VIVO

KamiQuazi

@ Takeshi,

I think you got the wrong idea here, VGA cards have only video out and/or in, so there is no audio involved here. Yeah I know what you are thinking, and there is ATi and some others that have TV-tuner/audio onboard as well, but were are just talking about a VGA card with ViVo

@ lostincyberspace2007,

You can use the video-out to connect to a TV or beamer for example, the video-in you can use to connect an analog camera or VCR for example. Remember that all these connections are analog.

yes, ive done it but the quality sucks b/c the resolution is usually vry low. but its not really a tuner since u cant change the channel on ur comp, but it will at least display the video.

Quality is not much worse than the Hauppauge PVRxxx series capture cards really (well, depends on which card you're talking about, true enough). Analog capturing sucks (especially over RF lead), that's all there is to it. And indeed, it's not a tuner at all, just a composite and/or s-video input usually (coming from your cable/satellite "box", with some software having the option to use a 3rd party RF blaster to change channels sometimes)

The outputs are usually pretty good quality nowadays (again, dependso on the actual vid card - some rival the very best DVD players, others aren't so great). Composite and s-video are pretty much standard, some have component too (although not always great, as it usually won't pass HD video if there is macrovision and such). Great for HTPCs (if you're into that) or to play mpeg4 stuff on TV every once in a while (the set top "divx players" are always lagging behing tech - some just plain suck) - providing your PC is close enough to TV or you've got a long enough cable... Some cards also support WinXP MCE. If the video quality of whatever card you buy is very good and that you're willing to invest some time setting up a good decoder (like nvidia purevideo + ffdshow post processing & scaling in ZoomPlayer), you can get as good or even better picture quality than most 1000$ DVD players would give you.

@puntomx:

Can one use the vivo as a tuner?

ViVo has no COAX in so you can’t connect a TV cable directly to it, you need to have a tuner for that or you can buy directly a ATI All In one Wonder (AIW), depending on your motherboard you need to choose for AGP or PCI-E.

@puntomx:

Can one use the vivo as a tuner?

ViVo has no COAX in so you can’t connect a TV cable directly to it, you need to have a tuner for that or you can buy directly a ATI All In one Wonder (AIW), depending on your motherboard you need to choose for AGP or PCI-E.

but it does have rca in, so as long as ur tv/vcr has rca out, you're set.

You can get standalone RF tuners with composite-out at some electronics stores. I have one from 1976(!) that's still working - I use it for electronics/radio work. Of course the newer ones are digital instead of analog, but there are still advantages to analog tuners such as being able to continuously 'tune' the frequency...

@ Takeshi,

I think you got the wrong idea here, VGA cards have only video out and/or in, so there is no audio involved here. Yeah I know what you are thinking, and there is ATi and some others that have TV-tuner/audio onboard as well, but were are just talking about a VGA card with ViVo

Yeah I have ATI AIW.

I have cable TV so I don't use the analogue TV tuner (can't receive digital channels). So I connect the cable box to the ATI dongle using S-video (and audio using RCA).