XP Media Center vs. XP Pro ?

I'm getting a new PC that comes with XP Media Center Edition 2005. I'm not so interested in all the media features, but I'm getting it because it's a package deal with the PC.

Can I set up MCE to look like XP Pro and Win 2000, which is what I'm used to from my PCs at home and office? By "look like" I mean the desktop and other basic elements like the task bar, etc.? Is there anything I should know about differences in the user experience for MCE versus XP Pro?

Also, I've heard anecdotes about users having problems running hardware on MCE but having no problems running the same hardware on XP Pro- is there anything I should be worried about in that area?

• 5 months later...

Almost but not quite like Pro. Some differences as mentioned above. But if you want it to look like Win2K:

• Turn off the stupid Welcome screen so you can have the Windows Classic logon prompt. Go to Control panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on and off > Uncheck Use the Welcome Screen > Press Apply. This will make your logon look like Win2K rather than preschool. :rolleyes: Also, it will allow you to lock the computer and such, which you can't do with the welcome screen.
  • Use Windows Classic theme. Desktop > right-click > select Windows Classic > OK
  • Turn off Simple File Sharing. My Computer > Tools menu > Folder options > View tab > uncheck use Simple file sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh, by defaut the domain name management (joining it a network area) has been removed from MCE 2005, but available in xp pro. All you really need is MS Plus to look like MCE 2005 on XP Pro.

Edited by Walchinc