA as IDE drive during installation), probably will need only a CPU in addition to the motherboard.

Any advice of some sofisticated model with difficult drivers? Just for testing ;) don't need a new computer.

(BTW, I have Intel AHCI SATA Controller)

I never bothered with the other files provide with my SATA controller but I only used 3 files: iastor.inf, iahci.inf and iastor.sys (makecabBED and modifypeD); Then I added the following entries:

In DOSNET.INF:

[FloppyFiles.2]

d1,iastor.sys

[strings]

iastor = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver"

[Files]

d1,iastor.sys

In TXTSETUP.SIF:

[sourceDisksFiles]

iaahci.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

iastor.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

iastor.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

[sCSI.Load]

iastor = iastor.sys,4

[sCSI]

iastor = "Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M)"

In general it's nearly the same.

I've just tried WinBuilder (something like BartPE) and it can include support for SATA/RAID drivers including only SYS files and editing TXTSETUP.SIF.

"out-of-the-box" the latest HFSLIP and this method didn't work for me and text mode portion of setup cannot find my harddrive.. :(

after fiddling with it for a few hours, I found out that the problem is with the database (STORAGE.INI)

I had to change the line particular to my storage driver in the [HardwareIdsDatabase] section from:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller"

to:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iastor", "Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller"

the reason is because this line will call the corresponding line in [sCSI] section which in this case is, not "Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller" (which doesn't exists), but:

iastor = "Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M)"

perhaps it also true for the rest of the database. the records in the [sCSI] portion must match the records in the [HardwareIdsDatabase].

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iastor" would suffice, but then in the text mode portion of setup you will see:

Setup is loading files (iastor)...

so putting PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iastor", "Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller"

, you will see a more descriptive message in the text mode portion:

Setup is loading files (Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller)...

One more thing, it didn't work with ".DeviceDesc" in it so I had to remove it... ".DeviceDesc" doesn't appear in any record in the original TXTSETUP.SIF.

with that, perhaps we just need to change STORAGE.INI to reflect the same changes as in my case and, maybe, other scenario would also be okay.

otherwise, the HFSLIP script to slipstream the storage drivers was perfect! :)

Edited by glentium