Explorer.exe crashes on startup

tubui

When I startup my computer and windows loading. My explorer.exe will always crash and give me the error. When I click send report, it disappears and nothing happens.

When I click more details, it says winmm.dll.

Also, I had another error with it called Smax4PNP something and it was Smax4PNP.exe but I uninstalled sound max.

How do I stop the explorer from f***ing up?

When I startup my computer and windows loading. My explorer.exe will always crash and give me the error. When I click send report, it disappears and nothing happens.

When I click more details, it says winmm.dll.

Also, I had another error with it called Smax4PNP something and it was Smax4PNP.exe but I uninstalled sound max.

How do I stop the explorer from f***ing up?

Are you 100% sure that your PC isn't infected with virus/spyware/adware ?

No I'm not 100% sure, in fact my brother was using the computer yesterday so I don't know what to do. Also I can't do s*** because everytime I run a program it gives me an error and I have to close it.

Can't even run IE or go view my folders.!

i suggest that if you have another HDD, install windows on that, and then insert the one with the explorer.exe issue in as a slave drive, retrieve your files, and be done. every time i have a problem thats what i end up doing, and its easier than trying a ton of methods to fix it.

Everybody calm down, you don't have to reinstall Windows just yet. Download autoruns (from www.sysinternals.com) and ShellExView (from www.nirsoft.net) - use autoruns to disable all non-Microsoft items, and use ShellExView to disable all non-Microsoft extensions and hooks to explorer.exe. Once you've done both, restart your machine and see if the problem occurs (if it was a software install/uninstall that caused it, you should be working properly at this point). You can either leave the system as-is, or re-enable things until the problem recurs to determine the culprit.

If autoruns/shellexview don't work, I'd give that box a good scan with up-to-date antivirus and antispyware software in safe mode, and if that fails THEN I would suggest reinstallation of the OS.

I will try that right now, but say it doesn't work.

How do I scan in Safe Mode? I can't even view IE in safe mode.

--

cluberti, how do I do what you say?

You can also try to attach this disk to another pc and run scan from it...

Does the PC in question have A/V and antispyware software installed? (it should!) If not, get them by downloading from another PC and transfer the files over, via some external method (USB key, external hard disk, CD, etc).

That's actually probably the best way to get autoruns and shellexview on the box as well.

heres the thing about reinstalling that i want to point out from details given:

My explorer.exe will always crash and give me the error.
without explorer.exe, there isn't a lot you can do. you can use the task manager to access Run, but he cant:
because everytime I run a program it gives me an error and I have to close it.

everyone seems to say Safe Mode, yet:

I can't do system restore on Safe Mode ethier. I also don't know about viewing IE on Safe Mode. Everything seems to get errors.

attaching the HDD to another computer is one way, but i think that windows is corrupt, and its not just a virus, which is why i said install windows on another disk, transfer files, and then reformat that drive. the only thing that will prevent that from working is if the account is Protected. that prevents anyone that isn't logged in to that admin account from viewing or accessing the files.

im not saying its bad advice, but i don't think people have really read into it enough to realize that there isn't much he can do booting that hard drive as a master anymore in the current situation.

Safe mode command-prompt should be sufficient to run the task - I'm not sure this has even been tried; although safe mode may have been, safe mode command prompt was not specified as attempted. Since safe mode command prompt loads absolutely no shell components, it should keep the error from occurring and should allow running the applications (as they'll run as children of the safe command prompt, not in any other shell context). Obviously if that fails, a repair install is in order, but it would at least be something to try, especially if there's data on there he'd rather not have to recover.