Replacing Scandisk with Chkdsk

Chkdsk for NTx [WinNT4/XP/2003/Vista] OSes does *not* work under 9x [Win95/98/ME] OSes or MS-DOS 6/7/8.

Use SCANDISK.EXE from WinME setup CD [CABs] = newest, best + fastest.

Create a BATch file [call it SCANDISK.BAT for example] with these lines, and place it inside the same directory where SCANDISK.EXE resides:

@ECHO OFF
IF "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" GOTO END
MEM /C | FIND /I "vmm32">NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO END
MEM /C | FIND /I "COMMAND">NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO NOLOK
ECHO Y | LOCK C:
ECHO Y | LOCK D:
ECHO Y | LOCK E:
ECHO Y | LOCK F:
:NOLOK
IF EXIST C:\DOSLFN\DOSLFN.COM C:\DOSLFN\DOSLFN.COM w+ ~- t+ le
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\COMMAND\SCANDISK.EXE %winbootdir%\COMMAND\SCANDISK.EXE /ALL /CUSTOM
IF EXIST C:\NORTON\NDD.EXE C:\NORTON\NDD.EXE C: D: E: F: /Q /NOCOMP /NOHOST
IF EXIST C:\NUTSBOLT\DMDOS.EXE C:\NUTSBOLT\DMDOS.EXE /ALL /NOSUMMARY
MEM /C | FIND /I "DOSLFN">NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 C:\DOSLFN\DOSLFN.COM u
MEM /C | FIND /I "COMMAND">NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO END
UNLOCK C:
UNLOCK D:
UNLOCK E:
UNLOCK F:
:END
CLS
EXIT

This BATch also runs NDD.EXE [Norton Disk Doctor (NDD) from Norton Utilities/SystemWorks = newest version is from Symantec Norton Utilities/SystemWorks 2002] and DMDOS.EXE [from Helix Software Nuts & Bolts]. NDD + DMDOS are similar, but faster and better tools than M$ SCANDISK.EXE.

NDD.EXE also needs a customized SYMCFG.BIN file inside same directory to run completely unattended.

You need to modify paths [drive letters +/- directory names] if different on your computer(s).

%winbootdir% = usually C:\WINDOWS .

If you want to try NDD/DMDOS, please email me:

http://www.mdgx.com/form.htm

You can edit this BATch file in Notepad and add/change lines if you wish.

For example, you can add lines for automatically deleting *.CHK and/or SCANDISK.LOG files from C:\ root [and D:\ , E:\ etc... if you have more than 1 HD/partition].

Please notice that this BATCh contains lines for 4 drives/partitions: C , D , E + F [modify it to match your computer(s) specs].

If you use any other command/shell environment [like 4DOS or NDOS or PDOS] instead of COMMAND.COM , the LOCK + UNLOCK commands will not work.

To learn what LOCK + UNLOCK do, run them with the /? switch:

LOCK /?

UNLOCK /?

LOCK + UNLOCK are only available as internal COMMAND.COM built-in commands in MS-DOS 7.xx + 8.00 [a.k.a. Win9x/ME].

MS-DOS 5.xx + 6.xx do not have them.

This BATch file will abort if you try to run scandisk.exe from within Windows 9x UI.

SCANDISK.EXE [and implicitly SCANDISK.BAT] must be run only from within native/real/true/pure MS-DOS 6/7/8.

WinME can be forced to boot to native/true/real/pure MS-DOS mode if using 1 of these Real-Mode DOS patches:

http://www.mdgx.com/dos.htm#ME

That way you can also use autoexec.bat + config.sys under WinME.

SCANDISK.EXE from WinME CABs is compatible with MS-DOS 6.xx, but LFNs will not be saved/fixed/properly deleted, because MS-DOS 6.xx does not support LFNs.

MS-DOS 6.00, 6.20, 6.21 + 6.22 = M$ DOS based OSes [stand alone].

