Program written higher for xp/2000 how to integrate in 98SE?

gesture

Being using Windows 98SE

Anyone know the best possible solution how to install the latest version of program written for Windows xp or Windows 2000 in Windows 98SE

It would be nice to hear more tipps and tricks on the subject from different users

well for some programs they will work even if it says it cant you simply edit the msi with orca 2 and you may be able to run it.

If a program requires dependencies in PSAPI.dll Tihiy provided a Dll which didnt depend on anything so you could fool the program.

If you add an entry to HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version

called Current Version and an entry of 5.1 you can also fool version checkers.

well for some programs they will work even if it says it cant you simply edit the msi with orca 2 and you may be able to run it.

If a program requires dependencies in PSAPI.dll Tihiy provided a Dll which didnt depend on anything so you could fool the program.

If you add an entry to HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version

called Current Version and an entry of 5.1 you can also fool version checkers.

I tried this method but it doesn't work.

the only shot you have (that I know of) at making an XP, etc proggie work on 98se is:

Xeno86's kernel update project.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71476

may get a few xp proggies to work, not all....

I tried this option but still unable to get internet explorer 7 - getting same routine error psapi.dll

Besides my version is 98 10.4.2222

Gesture, you may try the Xeno86's kernel update project. This is the best option available. After installing it you may post on its thread and request features which are specific to I.E 7.

HTH.

I tried this option but still unable to get internet explorer 7 - getting same routine error psapi.dll

Please read other threads here, it was definitely concluded that there is no chance to run IE7 on Windows 98.

Petr

Please read other threads here, it was definitely concluded that there is no chance to run IE7 on Windows 98.

Petr

You might be right. I am trying my best with all the possible version and opportunities to run IE7 on Windows 98 but repeated getting same error psapi.dll or by IE7 Beta it says version expired. Hope may be someone would bring new ideas or creation! Let's hope for the best. Thanks Petr and my regards

Gesture, you may try the Xeno86's kernel update project. This is the best option available. After installing it you may post on its thread and request features which are specific to I.E 7.

HTH.

Dear HTH

I tried with this Xeno86's kernel update

Error :

Installation mode

Detected "Wininit.ini" file! Can't proceed! Please reboot first!

Dear HTH

I tried with this Xeno86's kernel update

Error :

Installation mode

Detected "Wininit.ini" file! Can't proceed! Please reboot first!

Please tell me that you got offended by HTH :lol: . Which BTW means "Hope this helps". You do understand BTW; do'nt you ;).

Anyway coming back to the topic. You could post that same installation error on Xeno's kernel update thread, a solution may be possible. :)

Also Your thread says"Program written higher for xp/2000 how to integrate in 98SE" it does not say running I.E.7, you must find some way around Xeno's Kernel update or make your own. Post the things you have B) and people will help you.

What about Windows live Messenger on 98SE?

It will accept MSN Messenger upto 7.00

For the higher version it will say, you have to up grade your OS to XP/Windows 2000 level

Same is with Quick Time up till 6.5 ver.

Windows Media Player 9 ver.