Word "Out of Memory" errors since Patch Tuesday?

jfield

Since this previous Patch Tuesday, we are having intermittent problems with Word not opening and throwing the error "there is not enough memory or disk space to run word". Now, first thing, there is enough memory - nothing is taking up a lot of GDI object or Virtual Memory, and there is

100mb+ of physical memory free. There is 27GB or hard drive space. The

page file is only 20-25% utilized. I've tried deleting Normal.dot, doesn't seem to have an affect. It also seems to affect other office applications in different ways - I get nothing from Excel for instance when this is occuring, not even an error, it just doesn't open.

After some additional diagnosing, it appears rebooting fixes the issue, but only for the first user that logs in after the reboot. I've advised my users to reboot when they log off, but that isn't a very elegant solution.

All signs point to it being one of the critical patches WSUS pulled down this week - but has anyone else run into this, and if so have they found out which update it is or found some other solution? I've checked experts-exchange and the MS newsgroups, as well as several forums and haven't found a solution yet that has worked.

Platform is XP SP2 with Office 2003 and all current updates. The machines are members of an active directory domain. Let me know if there is any additional information I could provide that would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Edited by jfield