MS-DOS 7.00 = part of Win95/95a OSR1.

MS-DOS 7.10 = part of Win95B/95C OSR2.x + Win98/98 SP1/98 SE.

MS-DOS 8.00 = part of WinME.

More details:

http://www.mdgx.com/ver.htm#TAB

This BATch also loads DOSLFN [if you have it] to allow LFNs to be properly deleted/fixed by these DOS tools.

DOSLFN [freeware]:

http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/doslfn/

SCANDISK.INI must exist inside the same directory where SCANDISK.EXE resides.

Example of SCANDISK.INI tweaked to completely automate scandisk.exe by running BATch file above:

[ENVIRONMENT]
Display=Color
Mouse=On
ScanTimeOut=Off
NumPasses=1
LabelCheck=On
LfnCheck=On
SpaceCheck=On
Mount=Never
[CUSTOM]
DriveSummary=Off
AllSummary=Off
Surface=Never
CheckHost=Never
SaveLog=Off
Undo=Never
DS_Header=Fix
FAT_Media=Fix
Okay_Entries=Fix
Bad_Chain=Fix
Crosslinks=Fix
Boot_Sector=Fix
Invalid_MDFAT=Fix
DS_Crosslinks=Fix
DS_LostClust=Fix
DS_Signatures=Fix
Mismatch_FAT=Fix
Bad_Clusters=Fix
Bad_Entries=Delete
LostClust=Delete

This scandisk.ini:

- does not perform surface scan, which would take a very long time.

- disables creation of SCANDISK.LOG.

- disables all popup/error/completion messages, unless there are serious errors on disk(s)/partition(s).

- disables checking for DrvSpace compressed drives.

Backup your original scandisk.ini , or extract a "fresh" copy from the Win9x CABs.

Example using Win98SE [CD/DVD drive is letter D = change if necessary]:

EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_50.CAB /L %windir%\COMMAND SCANDISK.INI

This command will copy scandisk.ini to %windir%\COMMAND [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS].

If you'd like for scandisk.exe not to run automatically every time upon reboot [even if disk errors/defective clusters exist], you must modify your C:\MSDOS.SYS [and C:\WINBOOT.INI if using any] and add/change this line under the [Options] section to read:

[Options]

AutoScan=0

This works with Win95, 98 + ME [all editions].

If using WinME, you also need to merge (run) this REG file [save it in Notepad as NOSCANME.REG for example] into your registry to disable scandskw [or scandisk if using any Real-Mode DOS patch] on reboot:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"DisableScandiskOnBoot"=hex:01
;

If you'd like to run scandskw.exe [the Windows couterpart] completely unattended without nagging prompts [unless there are serious errors on disk(s)/partition(s)], just run from within Windows 9x:

%windir%\SCANDSKW.EXE /A /N

More info about scandskw.exe, scandisk.exe + scandisk.ini:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#WDIW

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip18.htm#SHS

http://www.mdgx.com/me1.htm#DSOB

http://www.mdgx.com/osr2.htm#BYPASS

http://www.mdgx.com/98-4.htm#KSL

http://www.mdgx.com/98-1.htm#SCAN83

http://www.mdgx.com/lastweek.htm#UNDEFSCAN

HTH

Edited by MDGx

ok, I got 98SE2ME, does that include me scandisk?
98SE2ME options 1 + 2 both install scandisk.exe + scandskw.exe from WinME CABs.

You must have WinME CABs [WinME setup CD-ROM] for this.

Full details:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

BTW:

WinME specific tweaks I listed above are not necessary, because your OS will still be Win98SE, even after you install 98SE2ME or any other package/update.

HTH

I installed 98SE2ME with an ME Cd. I chose option 1 (installs ALL options listed below [2, 4, 5, 6, 7 + 8] EXCEPT option 3).

That means I have Scandisk Me?

I'm going to answer by quoting my previous post, which answers your question:
98SE2ME options 1 + 2 both install scandisk.exe + scandskw.exe from WinME CABs.

