98 (FE), 98 SP1, 98 SE + ME SHELL32.DLL fix

MDGx

i want to announce on my complete updates list that q313829 has been made obsolete by this Explorer lockups fix. I'm hoping the fix was performed on the shell32.dll patched with q313829. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? If a user installs SHELL98 before q313829, they will not be able to install q313829 and Windows update can't install it either. This is the reason i want to make it obsolete, especially if it actually is! Then i can get rid of it from Auto-Patcher and just use this one. The q313829 hotfix does add 2 registry entries which can easily be added to SHELL98 if they are needed. Can anyone shed some light?

Edited by soporific

soporific:

As far as I'm aware, the anonymous author used SHELL32.DLL 4.72.3812.600 from Q313829 to create SHELL98 [sHELL32.DLL 4.72.3812.634].

SHELL98 backs up any SHELL32.DLL [no matter the version] present in %windir%\system as SHELL32.ORI .

If the user uninstalls SHELL98, the original SHELL32.ORI [no matter the version] is renamed back to SHELL32.DLL after reboot.

This way the older Q313829 can be installed, but only if newer SHELL98 is uninstalled first [automated installs too], or if the user allows the older file to replace the newer one [manual installs only] = should be a dialog box for that.

BTW:

SHELL98 also installs the 2 registry entries you are referring to [i copied them from Q313829 ;)]:

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer,DisableFlushWrites,1,01,00,00,00

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer,UseCopyMaxBufferSize,1,01,00,00,00

HTH

• 4 months later...

I waited long for the polish version of the SHELL32.DLL fix.

I can only say it works better, than any other solution I found. I did tested it along with the IE 5.5 browser dll substitution. I do not know how it will work without the browser dll fix applied, but when both are applied I can not replicate the locking effect, any longer.

The only problem is downloading this file from the rapidshare.com. I'm connected through a large WAN. So, I'm sharing the same IP with many users. The Rapidshare limits the ability to download files from the same IP. Since, there are some Rapidshare lovers in my lan, I was unable to download it. I had to ask a friend with a DSL line to download it, and then to send it to me.

Interesting behaviour with IE6SP1 and fixed shell32.dll on 98SE (en-uk), Explorer in "Classic Style".

- set up a folder named "c" in the Desktop folder or in a subdirectory of it (say, "c:\win98se\desktop\xyz\c")

- create or copy a file into this folder

- copy the folder, either by ctrl+c, ctrl+v or by right-click-drag-drop>Copy Here in the containing folder

- can you believe what happens? At least for me this message box:

"! The c:\win98se\desktop\xyz\Copy of c\py of c folder does not exist.

Do you want to create it?"

I hope it's OK to say in this forum "WTF?"

The folder name "c" and its location under the Desktop are both necessary.

I haven't got an unpatched 98SE to hand so if anyone cares to test this with various patch levels please post the result.

For instance, is it an artefact of this shell32 fix? Of the IE6/XP shell files? Of IE6SP1 on 98SE generally?

I can not reproduce the effect on Windows 98 IE6SP1 with and without the SHELL32.DLL fix, but:

- The Polish Windows 98 version is using a different folder as the Desktop folder (C:\Windows\Pulpit).

- I do have the browser DLL fix apllied. (Browseui.dll and Browselc.dll were replaced with IE 5.5 versions).

• 1 month later...
Interesting behaviour with IE6SP1 and fixed shell32.dll on 98SE (en-uk), Explorer in "Classic Style".

- set up a folder named "c" in the Desktop folder or in a subdirectory of it (say, "c:\win98se\desktop\xyz\c")

- create or copy a file into this folder

- copy the folder, either by ctrl+c, ctrl+v or by right-click-drag-drop>Copy Here in the containing folder

- can you believe what happens? At least for me this message box:

"! The c:\win98se\desktop\xyz\Copy of c\py of c folder does not exist.

Do you want to create it?"

I hope it's OK to say in this forum "WTF?"

The folder name "c" and its location under the Desktop are both necessary.

I haven't got an unpatched 98SE to hand so if anyone cares to test this with various patch levels please post the result.

For instance, is it an artefact of this shell32 fix? Of the IE6/XP shell files? Of IE6SP1 on 98SE generally?

Anonymous author answers your question:
"/df" wrote on Oct 1 2007, 03:57 PM:

> Interesting behaviour with IE6SP1 and fixed shell32.dll on 98SE (en-uk),

> Explorer in "Classic Style"...

This bug is far more serious and may not be in SHELL32.DLL. It occurs with

unpatched SHELL32.DLL versions 4.72.3612.1700 and 4.72.3812.600. So no, it has

nothing to do with my patch. As I wrote previously, my patch does not at all

modify the code that does the actual copying, moving, deleting, renaming, etc.

of files and folders.

The bug occurs with *any* *nonempty* subdirectory that (1) has a name of

c

co

cop

copy

copy

copy o

copy of

copy of

copy of c

copy of co

copy of cop

... and so forth (no other characters in the filename!) and (2) does not

already have a copy of itself when a copy of it is made.

I would expect the name of the subdirectory triggering the bug to be different

in non-English versions of SHELL32.DLL, for example "copia di copia di ..." in

Italian.

I hope this helps.

HTH

• 4 months later...

Recently, I've tested the Shell32.dll fix with and without the browser DLL fix.

Looks like the Shell32.dll does not solve the problem completely. The same goes to the browser DLL fix. But, when both fixes are applied the result seems to be a perfect one.

• 2 years later...

