5.6 and future releases wishlist

I've tried checking to see if this already exists, and can't see it...how about adding support for cab file addons as integrated by RVM Integrator - it would be really useful to post-install some of these?

The Cab files have quite a lot of info in them, including exe name, description, version and www URL which could all be picked out natively by WPI and added in to the appropriate WPI installation item fields?

Thanks, Nick

Thanks Kel - I'd already seen the specific WPI CABs that you've created - I was hoping it might be possible for WPI to support all the existing CABs that lots of other people have created, without needing to re-write them all?

Nick

1. I might be a bit late with this for 5.6 but could you add cross-referencing between exclusions and grayed conditions.

I.e. when an item is already installed (and gcond) the exclusion still applies. So that both install options are locked out.

At the moment if this occurs, the installed item is gray but becomes selectable, as well as the item it's supposed to exclude.

Note: I have the disable check box option on for grayed conditions

2. Add Hidec to the tools dir instead of cmdow. It's a much better util for hiding console windows!

Here in also lies the answer to hiding the %SLEEP% var.

At the moment I use this:

%wpipath%\Tools\Hidec.exe /w Sleep.exe 15

If it helps!

Thanks.

Edited by kof94

The ability to be able to restart the machine during the installation process (already possible i know) and have WPI automatically resume where it left off.

I know if you open WPI again after a restart where all the programs were not installed, it asks you if you would like to continue, but if your trying to do the install automatically this doesnt work, as you have to monitor the progress and manually open WPI again to continue.

I know you probably dont need this often, but i came across a problem when trying to install Windows Defender. It requires Windows Installer 3.1 to be installed, and the machine didnt have it. Configured WPI to install Windows Installer, but it likes to restart after installation... so you have to manually restart WPI after the machine restarts...

thanks!

BTW, absolutely fantastic software!

@Ninja750 This functionality already exists. WPI should automatically resume after a reboot during an install via a runonce registry entry WPI makes at the beginning of the installation process. You should not have to manually restart WPI. If it is not behaving this way you should post a topic to resolve the issue.

I'll admit it. I'm lazy at times. More comfy with batch than JS.

I like checkboxes. Things like OSes, reboot, etc. I really liked the WaitCfg tool, but that project died.

I would like to see built in support for the most commonly used cmd functions (del, ren, erase, move,etc...) so I dont have to tinker with it myself.

How about adding a feature where it does a file check to disable (or change color of installed apps) eg

inst[p] = '%ProgramFiles%\ahead\nero\nero.exe'

or atleast add an invert or unselct defaults (as I like to run this after my main install to get access to other apps to install. . . I just let the defaults go on first time round'

as such a tool this is can you add a way to turn off the timer when it's being called :-

command line (probably not possiable with mshta)

file check (%SystemDrive%\notime.ini) delete this on exit of the app (that way I can batch the file creation before I call WPIw (from autorun.inf, Batchfiles etc)

No problems with the app here in 5.5 (major anyways) although I have moved the Install button seperate from the rest and put it in the bottom right corner (makes more sense to me)! I can't hardley wait for the theme creator to be done!

p.s. is there a way to make the background black while it populates my list (cause bright white stands out)!

Takes a while to do this as Bashrat's Driver finisher seams to run 2-5 seconds after my RunonceEx has called WPIw????

An option to enable the mouse IN tooltips would by very nice.

e.g. to display links to the app-homepages - now i can display the links but I'm not able to click on the links because the tooltip disapears if I move the mouse out auf the current app-title.

A summary in WPI and while install would be very nice too.

in WPI: how many apps in sum, how many apps in actual category (after categoryname), eventually how many selected apps in sum and per category

while install: just a hint like: "installing app x of y" and a liite hint of the app category (even the install done "by categories")

Al

Edited by AlBundy33

An option to enable the mouse IN tooltips would by very nice.

e.g. to display links to the app-homepages - now i can display the links but I'm not able to click on the links because the tooltip disapears if I move the mouse out auf the current app-title.

A summary in WPI and while install would be very nice too.

in WPI: how many apps in sum, how many apps in actual category (after categoryname), eventually how many selected apps in sum and per category

while install: just a hint like: "installing app x of y" and a liite hint of the app category (even the install done "by categories")

Al

Love these ideas! :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

I am taking notes on your ideas. Keep them coming.

I didn't write the tooltip code, but I do like that idea. I may know of a way to do it.

In what I am calling the "Pro" version of WPI, I have a counter of "selected/total" at the bottom on the main window, and in the installer "current/total" counting up. And a count-up timer. Nout sure what will become of it; the grid is still in limbo. Haven't done much with it, but I now know how to get around the problem.

Have some new features Lawrenca wrote in the Config wizard done. The Config wizard also now adjusts to your screen width to get maximum real-estate used.

More Config wizard short cuts to come.

A summary in WPI-log would also be very nice:

e.g. how many apps should by installed, how many exited successful, how many failed etc.

My script can install over 500 apps and I don't want to search the log for possible errors. ;)

Al

Edited by AlBundy33