Cryptographic Services Error 127

Closersource

When recently performing maintenance on a Windows XP Professional SP1 machine, the system locked up after uninstalling several hotfixes to prepare for a clean SP2 installation. All functions related to Cryptographic Services were disabled or deauthenticated, This reset and revoked the driver certificates for most of the hardware on the machine, and thus required a painstaking reinstallation of those hardware drivers one by one. I realize the solution would be to reinstall Windows but I do not want to reformat.

I have pinpointed the problem to the cryptographic services, as it refuses to startup. I have read the Microsoft KB on this issue and have also tried the suggestions put forth by Marc Liron\s updatexp article on this issue. The service still does not start it will only yield Error 127.

"Could not start the Cryptographic Services."

"Error 127. The specified procedure could not be found."

I have scanned for damaged and/or corrupt system files but the scans turn up negative. System restore is disabled so there is no restore point. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

As to the links provided...

I have already tried them and they do not change the situation.

As to dial-a-fix it is an interesting package but it does nto do anything that I can\t already do manually.

Most importantly with cryptographic services disabled the whole Windows Update or anything relating to signed drivers (basically any system repair or patch) is unable to properly run.