HTH

BTW:

This is a 98SE2ME related issue.

If you have any other questions about or related to 98SE2ME, please post them in the dedicated 98SE2ME forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

Thanks.

Edited by MDGx

I have a problem with Scandisk. The problem is related to 98SE2Me, but it is not the only factor, thus the problem is being posted here.

Basically, Scandisk no longer works properly. If I restart improperly, Scandisk will load, but you can't see it. The screen is black. The only way I know I'm in Scandisk is when I hit escape, and a white, featureless rectangle pops up, which I proved to be the Scandisk exit window.

I tried to see if I could load Scandisk at all normally. I restarted my computer into MS-DOS mode and typed "scandisk". The result was that it froze, stuck at the blinking cursor.

The 98 modifications I have installed are

- all current Windows Updates

- The Unofficial Windows 98 Sevice Pack, latest version

- 98SE2me, all options except three

- Windows Revolutions Pack 6+ (with Me cd)

What could be the problem?

Check this out: http://datalight.com/products/romdos/produ...su_download.php

This company has designed their own DOS, complete with their own version of chkdsk, which looks and feels quite a bit like Windows 2000/XP's chkdsk command.

What's great is that they allow you to download their DOS for free.

I've confirmed that their EXE's will run fine on a Win9x system, as well as in Windows XP's 16-bit subsystem - I'm able to run their COMMAND.COM as my command interpreter. Pretty neat. What's also neat, is that they're giving out their ROM-DOS for free, as well as how-to's on building their DOS kernel.

I still have to see if you can install Win9x on top of this, as it would make a great replacement for IO.SYS, if you need a real dos layer... ;)

Edited by jimmsta

I have a problem with Scandisk. The problem is related to 98SE2Me, but it is not the only factor, thus the problem is being posted here.

Basically, Scandisk no longer works properly. If I restart improperly, Scandisk will load, but you can't see it. The screen is black. The only way I know I'm in Scandisk is when I hit escape, and a white, featureless rectangle pops up, which I proved to be the Scandisk exit window.

I tried to see if I could load Scandisk at all normally. I restarted my computer into MS-DOS mode and typed "scandisk". The result was that it froze, stuck at the blinking cursor.

The 98 modifications I have installed are

- all current Windows Updates

- The Unofficial Windows 98 Sevice Pack, latest version

- 98SE2me, all options except three

- Windows Revolutions Pack 6+ (with Me cd)

What could be the problem?

I have created + maintain only 98SE2ME from your list of "98 modifications" above.

Therefore I can only speak about 98SE2ME.

For all others please contact their authors/maintainers.

As far as I'm aware 98SE2ME does not influence/change the way scandisk or scandskw perform/behave/etc.

98SE2ME only replaces older scandisk.exe + scandskw.exe files from your 98SE with the newer WinME counterparts, and only if your 98SE versions of these files are already present in the default directories [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS] at 98SE2ME install time:

%windir%\COMMAND\SCANDISK.EXE or %windir%\SCANDISK.EXE

%windir%\SCANDSKW.EXE

So far I've never heard of any such incompatibilities/bugs/errors related to 98SE2ME.

But if you have changed/edited/deleted/renamed scandisk.ini, or if you are running either scandisk [from native MS-DOS] or scandskw [from within Windows] with any command line parameters other than default, then scandisk and/or scandskw will behave differently.

In Win98SE the C:\MSDOS.SYS [and C:\WINBOOT.INI if any] "AutoScan=" setting dictates how scandisk [native MS-DOS mode] behaves at boot time in case of disk errors.

Scandskw [Windows mode] behavior can be modified by making changes to your registry.

Please see the scandisk + scandskw guides linked in my previous post above for details.

BTW:

Scandisk.exe boot time behavior can also be changed by "hexing" %windir%\WIN.COM which contains this string:

SCANDISK /SIMPLEUI /CUSTOM

Norton Utilities/SystemWorks can rename/disable scandisk.exe and replace it with its own ndd.exe native MS-DOS tool.