I urgently need a German language version of the fixed SHELL32.DLL .

How often I have cursed Explorer when it crashed while copying many files to an UDF CDR (using PacketCD from WinOnCD 3.7 PowerEdition), which sometimes even made the writer eat the disc full of precious backup data. It was like burning CDs in a rollercoaster, yes indeed a coaster! :realmad:

Edited by CyberyogiCoWindler

• 2 weeks later...

How often I have cursed Explorer when it crashed while copying many files to an UDF CDR (using PacketCD from WinOnCD 3.7 PowerEdition), which sometimes even made the writer eat the disc full of precious backup data. It was like burning CDs in a rollercoaster, yes indeed a coaster! :realmad:

No need to get mad... get even... ;)

You too can do this at home... just follow this small guide.

Specifically...

1. Download [but do *not* install!] English (or any other available 1 if you're more comfortable with French, Italian or Polish) SHELL32.DLL fix:

* Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE Explorer Lockups With Internet Explorer 5.xx/6.xx SHELL32.DLL 4.72.3812.634 Fix:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=84451

- SHELL32.DLL Fix [517 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SHELL98.EXE

- SHELL32.DLL Fix [520 KB, French]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SHELL98F.EXE

- SHELL32.DLL Fix [520 KB, Italian]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SHELL98I.EXE

- SHELL32.DLL Fix [521 KB, Polish]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SHELL98P.EXE

This SHELL32.DLL Fix corrects Windows Explorer (and similar tools that use SHELL32.DLL APIs) lockups while trying to copy/create/move/delete/rename large number of files/folders with Internet Explorer 5.xx/6.xx already installed.

"Rearranged" for easier localization (translation into languages other than English).

BUG: This SHELL32.DLL fix breaks the ability of removing annoying arrows from Desktop shortcut icons!

FIX: See "PATCHED SHELL32.DLL BUG + FIX" for complete details:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#PSBF

2. Then copy your own German SHELL32.DLL from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM [or similar] to a separate directory [i'm gonna use C:\TEMP as example, feel free to use something else], together with the SHELL98x.EXE fix you downloaded.

3. Copy your German shell32.dll [from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM] to something else like SHELL_DE.DLL -> copy it to C:\TEMP (our example destination). You can do this from a DOS box:

COPY %windir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL C:\TEMP\SHELL_DE.DLL

Of course, you can copy that file someplace else using Windows Explorer, File Manager or any other similar file management tool.

4. Extract shell32.dll from fix, using ZIP Folders Explorer right-click menu, 7-zip, WinZIP, WinRAR, PowerArchiver or similar unzipping tool that supports MS CAB format:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#ZIP

Or just run this command from a DOS box (example using English fix + C:\TEMP as destination):

SHELL98.EXE /C /Q /T:C:\TEMP

5. D/l + install Resource Hacker (freeware):

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Open German SHELL_DE.DLL in Resource Hacker, and click around until you find the German language text strings. Save each 1 to a separate (resource) file in the same directory, which in this example is C:\TEMP [change if different].

Either write down or copy to a (different) text file the number of each string/resource, to be able to match it later with the ones in English shell32.dll fix.

6. Now open the English [fixed] SHELL32.DLL [extracted from shell98.exe] in Resource Hacker, and look for those strings/resources by matching numbers with your list in your saved text file (above).

Replace each English language string of text with the correspondent saved resource from your German shell_de.dll file, or just copy & paste each text string, if you like that better.

Save the modded file as SHELL32.DLL in the same directory (C:\TEMP in this example).

7. Reboot/exit to native DOS mode or boot to another OS, like XP, Vista, 7, Linux, MacOS X etc, if you multi-boot, or boot from a backup/rescue floppy/CD/DVD/USB stick or from a live Linux CD to be able to replace shell32.dll [must be outside Windows 98/98 SE].

How to reboot/exit to native DOS using Windows 98 SE:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip10.htm#EXIT2DOS

or see the Start Menu options:

http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#MEN

From native DOS mode [plain C:\ prompt] rename your shell32.dll from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM (back it up!) to something else, like SHELL_BK.DLL , in case you would like to use it again. Example (I'm still using C:\TEMP):

C:

CD\TEMP

ATTRIB -H -R -S %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL

REN %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL SHELL_BK.DLL

Then copy your newly modded SHELL32.DLL [the 1 you changed in Resource Hacker] to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM :

COPY /Y SHELL32.DLL %winbootdir%\SYSTEM

8. Reboot back to Windows (normal).

Done. ;)

9. [Optional... :sneaky: ] And if you do this, please e-mail me the German shell32.dll so I can create an IExpress installer and post it at my site for every1 to benefit.

Tx in advance.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
Some1 told me German modded shell32.dll is installed as part of SP2 2.1d + SP2 3.0 beta 4 (German editions). Thanks. ;-)

So I posted the IEXpress installer here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#9SU

and here:

http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

File [522 KB, German].

HTH

• 1 month later...
Some1 told me German modded shell32.dll is installed as part of SP2 2.1d + SP2 3.0 beta 4 (German editions). Thanks. ;-)

File [522 KB, German].

HTH

Thank you very much! :thumbup

:wub:

SHELL98D.EXE has installed successfully. I hope that the nasty Explorer lockup is really gone now. Crashes during file copy belong to the most annoying Win98SE bugs ever. You never know how much was copied, so it takes plenty of manual directory comparison to verify what was done, and it sometimes even ate CDRs full of precious data during UDF write access.

Edited by CyberyogiCoWindler