Imagex/BDD + Windows XP

I debated on which forum to post this to so hopefully this will do. Has anyone used the new bdd2007 tools with windows XP? I am exited about the technology but my company will not be moving to vista for awhile. I am looking to take advantage of these tools now. At least imagex.

if you at least wanted to implement imagex, you could prep your Windows XP image just the same way that you did before, sysprep the machine, then at the stage where you would capture the HD with ghost, capture it with Imagex instead, you will have to script out how the image is laid down again, depending how you apply it (network chare, DVD, WDS) but that will at least allow you to use imagex, i have heard that you can use the BDD to capture XP installs now but have not had the time to try it

XP isn't officially supported, but it still can be done.

If you're specifically looking at ImageX, you can check out my testing from quite a while back.

Keep in mind that this wasn't really aimed at deployment with BDD, but rather to find a quicker way to install XP. (Sysprepped image -> WIM -> apply image to HDD from WinPE)

You can check it out at http://www.voidfx.com/FX/Random:WIM_Installation

Bit old, but it might point you in the right direction, at least for capturing.

Also, if you look on connect, you'll find that the latest version of BDD Beta2 supports XP deployment.

So has anyone been able to make a successful Download through BDD with Windows XP? I have but that was just image only. After I did some more tweaking of the image and syspreped the system the image will no longer download through the BDD using the Network boot agent.

The image gets to 90% or 93% of file extraction and gets an application error.

“Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070020”

The error code seams to be generic.

But if I boot to the winpe cd and map to the drive then “imageX /apply” the image to the hard drive it has no problem Downloading the image. I just have to remember to Bootsect the c: drive after I apply the image.

I am thinking I am not excluding something from the image I should. And to tell ya the truth I don’t remember where the file is I edit to setup the exclusion list.

If any one comes up with anything let me know.

So has anyone been able to make a successful Download through BDD with Windows XP? I have but that was just image only. After I did some more tweaking of the image and syspreped the system the image will no longer download through the BDD using the Network boot agent.

The image gets to 90% or 93% of file extraction and gets an application error.

“Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070020”

The error code seams to be generic.

But if I boot to the winpe cd and map to the drive then “imageX /apply” the image to the hard drive it has no problem Downloading the image. I just have to remember to Bootsect the c: drive after I apply the image.

I am thinking I am not excluding something from the image I should. And to tell ya the truth I don’t remember where the file is I edit to setup the exclusion list.

If any one comes up with anything let me know.

truly i would wait for the Bdd to be finished before trying to use it to preform XP installs. it will be supported at that point and any errors you encounter now will most likely be worked out.