Virtual PC 2007 Beta 32-Bit / 64-Bit

neo

What’s new in Virtual PC 2007 Beta

Hardware-assisted virtualization*

Virtual PC 2007 includes support for virtualization technology from Intel and AMD. By default, hardware-assisted virtualization is enabled if the feature is enabled on the physical computer. You can turn this assistance on or off for each virtual machine by modifying the virtual machine settings.

Support for Windows Vista as a host operating system

This beta release of Virtual PC 2007 introduces support for Windows Vista as a host operating system. The following versions of Windows Vista are supported: Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate.

Support for Windows Vista as a guest operating system

This beta release of Virtual PC 2007 introduces support for Windows Vista as a guest operating system. The following versions of Windows Vista are supported: Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate.

Support for 64-bit host operating system

This beta release of Virtual PC 2007 supports 64-bit host operating systems. However, there is no support for 64-bit guest operating systems.

* Installing Virtual PC 2007 Beta on a computer that has AMD hardware-assisted virtualization support and uses an x64 version of Windows as the host operating system may generate a bug check and shut down the operating system. This occurs because x64 versions of the Windows operating system protect a critical system register that Virtual PC 2007 modifies to enable hardware-assisted virtualization.

Source : Microsoft Connect

Edited by neo_matrix.rs

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest matthewt
:unsure: The Virtual PC 2007 Beta should be a good one! Intel and AMD support is the best there is! Support for Windows Vista as a host operating system is essential for those of us who are striving for technical success!

• 1 month later...

x32 and x64 versions have now reached Release Candidate stage (doesn't tell you until you login to the connect site). You have to use IE x32 so that it can install a nasty ActiveX download manager. Yuk! I can't believe they still use that horrible technology.

does the 2007 version support USB? its the only thing keeping me away from using virtual pc . virtual pc 2004 is faster in my case since vmware loads like 4 services. also, virtual pc sucks when it comes to networking.

Yea I found the networking pretty good in 2004 too.

By "supports USB" if you mean as a boot device it doesn't look like it. I've not tried anything else yet.

I've just tried to use the x64 version and it doesn't seem to be x64 at all. Apart from the fact that it's not even an x64 program it doesn't have an emulated x64 proc. Most annoying.

Edited by Dobby