So does Helix/NAI (McAfee) Nuts & Bolts = dmdos.exe .

If you install Windows ME, scandisk.exe from Win98SE is disabled/deleted/renamed.

This is because WinME uses only Windows mode scandskw.exe.

Hope this helps.

I think it may be the revolutions pack, because it has a different loading screen setup. perhaps taht is the problem?

you may want to discuss about the problem with RP and scandisk/chkdsk in the Revolutions Pack Lite thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58357

BTW - Win9xME/DOS CHKDSK command can only check FAT12/FAT16 volumes for problems. Win9xME CHKDSK can detect FAT32 volumes BUT will not scan them for problems. SCANDISK must be used to check and fix FAT32 partitions.

Is there someway to replace the crappy DOS Scandisk include with 98SE with the Chkdsk scanner used with Windows 2000/XP?

That way, when I improperly restart, it actually will fix stuff.

It doesn't break anything to improperly restart usually.

I only shut down with the power button since years because it is faster.

And of course I have disabled the automatic scandisk after bad shutdown.

Then you probably lost a major amount of HDD space. Don't be surprised if you get an error when files are being updated.

Also, new files can end up being corrupted, because of files being crosslinked. You're asking for HDD corruption.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Well, I don't shut down while data is written to disk. And I do scandisk once a month or so. It finds a few lost file fragments which invariably turn out to be firewal logfiles and that's it.

The only time I screwed a drive when shutting down with the power button was while doing a defrag with a third party tool. I had no other choice as the system froze and I could not do anything else.

I have got a feeling that those crosslinked files errors besides the above scenario arise more when the OS has been reinstalled over itself several times.

If you use a tool such as DriveRescue on such a drive where the OS has been reinstalled several times, you'll notice that it will find several lost logical drives on your disk, all of which it can browse.

So that one of my regular maintenance operation is to erase Hard Disk free space as to avoid having data structure belonging to old installs, etc... present on the disk.

But you're certainly right saying that it is better and safer to shutdown normally.

Well, I don't shut down while data is written to disk. And I do scandisk once a month or so. It finds a few lost file fragments which invariably turn out to be firewal logfiles and that's it.

The only time I screwed a drive when shutting down with the power button was while doing a defrag with a third party tool. I had no other choice as the system froze and I could not do anything else.

I have got a feeling that those crosslinked files errors besides the above scenario arise more when the OS has been reinstalled over itself several times.

If you use a tool such as DriveRescue on such a drive where the OS has been reinstalled several times, you'll notice that it will find several lost logical drives on your disk, all of which it can browse.

So that one of my regular maintenance operation is to erase Hard Disk free space as to avoid having data structure belonging to old installs, etc... present on the disk.

But you're certainly right saying that it is better and safer to shutdown normally.

It's mostly because of Vcache not writing all data to the HDD right away when a save request was made,

the write behind cache. Also, you got the hardware cache on the HDD to worry about, too!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

• 5 weeks later...

Is there someway to replace the crappy DOS Scandisk include with 98SE with the Chkdsk scanner used with Windows 2000/XP?

That way, when I improperly restart, it actually will fix stuff.

It doesn't break anything to improperly restart usually.

I only shut down with the power button since years because it is faster.

And of course I have disabled the automatic scandisk after bad shutdown.

The CHKDSK tool from WinNT4/2k/XP/2k3/Vista does NOT work under Win9xME systems. requires DLL files from NT-based OSes which may not work under Win9xME.

I sometimes use the Power button to initiate a shut down on my WinME computer as long as ACPI support is enabled. heck I even pressed the Power button on my brother's XP laptop and it automated the shutdown process. I wont try this on older non-ACPI computers as hitting the Power button to shut down those dinosaur-aged Pentium One PCs can actually damage or corrupt files (I've had that happen to me a few times)